1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass Club Part VII (The Wonders of Wish)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 14, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    sorry. striped lobe for fretless ans extreme scroll for fretted. scroll is sandwich walnut over alder body. reosewood fretboard. high c instead as SW forgot the truss rod.

2. jumbodbassman

Dec 28, 2009
    Born Again Tubey
    looks rounder than that in picture.

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've whacked my nut with a rubber mallet, tried to pull it off with different sets of pliers, even tried to pry it loose with a knife, but my nut is really stuck to my wood. I know many of you are pretty good at ripping off your own nuts, so some advice would be appreciated. I remember someone trying to burn his off with unsatisfying results.

I really need an experienced hand to help remove my nut.

4. Take a short piece of scrap wood. Put it against the fingerboard side of the nut. One or two solid whacks should take care of it. I just had the same problem with the PB. Was a real b*tch to get off, and took a little wood along with it. I think Steve is supergluing them on or something.

5. Quote overload! Quote overload! Quote overload!:eek:

6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I make that a septuple entendre!

7. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Peanut alert (Ebay)! Nice walnut and maple combo but the pup is SO close to the bridge. Can't help but think it will be another very treble sounding one, like my JB. Actually, I got my humbucker out from the Hipper and held it up to the JB and it would actually fit; completely covering over the old EMG route. That should give me the volume boost I crave, but the tone will still be on the 'skinny' side I imagine. Hmmm ...... when to sleep, when to sleep? ..................

TR: I vote you keep the headless one - that is just flat out kool and totally unique. Great route job on the bridge, BTY!

Rip: Way to go on your build and your new Wish.

Saquatch: Love your Hipper! Sweet! (The Lobe goes without saying ....)

8. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Saw that. Was tempted. Too close for me!

9. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    With all this talk by Spanky about his nut, I thought you may like to see my shiny knobs:

DSC_7573.

Puerile I know.

10. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Me too - but I thought about it!

11. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    ....and it should be very kool once the LEDs are fitted!

The bridge was an interesting one. As you can see from the before and after. To maintain the 34" scale the E tuner bridge would have been hanging off the edge, so the decision to drop to 33" was easy. You can see below that my first mock up at 33" worked but there was not full access to the tuners and the action was way too high, even with the saddles set to a minimum.

So, the back cut-out was the first piece to be cut and routed and then I routed for the recess for the tuner/bridges. Fortunately it all worked out well and I have to thank my friend, Kevin Robertson at KRGuitars for his advice and encouragement to attack the bass with the router to the level I did. That definitely brought my confidence up on using a router.

Here's the before:
    DSC_6676.

and the after again:
    DSC_7564.

12. jumbodbassman

Dec 28, 2009
    Born Again Tubey
    you can try heating the knife and trying to slide off the nut. If he superglued it trry and razor cut away from fretboard so it doesn't rip the board on the way off.

13. jumbodbassman

Dec 28, 2009
    Born Again Tubey
    thunderitter - i anxiuosly await the LED's. are you removing the fretboard? That bass is a keeper......

14. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I'm going to try and fit a FretFX array on to the bass. I'm pretty sure I can do it, albeit with a little ingenuity for the mounting of the battery pack! It's currently without markings of any kind so a little light on the matter will be nice.

15. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Finishing up "Lobe Day' with a final pic of 'ThunderHead':

DSC_7566.

16. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hey all, out of curiosity, what's the string spacing on a wish tend to be? Are they all a little different? Just curious.

FWIW I've subscribed to this thread even though I don't own a wish. But after keeping up with you guys for a while, I feel pretty sure my next bass will be a wishbass. I've got my eye on TRs #1155 right now, can't wait to see what it looks like when its done!

17. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Approx 18mm at the bridge and 1.75" neck width at the nut on the fours, although the great thing about a refin is you can tweak this. What do you prefer? :D

18. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Peanut 1169 gone, I think the pickup will work OK after getting very close to the strings. I think my Hipper (#969) is nearly as close and it does fine.

20afif4.
    Tres Amigos, I've added a claw since this photo.

I especially like the "butt" on the wenge lobe, it stands up by itself.

1zz2lqp.

No refinishing yet, just a little fingerboard sanding.

Re: Wishbass nut removal; on CSI tonight, Fishbourne claimed that acetone was the best CA solvent...

=wr=

19. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    ....a nice trio!

20. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Indeed! - and it features my favorite Lobe of all time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.