1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass Club Part VII (The Wonders of Wish)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 14, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    For a Wishbass it has very "mainstream" wood!

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    That wenge Lobe is incredible!

3. rabidwolverine

rabidwolverine Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Smyrna,Georgia
    Here is 1154 completely refinished and back up and running. I feel pretty good about it, considerdering its my first refinish and i have no other experience with refinishing wood.
    wishbass026.
    wishbass027.
    wishbass025.
    wishbass028.

4. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    18mm is fine. Sometimes I prefer it a little closer, but I've had basses with spacing as wide as 19. I was just asking cause for some reason in a few pictures it looked monstrous.

5. John Rogers

John Rogers

Jul 20, 2009
    hey guys, I'm just waiting for the money and them I'm going to place my order for either a fretted 4 string walnut lobe or arrow, have some questions about refinishing though. how does the different sand paper grits work? like what do I start with and all that?

6. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    John; Well, it might be more efficient to just look up "WISHBASS REFINISHING GUIDE" inside this website and get a step-by-step tutorial. Thunderitter has also chronicled his work on his original Fantasy, as well as just going back thru the various Wishbass threads. To answer your question though, or at least to touch on it; I'd say if your bass comes to you unfinished you might be able to start out with 150 or 220 grit paper. If it has Wish's lacquer on it, you will have to go coarser, like 80 grit or 100 grit. I've even used 60 grit at first if the lacquer is stubborn.

I typically start out with my rasps, move to finer files, then sand with 150g, 220g, 320g, 440g, 600g, 800g, 1000g, 1200g, 1500g and finally 2000g. On a fingerboard I go even finer with the micromesh pads. It's a bit of a process, but the results are AMAZING!

Hope this points you in the right direction - if not, ask more questions. Good luck!

7. John Rogers

John Rogers

Jul 20, 2009
    it does help man thanks!

8. RW - Nice 'whatever shape you're calling it' bass! I love the front/back contrast.

9. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Dittos! Very Sexy. It's an 'Arrow', by the way. Obviously a variant of the 'Lobe'. I actually like it a bit better than a 'Lobe'.

10. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Here's a refin'd Arrow for you:

DSC_6503.

11. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Aug 13, 2009
    dun dun dun!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

12. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    Pappagrind - is that your design or a new wish - doubtful too normal..... what kind of wood is it. can't tell by the picture . sort of just sand paper looking. Assuming you will oil it it should be a breathtaking moment when it lights up.....

13. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Aug 13, 2009
    yessir somthing i came up with, its ambrosia maple, with 7 piece neck mahog/maple/PH so on.. im going to go with the tru oil on this one

14. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    And so you should it looks great!

15. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Wow, has Wish gone manistream? He sent me a link (Facebook) to his new products store where you can buy Wishbass T-shirts, caps, mugs, stickers, magnets, etc.! Are we no longer a cult? Is it a bonafide movement now?

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    He probably makes more money on that stuff than he does making instruments. Although, he often posts photos on Facebook of a group of four or five instruments along with a comment about it being a "good day"...so he must not spend too much time on each one.

17. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Looking at the T-Shirt(s) I think it's still very much a cult! Needs a refin IMHO!

18. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ha!

I dig the stein though. ;)

19. I don't play on YouTwitFace. Somebody post a link to the Wishy Merch. :) Kthxbye.

20. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think as myspace becomes less and less popular, it may eventually merge with facebook to create facespace. And since Twitter is the same thing as a facebook status... I don't see any reason for it to outlive facespace at all. Youtube, however, will probably maintain itself as a separate entity or get dissolved into one of the mega-search engines, like Google (gootube mayhaps?) or yahoo (yahootube?)... Who knows!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.