1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass Club (Part V...what's really under that skin?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Nov 28, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    :D

3. Sweeeeet. That's a whole lot of Wish!

4. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    perfect ! may I be the first to post pix on the thread continuation thread.

these are of # 1109 refinished.
    bass is :
    yellowheart body
    yellowheart , purpleheart, maple neck
    purpleheart fingerboard
    ph nut, bridge and control cavity cover

Well, I gotta say, I am Lovin This Bass ! It is solidly built and the wood is all beautiful. The fingerboard has really nice, mild flame figure and sick grain pattern. The yellowheart is all shimmery and reflective.
    The bass came unfinished ( to put it mildly ) The neck was just cut on the bandsaw it seems. No sanding . Just sharp cut edges. The FB was sanded pretty well and played pretty well right out of the box. The body has very unsanded edges. But THE TONE was there. So I got to work re-routing the strings thru the bottom, not back of the bass. Did alot of sanding. Re-radiused the FB to 16" and sanded it down the 600 grit.
    Made a new nut and bridge. And finished the body with tru oil. 2 coats with a light sanding between coats with 800 grit. Back of the neck same thing but sanded afterwards lightly with 800 grit for a satin feel. And the fingerboard I finished with Harolds feed n wax.
    I also had David King make me acouple knobs which I had about a week after ordering them !
    I am becoming somewhat knowledgeable about fretless basses. I have had a few nice ones. This one is the nicest. I know some won't believe, but that is ok. I know what I am saying and this bass has THE tone I think of when I think " fretless ". So buzzy and mwah out the mwahzoo. I could never get that buzzy Padula ? like sound. But this bass sounds amazing, truly.
    before
    001.jpg
    and after
    Yellowheart002.jpg

Yellowheart005.jpg
    Yellowheart006.jpg Yellowheart004.jpg

Yellowheart003.jpg
    Yellowheart001.jpg

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    ^ Looks great.

Just a couple of questions: why re-route the strings, string angle?

Also, looks like you filled the top holes and started afresh?

6. Great idea about spray-painting the bridge. So good, in fact, that I just pulled my bridge (after marking its position with masking tape) and coat #1 is drying on the deck now. The little swirls from Wish's grinder look kinda cool in the satin-black paint. Let's see how future coats go !! :)

7. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    thanks. I re-routed the strings for two reasons really. One , the way it came, the bridge was right up on the pup and straight across, not angled. So I moved the bridge back 3/4". And the nut too. which meant I had to cut the FB back too. And then move the dots. actually I drilled out the old ones and put in new brass nails.:)
    I had to drill new holes because the bridge pretty much covers the old ones now.
    The other reason is I like string thru body but the angle is not so good for strings. Especially flats. They can break easier. There is something about the idea of the strings anchoring into the end of the solid rail of a neck that appeals to me. idunno. it's just cool .
    the neck is off in a wierd angle. I guess the taper cut or something was off a little. If you lined the strings up perfectly to the bridge, they dont go down the neck perfectly straight. the neck "appears" to be bent. it is not of course. I used percision straight edges on it. But the cut is bent or curved. I planed it down to correct this some, but couldn't go too far for fear of making the FB too narrow somewhere.

So now the bridge could be adjusted for intonation and it's a little more bass-y. I really love the way it plays and sounds.

call me member 1109. :D

8. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    also, this bass has 39 positions . lol. seriously. all playable.. sick !

9. That's SICK!!! I'm only getting around 27 with mine.

10. yogadork

yogadork

Mar 26, 2008
    Beautiful bass, congrats

11. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Looking great rythman6969!

Did you gain about 3/8ths with the string redrill?

=wr=

12. Just finished doing some recording with my Wish. I tried every effect in my arsenal to get a good sound with just an acoustic guitar as the backing track, and NOTHING worked.

Then, I did the smart thing. I ran direct with just a little compression and there it was. The perfect tone. This bass just sounds GOOD. Doesn't need all the extra crap I load on when I usually track bass. Of course, its an acoustic track I'm working on, but wow. She just sounds sweet, naked with nothing but the tone of the instrument.

Anybody else here in the club use their Wishbasses on recordings? Not the youtube stuff we've all seen and heard, but club members? Have you used your Wish on tape and to what degree of success?

13. Rip - What kind of compressor are you using and what settings do you find work best? I know it depends on the song, but just curious to see how folks do stuff. I'll be
    getting my first Wish next week and plan to do some recording soon after
    that. I'll keep you posted.

14. 5108: its an effects preset on an old Roland VS recorder. Factory preset for slap bass, but I use it for slower stuff cuz it just brings the bass into the mix nice. Not exactly sure of the settings. I'll get back to you on that.

My advice when recording your Wish, don't pile on the effects, though. Let the tone of the instrument do its thing. With the pickup so close to the bridge on mine, the mids cut through very sweetly. Sits really well with a couple tracks of acoustic guitar.

15. zMatko

zMatko

Jun 17, 2009
    I slightly like the blocky accent on the lower bout, but it got cut off now i realize.

16. Ahhhh. Painted the white Corian bridge with a satin-finish black enamel. Three coats, simple as can be, and it looks fantastic. Did the nut, too, with a wide-tip and fine-point Sharpie, just to get an idea what it would look like. I'll probably go over the nut again with real paint on a little brush rather than busting it off the neck.

Pics hopefully in the morning when I get some sunlight.

17. _Sasquatch_

_Sasquatch_

Sep 27, 2009
    Michigan
    The wish is finally done, this is my first attempt at refin and it turned out great.
    IMG_2762.jpg
    ^ photo before I strung it up
    IMG_2765.jpg
    ^ Shot showing the purple speed knob
    IMG_2767.jpg
    ^ one of the first things after the reshaping, the brass side dots
    IMG_2768.jpg
    ^ fretboard shot
    IMG_2771.jpg
    ^ purpleheart cavity cover and string ferrules

Im gonna mess with the action a bit more when I get some free time.

I would also like to thank all of you for your helpful tips along the way. You guys convinced me to buy one of these when I was supsicious about them, the whole no truss rod thing. This is one of the best sounding basses I've ever played.

Oh, and its just under 3 octaves.

18. Yeah, the truss rod thing got me at first, too. Took a long time to get past that. Just made a believer out of my guitarist too. He's planning a Wipoopiear in the future.

Try this: do that harmonic thing where you hit a harmonic and bend it by pushing on the neck. You CAN'T DO IT on a Wishbass. That neck ain't going anywhere!!!

Just did some more sanding to my bridge, and the action is now lower than my Traben, and no bad side effects!!! Freakin' sweet.

19. _Sasquatch_

_Sasquatch_

Sep 27, 2009
    Michigan
    Lol, yeah this thing is a tree trunk, it does get pretty thin around the headstock, thin for a wishbass that is. Im gonna do more adjusting to the nut and bridge, I like my action very low. Im still in love with your fantasy rip! I'm thinking of ordering a six string fantasy in the future. Another odd thing on the neck of this wish is it has a "spine", like this part that sticks out a bit that is surprisingly comfortable. Im not sure if wish does this on his other basses or not.

20. Nice work, Sasq.

Mine doesn't have a spine on the neck - it's a smooth profile. I know what you're talking about - my Krappy upright has a bit of a spine in the center, but the Wishy doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.