1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass Club (Part VI - The Cult of Wishbass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 16, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't think it's really an issue sanding it out to a higher grit. I sanded mine out to 15,000. I think it gives everything a really nice shine personally.

@Scott- Those are looking incredible!

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Sanding I think is a personal preference. I prefer to sand the wood to about 1500 or so, nice and smooth and starting to shine and then hit it with the Oil. I'll then sand back the finish and work to a high grit once I've got some good layers on.

For me sanding the wood past say 1500 and then applying the Oil, which is then going to need some sanding is duplicating effort, which is fine if you want to do that. I don't think there is a wrong or a right way.

It would make more sense to me to go high grit on the wood and then apply a wax finish, but there you go. I'm at a stage where I'm trying to refine my refins to be more time efficient. Hope that helps.

3. AH, I guess I wasn't clear. I misunderstood rabid's post. I did the oil in stages (mostly because I didn't know better). I sanded to about 600, added oil, sanded to 800, added oil, sanded to 1200, added oil, then sanded to 1500 and added oil. After that, I sanded up to 15,000, AFTER I put the oil on. It polished it up very nicely. To be honest, the oil didn't really absorb much at the 1500 spot. Putting the oil on that dry body is one of the coolest things ever though. It just completely brings life to it.

4. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I echo TR's words. It seems once you go past 1500 grit the temptation would be to just wax the thing. I haven't done that yet and I am not sure I would like the slippery feel of a wax job, but the poplar Stude seems to be taking me in that direction - we'll see. A lot of it is just how you choose to do it - there are various approaches as we have seen in this thread. Personally, I enjoy the process of sanding and getting the wood smoother and smoother. I am sure that will change though once I have done more of these and want to be more time efficient with a refin. After almost a year off from being able to work on them, I am enjoying the process itself very much.

- Thanks, JoJo ...

5. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Here's a shot of the Hipper's headstock. It doesn't show as well in a photo, but the location of the tuners is a mess. The fact that it is only partially rasped/sanded out kind of makes it visually confusing? Two are too close together, one is too high and one of them is actually cut into the curved end of the opening which does not allow it to lay flat against the inside wood. I am strongly considering plugging ALL these holes and re-drilling them to be correctly spaced. I figure this headstock can't get much uglier anyway; might as well have even, usable tuning machines! These holes are 7/16" and I don't think I can easily find dowel that size and I don't have a lathe, so I guess I have to drill out to 1/2" and plug with more common 1/2" dowel material. Any suggestions? I'll try to photo this process too, in case any of you might benefit from seeing it ...

Hipper1041009-1.

You can see in these photos the sandwiching that Wish did to give my headstock more strength due to a bad crack near the nut. I plan to modify his repair so that should be interesting, and also a challenge. I'll keep you posted. I am thinking too, of veneering the top of the headstopck in purpleheart since the original neck stringers are already hidden. We'll see ...

Hipper1041008-1.

This second shot also shows my freshly veneered Wish plate, in purpleheart of course. I have since sanded out to 1500 grit and drilled. It is ready for Tru Oil.

6. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    typical SW mistakes. other side looks too tight to move one over there. with all the neck has been thru i don't think i would try and move them. is ther enough room to clear out the inside so the a strings sits right

7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If I recall correctly, the problem with the tuners was that the paddles would hit each other as you twisted them. If the only problem is the clearance of the paddles, here is a suggestion.

Keep the same locations, just rotate the offending tuners away from each other. The small anchor screws will need new holes, but that is pretty minor. The tuners will not be coming off the headstock perpendicularly, and will look a little retarded, but it might be the simplest, least intrusive solution to your problem.

Good luck,

James

8. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Jim & James: Thanks for the suggestions. One compromise to all the above would be to just re-do the middle hole. I could create a little more room for the A string, but things are getting a bit thin on that end. One radical idea I had was to (in essense), fill back in the opening with a hand fitted piece of wood and not only re-drill the tuning holes, but reshape the inside opening leaving more 'meat' where it's needed. I'm still comtemplating any and all solutions. Actually, I am kind of excited about the challenge and no longer bummed by it.

9. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    redoing the middle hole is a huge amount of work if i understand what yuo are thinking. adding some thicker veneers will help build strength but add headweight. purpleheart is really strong. that is alot easier than repluging the middle hole.

10. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    The ThunderStude is sold!

Now for the ThunderCherry!

11. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Jim; This beast is already heavy (10# or so) so weight is not an issue with me. It's pretty much a stool-playing bass and one that I will keep - not try to resell.

By the 'middle hole' I mean the tuning machine hole in the middle of the side with 3. I was just going to plug it with a dowel & Titebond and then redrill the hole in the correct place, using a new Forstner or brad bit. Or, just plug all three of them and redrill them all.

(In all of the 20 Wishbasses I have owned over the last 2.5 years, the headstock on this one is the nastiest. Still, I remain undetered!)

It's all still speculation at this point. My color lacquer sticks just arrived from StewMac today so now I can complete the Stude and start putting the Tru Oil on that puppy - so, no hurrys ...

TR: Congrats! Wow, that's fantastic. Very good news I am sure and someone is getting an awesome bass. If I didn't do these for myself, I would want that one.

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Have you thought about getting some Sperzel bass tuners on that? They're my most-favorite bass tuners, locking, and the keys are much smaller, they'd probably clear each other.
    They use 7/16 holes.

Attached Files:

13. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Congrats Dave!

14. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    +1!

Looks like we are at 50 pages again. Maybe "Temple of Wishbass" next? The cult thing worked well...

=wr=

15. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I was thinking either "Wishbass VII (deadly sins)" or "Wishbass VII (Wonders of Wish)

16. DizzyExiled

DizzyExiled

Jan 22, 2010
    Chico, Ca
    how about "The New Blood"

^5 to those who get the reference.

17. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    "Wishbass VII - Careful what you WISH for"

18. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Sorry DizzyExiled any movie that's got to #7 ain't good, apart from Star Trek that is! :D

19. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Wishbass VII Up! - Refreshing!

=wr=

20. Where is it? Can't find it!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.