1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass Club (Part VI - The Cult of Wishbass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 16, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Geez, you go away for a few days and all hell breaks loose in the Wish thread. Many things in the last few pages I want to address, but it's late, so let me just say, as if anybody really cared, that Jumbod's extreme scroll is my favorite Wishbass of all, to date.

fp08.

I am having impure thoughts as I type this.

Yes, I do have a project bass made from one of Dave's Unorthodox bodies. posted a vid on youtube about it too.
    DSCF3030.

NIce work people, repairing, shaping, refinishing, showing pictures. Thanks, JBY

2. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I dare say we've got our own 'Luthier's Corner' going on here, as well as a 'Show Your Basses' thread. I love it.

Oh, we care all right. Jim's extreme Scroll is indeed a looker - I'm not normally a fan of that body style but this one has got my attention! Very nice ...

3. Those Fodera copies are AMAZING. I seriously see that as a project for me at some point. Those things are absolutely beautiful. If I had the time right now... :crying:

4. Nice vid Rip. I thought you said this was an acoustic gig? If so, I can't imagine what an 'electric' gig would be like...

I just posted a video that some of you guys may like as well. It's not Wish-based though. It's a solo drum piece I did with a local dance company. Enjoy?

5. That was the last song of the set, decided to get heavy just for good measure. Glad you like it.

6. It's cool to hear recordings of the music people do here. I'd certainly like to hear more, especially if it's using a Wishbass.

7. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Kevin; I had no idea! I'm a drummer as well. Very kool show. Tasty and not over-played. Way to go! Thanks for sharing the link - great idea doing that.

Rip; You too - great seeing your Wish in action!

8. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Mate, I thought you had snapped it in half with your first 'power' move. for a micro-second you really had me thinking "@#$* me he's snapped it!"

9. Lol. It's all show. More to cue the drummer than anything. Never really thought of it as a power move. My biggest power move was moving the barstool for that song!! I sat for the rest of the set.

10. rabidwolverine

rabidwolverine Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Smyrna,Georgia
    heres an update of my wishbass 1154, first few layers of tung oil on.
    wishbass008.
    wishbass005.
    wishbass009.
    wishbass001.

11. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Wow, stunning ...

12. 49 - I'm glad you liked the drum piece. It's a bit 'out there', but I figured if you liked Wish basses then you (i.e. "we") were 'out there' to begin with!

13. rabidwolverine

rabidwolverine Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Smyrna,Georgia
    thanks alot, everyone has been extremely helpful during the refinishing process im very satisfied with this being some 19 year olds first refinish project. the dyed wood filler and the walnut wood filler really created a good contrast and really ended up working well on the dogwood and retains alot of the natural character. I 9.5 the fretboard and took everything to 1200 grit sandpaper when i stoped because it was starting to polish the wood to a glass look, and i was worried about it taking the oil. I gave everything a good rub down with denatured alcohol and then put some lemon oil on it to bring out the wood before the tung oil and i think its helped with the tung oil absorption.

14. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Well, here are 2 shots of the new nut and bridge pieces for the poplar Stude. They have not received final sand out yet and will probably need some height adjustment or additional slotting work. For now I will just mount them 'dry' after the Tru Oil is all finished and I have strung up the bass. After I have done final fitment I will apply some oil to them too. These are made out of Ipe wood, which I got from a friend who had a bunch of scrap. Wish uses it a lot - the sawdust is a bit irritating I'm finding out. I used my small jewelry files to do the slotting - kind of nerve wracking, but went okay for the first one.

Stude0003031.

Stude0003032.

I also just got done whacking off the end of the fanned fret fingerboard for aesthetic reasons - first time for that too. It actually went along pretty well. I will post pix later tonight I hope.

15. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    ^Looking very nice indeed. Same goes for rabidwolverine

16. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Very nice. I love this part of the process, when it starts to develop a glow.

Doesn't it just make you as giddy as a little school girl?

Enjoy, JBY

17. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks, Dave ...

Here's the progression of work on my FB on the fanned fret Hipper (#1041). I actually did a partial trade with Wish for this one using an old banjo I found in NM and a bit of cash. Anyway, as rough as this one is, it is starting to come together - I think it is going to be a very kool bass soon. I am going to really take my time on this one!

Anyway, FB appears to be Ipe and was cut with an unattractive curve on the end which did not tie into any of the other elements on this bass, IMO. I cut it off at an angle that anticipates what the fanned fret arrangement would be if it went one more. I think it looks tons better! I played around with all kinds of shapes, but ended up keeping it simple. I tried to cut it an an angle, but that didn't work out too well. Getting the end of the FB radiused and smoothed out is going to be a big challenge, but not impossible. I am using an old model airplane saw to make the cut - most of the way thru and then gently chiseling up to the cut. The last little fraction of FB left clinging to the neck stringers I cut with a razor knife. Cleaning it up from there is not piece of cake either, but is proceeding nicely via my cabinet scraper set and sandpaper. What's making it difficult is the fact that the neck stringers are not really level, so my flat scraper on purpleheart is just sliding over the areas I want cleaned up. Still, since these were taken, I have made progress and even got a little radius on the end of the FB itself using some thin sheet tin to protect the body while I try to file on the end of the FB. Never done this before folks!

Hipper1041010-1.

Hipper1041012-1.

Hipper1041014.

Hipper1041015-2.

18. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Scott - you're having a whole load of fun!

19. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Thunderstude is still available! Another no sale, but a couple of enquiries so again a pretty good use of $2.60.

I did get a decent offer, which was within $50 of my personally set minimum. I offered to take the varitone out and replace with a tone control for the offer price, but the auction ended before the guy got back to me.

Interesting I got about 160 hits in the first 5 and a bit days and 200 more in a day and a bit when I put the price up to $65k! The previous high price auction had over 1850 hits, so I'm relisting again at $65k to see if I can hit 2000 hits!

Simple things.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.