1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wishbass Club 2.0....Out of the Ashes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Same here. No idea what "need" is, also 20 basses PLUS 2 Wishbasses.

LeftyStrings and reddog like this.
  2. Darn straight but it's a whole lot of fun :D

55 Peaveys
    4 Harley Bentons
    3 Tune Bass
    2 Lobes
    2 Retrovibes
    1 Curbow
    1 Wilson
    1 Dano
    1 Vigier

And few sundry others :thumbsup:

LeftyStrings and reddog like this.
  3. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Not a single SX? Shame, shame, shame.

kodiakblair likes this.
  4. Divorce, impending divorce, or just a displeased wife seem to be themes with us guys who have a lot of instruments. Here’s a screenshot from a Facebook Rhodes Piano page that I saw the other day. If wives don’t like a bunch of basses, imagine how they react to giant electro-mechanical 70s pianos!

Attached Files:

jumbodbassman likes this.
  5. Nice!! Wow, 55 Peaveys!

I love my Vigier.

6. Any model they released,I'll have one.

The Vigier along with my fretless Tune are "to the death" basses. Spent more than half my life GASsing for them so they're with me till the end :thumbsup:

LeftyStrings likes this.
  7. I feel the same way about my Vigier, a fretless six-string lefty - and about my Minimoog Voyager.

kodiakblair likes this.
  8. If anyone here is the moderator (or whatever it’s called on Facebook) of the Facebook Wishbass Enthusiasts club, please confirm me - I tried joining a few days ago. My name is Chris.

9. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    “Hi Chris!!”

LeftyStrings and kodiakblair like this.
  10. It's a pubic group. I think you just join and that's it. Are you set up to "follow" the group? Someone will show up to teach you the secret handshake and you send your lavish dues to me.

LeftyStrings and wave rider like this.
  11. Well, I’ve joined now but I have yet to learn the secret handshake lol

kodiakblair likes this.
  12. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    First you stick wormy maple splinters in your hand...

13. One of the many things I like about Wishbasses is that their price-point makes it so that I don’t worry about them as much - and this leads to more playing. I toss one in the car now, often even without a case (the necks seem pretty indestructible), and take them on overnight trips, and sometimes I just leave one lying next to my bed to play at night. I’d never dream of doing something like this with my Vigier....but what this means is that I don’t play the expensive instruments all that much. I find that I spend far more time playing Wishbasses.

14. I really am a Wish-a-holic....I’m checking eBay to see when he’s going to list that lefty Hipper he’s been working on. Ambrosia maple sounds nice.

15. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If I have to leave a bass in a car for any appreciable length of time, there's only one that gets the nod.

LeftyStrings likes this.
  16. The Czar

The Czar

Oct 16, 2018
    Hello everyone, I'm new to talk bass and this thread...although I have talked a little on one of the other wishbass threads.

I just bought my first wishbass and it came two days ago. I plan on putting D'adarrio half flat strings on it, because it came with roundwound and I don't like them.

Two questions:
    Have any of you added string ferrules to your wishbass? And to what affect?

The half rounds should save my purple heart neck from being marked up right?
    And how do you feel about half rounds over flats?

Thanks

...oh yeah, here is my bass

Attached Files:

17. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have string ferrules on one. I don’t think it made any difference in tone or durability. They were useful for running a ground to the electronics from the strings. Corian bridges make crappy conductors.

The purple heart board will show a lot of string marks before you will be able feel anything while you play. If you are going to play the living daylights out of this thing, or simply want to maintain the aesthetic, think about getting it coated. Simple and cheap Mylar, or less simple and more expensive Epoxy. Half wounds will be kinder to the wood than rounds. If you really want to go easy try some tape wound flats.

wave rider likes this.

18. Welcome to this mysterious group. Someone will magically appear to show you the secret handshake and you will be buying another Wishbass soon.

LeftyStrings and wave rider like this.
  19. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    WHAT a doll you got!

I have an Arrow with a purpleheart board that I finished with boiled linseed oil. My newer one came stright from Mr. W with some kind of clear gloss finish on it. I use Elixir strings on *all* of my basses, and they have not worn either board yet... can't remember if there are even marks, and I'm out of town so I can't check. The Elixir coating seems to me to drastically reduce any string wear... I've had them on basses since they came out in the 90s(right?) and have not needed to get any fretless boards dressed in all that time.

In any event, you said of the strings "I don't like them". Did you mean that particular set, or roundwounds in general? Is your new Wish board coated or raw? If it's raw, the best advice I ever heard was: use the strings that have the tone and feel you like, and perhaps your fingerboard will need to be dressed every few years. If it's coated, the process will be somewhat more costly. But hey, it's a tool that with use will require maintenance.

wave rider likes this.