1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wishbass Club 2.0....Out of the Ashes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd buy a Wish bong in half a toke! maybe collect them all lol

wave rider likes this.
  2. Thanks for the reference - I will try to contact Scott, then.

I see that the sticker is on one of my recent Wishbasses but not on another, so it may not be something he does consistently.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. What’s the deal with the books Wish offers free via Facebook every week? These are all authored by him? They say ST Wishnevsky. So he’s a novelist and a historian, too? This week’s free book is in part about General Patton.

4. Yes. He is a prolific author.

LeftyStrings likes this.
  5. Wow, where does he find the time!

This week’s free book that is partially about Patton looks really interesting so I just downloaded it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. Could you post the link to the Wishbass Enthusiast Facebook page? I can’t seem to find it. Unless it’s the same as Steve’s Wishbass Facebook page-? I know that page.

7. Log into Facebook | Facebook

LeftyStrings likes this.
  8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

LeftyStrings likes this.
  9. Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  10. Anyone else like the longhorn Wishbasses? I’ve been placing what I would call “informal orders” lately where I mention something to Wish and he makes it, puts it on eBay, and I buy it. I’m not generally very particular, so I haven’t always specified woods and things like that, so I didn’t think I needed to place formal custom orders.

Well, the result is that I have a growing army of Wishbasses and Wishnevsky instruments in my house. I got a lovely six-string fantasy from him recently that is really nice, but somewhat to my surprise I’m enjoying the Longhorn the most. I just love the feel. And it’s not even a lefty - but with the double-cutaway it doesn’t really matter.

reddog and wave rider like this.
  11. I started with On Haight and enjoyed it. I read a couple of the apocalyptic fantasies. He creates interesting universes. The book on the blues is pretty fascinating. I read the Huck Finn one. Have yet to read the one about the Army General but I have it on the Kindle.

LeftyStrings likes this.
  12. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Well, this is really a fascinating business process! Have you ever not bought anything you asked him to make because it didn't come out the way you were hoping? Or had it snapped out from under you before you saw it?

LeftyStrings likes this.
  13. Well, I probably made it sound even slightly more formal than it is, actually. I haven’t so far actually directly asked him to make anything for me, per se, but at this point, it’s pretty clear regardless. It started out because I wanted to know if and when he might make some more lefties. So he said, sure I can make a lefty. So then I asked if maybe he might consider making a lefty fantasy six-string and he said he could. It was certainly implied that I would buy it, though, and I did.

So far I’ve been happy with everything I’ve bought and have bought everything he’s made that was based on my mentioning it to him. And no one has so far bought anything he made for me before I had a chance to buy it either - though that may be because they’re lefty instruments so they may not sell as quickly.

I think that Wish probably knew I would buy what I mentioned to him because I’d already bought some instruments from him - the longhorn I mentioned, a fiddle bass, and a symmetrical octave mandolin, all of which are right handed, but since they’re all symmetrical, I can just flip them around and play them lefty.

Of course, nobody actually •needs• this many instruments, but I’m pretty sure most everyone here probably has more than they need too, right?

wave rider and bholder like this.
  14. All this talk of orders from Wish. I just commissioned a tele shaped resophonic guitar with no pick up. He's got some good clean poplar around for the body. It will have some fancy veneer. Mass produced neck. He'll send me photos of the build and keep me up to date. I'm paying more than he would ask for it on eBay, but he deserves the respect we'd give to every other builder. I'm hoping for the ultimate campfire guitar. Loud and indestructible. We'll see. Sometimes you let go of the arrow and wait a while to see if it will hit the target.

15. I just asked him. He says he used to brand his instruments but one day he burned his hand pretty badly and decided to change to stickers.....

16. His Autobiography is interesting. His book on how Hippies ruined old time music is thoughtful and a lot of fun.

LeftyStrings likes this.
  17. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    What is this "need" thing you speak of?

(I'm up to 20 myself including 2 Wishbasses)

LeftyStrings likes this.
  18. My own collection has really grown since the divorce.

LeftyStrings and jumbodbassman like this.
  19. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    my over 100 collection ( dozen or so WB) helped my divorce along.... LOL and it has grown since with what money after alimony i have. LMAO

LeftyStrings and kodiakblair like this.