1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wishbass Club 2.0....Out of the Ashes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. I couldn’t help thinking this comment was a bit ironic:

“Some people make stuff to look good; I make stuff to sound good,” he says.”

I like his basses precisely because they look unique and cool!

2. I assume many of you have seen this instrument, but for those of you who haven’t, you’re in for quite a surprise. Take a look at the video.

I had no idea that Wish made stuff like this. Eleven strings, but it’s not just the radical (but cool!) design - it also has frets, but not just any frets, though, it has fanned frets! I never would have expected fanned frets from Wish.

And of course the headstock also looks totally unlike his normal bass headstocks (it looks more like what you’d see on a Warr Guitar). It's also apparently designed for tapping, which I also wouldn’t have expected.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    MonetBass and kesslari like this.
  3. You dream it up, he'll likely give it a shot. Go ahead and collaborate with him. I'm sure he'd make you a fanned fret bass if you asked, or anything else. I have a couple of instruments from him that I really can't discuss because they sort of use someone else's ideas but he could do it at a small fraction of the price.

LeftyStrings likes this.
  4. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    People can mock, but to me every Wishbass is a work of art.

boombloom likes this.
  5. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    My only personal concern with a wishbass is that "Mr Wish" doesn't always commit to quality.
    I think that it is expected that a certain unkown factor is built into the price.

I bought a wishbass that showed up with a horn that was obviously cracked and probably glued.
    When brought to his attention, I would say his response was along the lines of "oh.. it's not that bad."

I asked that a special fiddle / macca bass be created. it showed up a little off... lacking symmetry... my read (as someone who renovates homes) is that he tried and then sort of gave up.

The best advice that i have seen on this thread is to buy something that has already been made. then you generally know what you're getting.

don't get me wrong.. i appreciate my wishbasses, blemishes and all.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. I just spent 15 joyful minutes playing a Wishnevsky Resno Octave Mandolin. There is nothing else like it on earth. Sounds great. Lots of fun.

reddog likes this.
  7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The customer playing this bass (Ohkawa Kio on facebook) actually designed it and sent a very detailed drawing to Steve, who followed it quite faithfully. And Steve farms out fretwork, he doesn't bother doing it himself anymore.

reddog, LeftyStrings and wave rider like this.
  8. Ah, ok, now I get it - I didn’t realize that the design was the player’s and I also didn’t know that Steve did that sort of thing. Very cool. I had only found the Japanese guy’s YouTube page, which didn’t explain much, but now that I see his Facebook page, he talks about his various designs for monster basses.

That’s another great service Steve is providing, then, if you ask me - building dream instruments (I hesitate to call it a bass since it seems more like a far out Warr Guitar) for people who couldn’t otherwise afford to hire their own luthier to build something so radical and “out there.”

9. I would say that if Steve were to concern himself with imperfections and if he were to really spend a lot of time on quality control, he’d never be able to make basses at his price point. I bought one of his Longhorns recently and it was only $200. That is a stunningly low price for an instrument that looks cool, feels good, and has nice wood. Now, is it symmetrical? No, it sure isn’t - but I supppse that I could always have it worked on to make it fully symmetrical if I wanted to. But right now I don’t mind. It looks cool either way.

Incidentally, if you are concerned with symmetry, you can still get a Wishbass - but just don’t get one that requires symmetry: so avoid his fiddle basses and the longhorn basses, for example. His lobes do not require symmetry, so that may be a better choice. Also, I would add that in my experience the lobe is probably the Wishbass that look most polished nowadays (I don’t mean literally polished - I mean the most professionally done), probably because the lobe is the model he’s made the most often.

reddog likes this.
  10. I asked on Facebook and Steve said that he will make one of these fanned fret “monster basses” for “under a thousand.” Wow, that’s crazy.

I own a lot of instruments but none with fanned frets, so I’m not even sure if I’d like them or not. But it sure does look cool. Not sure if I’ll ever commission him to make something this radical, but it’s an interesting prospect knowing that it’s possible - since I’d never be able to afford to have anyone else make something like this for me.

I play Chapman Stick, so maybe a crazy tapping instrument like the “monster bass” would be fun. And the prospect of just making something up is also extremely intriguing. I’ve never even thought of such things because I figured I could never have them made. Possibilities!

11. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    indeed, symmetry is not Wish's zone.... i guess i'd summarize things by saying that it's risky if you special order anything that requires symmetry.

my issue now is to get some frets put into a couple of my many lobes. :)

12. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I've posted before, but here is one of Steve's early fanned frets. Beautiful instrument!

IMG_3057.JPG

13. A fanned hipper! That’s awesome.

14. Can anyone recommend someone other than Thunderitter to do some nice work and refinishing on a Wishbass? I heard back from Dave and he isn’t taking any new work right now.

15. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think this sums up a lot.

16. I know Scott White is on here and the Facebook Wish Enthusiasts page and does really nice work. Not sure how often though.

And on another tangent, when did Wish start putting the stickers on his basses? To me the basses keep looking better these days, but those stickers just don’t do it for me. It’d be cool if he could just brand that stuff in. Oh well, at least it’s on the back! :)

LeftyStrings and wave rider like this.
  17. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    They've been there for quite some time, but until VERY recently they were clear, not white. I'm with you, I prefer the clear ones!

wave rider likes this.
  18. Mine doesn’t have a sticker, but was shipped to me ‘raw’ so it could be given the once-over by Thunderitter.

Hope he goes back to clear! And glad to see I wasn’t the only one with this opinion.

19. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Yep, especially this particular quote.
    "I used to make dope pipes, made thousands of them, every one different, but they all worked. Put the dope in this end, suck on the other. No problem."