Wishbass Club 2.0....Out of the Ashes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I took a Wish with a single-coil J style pickup to my repair guy and asked him to shield it to reduce the hum. He kinda scrunched up his nose and told me his experience was shielding didn't help that much, and instead suggested a stacked volume/tone pot to just back off the treble to reduce the hum. I went with it, and now I will say it's helpful with both the hum, and adjusting the bass if I'm using two basses on a gig. With just this Wish, of course I can dial in tone with the amp, but with another bass, it's hard to set the amp where both basses like it, so the tone control helps quite a bit.

BillyB_from_LZ likes this.
  2. Steve says these are "paintbrushes for musicians." Elsewhere on Talkbass you'll read that "tone is all in your hands." I have been delighted to play a bass with just one knob. I use technique to change the sound of my Wishbasses.

3. I've had this bass all freaking year and I finally got her talking! When I was finishing her, I broke the wire off the piezo. Then I replaced the piezo with another disc piezo and it didn't really have even coverage of the strings. THEN I put in an under-bridge piezo and built a little buffer for it, but hooked it to a jack that didn't fit into the control cavity, so I jacked up the jack. Finally I got a open frame stereo jack and hooked it up and realized I needed to shield the buffer so it would be less antenna-like.

But NOW.

NOW!

IT'S ALIVE!

It's a track that I don't think sounds as bad as the last one, except for my inability to play my own bass in the upper register. Have a listen, have a look. Or, you know, don't. Either way is fine.

20210402_215753.jpg 20210402_215851.jpg 20210402_215901.jpg

eli, andy1357 and wave rider like this.
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    All right... who bought this $&%^! thing??!? I'm kinda relieved and kinda pissed at the same time...

scarab birdseye, mahogany didn't buy.jpg

cheapbasslovin and wave rider like this.
  5. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    ^^^ That’s a lovely one!

6. balaena01

balaena01

Apr 21, 2021
    Hi, I’m japanese.
    I uploaded my wishbass photo and sound.
    This is a recording I made 4 years ago.

8C1A8FF9-7E8E-4AAC-BD88-D0A2B34AC32B.jpeg

cheapbasslovin and wave rider like this.
  7. Steve has MANY new basses listed on Ebay right now. Go support him and bring a new one home.

andy1357, wave rider and Actuary X like this.
  8. ElectricaNada

ElectricaNada

Jun 9, 2019
    When I was deciding to buy a Banana Bass, I could only find the one demo. So here’s another:

It’s recorded with the iPad mic, so not ideal, but it still sounds pretty good. Everything is 100% improvised. I think I probably started with the ronroco part and then overdubbed the others.

andy1357, wave rider and jbybj like this.
  9. ElectricaNada

ElectricaNada

Jun 9, 2019
    I found a couple more in my files and uploaded them. All with iPad mic:

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  10. I live on the New York shore of Lake Champlain about 120 miles north of Albany, 100 miles south of Montreal and not far from Burlington, Vermont. Anyone in the area with an interest in Wishbass?

11. Yeah, you saw mine at the Whallonsburg Grange.

12. Good morning! I didn't know you were on here! You're a lefty. Right?

13. vanern

vanern

Nov 10, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    Yes, I live in the Rutland, VT area and own three Wishbasses. We talked before via private message.

boombloom likes this.
  14. You have me at a disadvantage. I looked back through my private message history and didn't see anything. I figure Rutland is about 90 minutes away. If you have any urge to expand your Wishbass collection I might have a few for you!....

15. Yes. DSC00514.JPG

16. Steve's sales are slow. He says "everyone's gone to the beach". Check Ebay for Wishbass and for Wishnevsky and support our favorite luthier. He would sure appreciate a boost right now! He has a mahogany "new model" guitar listed that he says is the best yet.

17. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    hoping to see the new model cos IMO he's kinda in a design rut on basses, there's no shortage in production but the exceptional pieces that buyers jump on are scarcer currently. I'm always waiting for THE one but too much output recently has been mediocre in looks, and looks is one of his ironic strong points that he might consider refocusing on for better sales. he does keep trying new things and is open to sensible critique and suggestions, gotta love the guy, may he find more new successes!

18. I have a new model. It's pretty good. He says this one is the best. Wishnevsky New Model Finger-picking Guitar 100 year old Mahogany | eBay

19. AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM STEVE WISHNEVSKY..... Steve sent this to me and asked me to post it here on Talkbass.

Wishbass Future. Have been getting queries as to my retirement. In the first place, I have nowhere enough income to retire. So, the deal is I have two brands involved, Wishnevsky Strings, and Wishbass. Wishnevsky strings was the hobby, and wishbass was the company. I now use wishbass for basses, and wishnevsky strings for acoustics. I learned to make guitars from David A Sturgill of Piney Creek NC, almost fifty years ago. So, I approached a local charity and offered to donate my shop equipment to them if they could find me a shop for a couple years. That has evolved into the Alleghany Musical Arts Academy, which will teach people about the Appalachian methods of making musical instrument and music. Low key, resource efficient, and innovative in a naïve manner. Anyway, negotiations are underway. If anybody wants to buy wishbass.com, name, goodwill, patterns and designs, I would sell for one year’s gross. Tools and machinery not included. If this succeeds, and we get a charter, we will solicit donations of old instruments, ephemera, and media. Of especial interest will forms, tooling, patterns, and other items related to homemade music. Thanks Stephen T. Wishnevsky. Home ~ Wishbass ~ Custom Built Instruments ~ Hand Made

wave rider likes this.
  20. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    as always, if you want a Wishanything you better act soon, no telling if there's tomorrow.

been meaning to ask Steve about a piezo problem with the G not even close to equal output on my Wish cedar V, anyone had a similar issue with theirs? never dug into one to know diddly.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021