1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass Club 2.0....Out of the Ashes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. It looks much bigger than I imagined. What's the string length on yours? And what's it like to play? How does it sound?

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Dig that crazy bow technique! Not sure that's what they meant by "swinging" at the bass...

3. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    30 inches, very short scale. Almost no volume without a pickup, but I like having it on the stand if I hear something on TV or youtube I want to run through quickly.

Playing it is a bit awkward, I never put strap buttons on it, so sitting down, the upper bout is almost in your face. With a cheap soundhole pickup, I'm able to dial in very warm upright tone (I installed an old set of TI flats on it). I also had to file the nut slots quite a bit to get the action down (no truss rod remember).

Great little bass, always a conversation starter whenever I bring it out. That's why I'm tempted to grab one or both of those on ebay if for nothing else but a wall hanger!

4. The two currently listed are 32". He had a solid top banana as well, but that one sold. He's pretty eager to move some basses now. This is a great opportunity.

5. Steve Wishnevsky has just dropped all of his Ebay Wishnevsky items (Not Wishbass) to $100+shipping. He's got some cool stuff on there, but he's really struggling. Help him out.

6. nofretRechabite

nofretRechabite

Oct 2, 2018
    I just bought a wishbass and when it arrived I plugged it in to find a loud humming noise. It sounds like the strings are not grounded. I don't know how to ground this bass w/o a metal bridge. Has anyone else had this problem?

7. ElectricaNada

ElectricaNada

Jun 9, 2019
    Absent installing a metal bridge or tailpiece, it's necessary to ground each string. Take a short piece of copper wire, strip it, wrap it around each string, and then to the volume pot's ground. Alternatively, ground a bolt (or a piece of fret wire, or some other thin piece of metal), then slide the bolt under the strings behind the bridge so that it touches each string right in front of the string exit holes.

If you want to do it on the back of the guitar, then ground the metal string ferrules. Or push a long thin nail through all of the string ends (thus rendering the ferrules unnecessary), and then ground the nail.

This is one thing I wish Steve would take care of before sending his guitars out. It's not like anyone is buying them to play acoustically.

8. nofretRechabite

nofretRechabite

Oct 2, 2018
    Ok that makes sense. Thanks a lot. I believe I can take care of this hum now.

9. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I think Steve’s fitting humbucking p-ups in all his basses these days, so in my experience the humming will go if you rewire and then (optional) shield the cavity, which you can do with either paint or copper tape. Back in the days when he used EMG Selects (single coil) I had a number of real buzzers that were ‘cured’ with a re-wire and shielding.

wave rider and washjayb like this.
  10. Steve's cut prices again. He's having a rough time. Search Ebay for Wishbass and also for Wishnevsky. I just bought a little parlor guitar based octave Mando and an old time b@njo. Let's give Wish a hand.

11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If you ever thought about trying a Wishbass, I wouldn’t wait.

12. And now more from Wish. We're all here because we appreciate this builder. Let's support him.

"Found enough wood for five more bass necks, anybody want a simple custom, speak now. "

wave rider likes this.
  13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    eons ago he freebee'd me a rare MicroFrets PU, in hard times I'm gonna toss him back some cash
    after a decade of GASing for a Wish I've concluded the fat neck isn't for me, if I never get my dream Wishbass it won't hurt quite as bad if this is Steve's swan song, but I sure hope he can weather the storm.

wave rider likes this.
  14. ALERT: Steve Just lowered prices on all his basses on EBAY. Go buy one. I particularly like the black 5 string JJK.

15. You should grab it. I've used those Kmise necks and I'm impressed.

Pretty sure if Steve is using Kmise pickups he's using their necks,bridges and tuners too.

16. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Grabbed one of those potentially last few. Been thinking of an 8-string for a while. Think this is my 4th one, got a stude and refinned it ages ago, another that turned out to have active woodwork that is still sitting about awaiting some grafts to the now missing parts, and a 4 string fretted scarab. So I'll wind up with a 4 and 8 set.

[​IMG]

kodiakblair likes this.
  17. Steve is discounting basses on Ebay right now to pay for his upcoming relocation. Great opportunity to get another Wishbass!

chrisbone and wave rider like this.
  18. The less he has to transport the better :thumbsup:

JEDI BASS and wave rider like this.
  19. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Would someone please snap up that MVB. I don’t need another one. The ergonomics of the MVB are fantastic - I know it doesn’t look like it! Also, Please someone buy that JB. I have one 75% through refin, I don’t need another, but what a fun bass the JB is!

wave rider likes this.