1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass Club Part VII (The Wonders of Wish)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 14, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Gootube. I like that. And you know, there are Google ads plastered all the freak over the place on Youtube these days. Makes me mad, you can't even watch a video any more!

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's the most obnoxious ad system ever! It pops up in the MIDDLE of the freakin' video! Ahhh! I honestly can't imagine that the ad's get many hits that way... But I'm probably wrong, seeing as they're still in every freakin' youtube clip I watch.

3. Saw Mr. Wishnevsky at a show tonight.

4. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    Ok, so first an update. 2-1/2 weeks and counting, my glued and repaired headstock is still holding with no issues. Thank you all for the great advice and encouragement.

So taking all of your advice to heart, I've waited and held off on making any changes or refin's for some time, but I need to address a complaint I'm having.

My bass sounds thin. I find I have to really dial up the lows and dial down the highs to get anything close to the sound I like. For those familiar with the Sansamp BDDI, I've had to put the treble knob to 9 o'clock and the bass to about 4 o'clock to have a decent bass sound. I run this straight into my power amp with nothing in between. For reference, when I play my Fender Jazz through it, I usually have it set treble-12 o'clock and bass-2 o'clock and basically flat on my on-board preamp. I'm not looking for a reggae-ish type tone, just something rich and bassy. Here's a pic of my wish..

IMG00069-20100418-1723.

I'm running a pair of AntiquityII's on my Fender with an Audere preamp. I'm really liking the tone I get through this. Any recommendations you guys can throw that would help remedy my situation. I've thought about putting a soapbar on the wish, but is there enough space between the fingerboard and bridge to get a good sound? I also have a used set of Dimarzio Ultra-Jazz pickups sitting around that I could possibly throw on there as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

5. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Make sure to raise the pickup really high, probably less than a quarter inch from the strings. That increased the output for me.

Getting a thicker sound from a single J near the bridge is tough, perhaps those who replace the Select with other pickups will chime in.

I'm using the VT to add some bass to mine. However, I like the Kent Armstrong soapbar just fine by itself. Very monster pickup...

=wr=

6. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    so, is your's a stude too? does the ka soapbar fit well between the fingerboard and bridge? I have tried raising the pick up, and it didn't help much. I adjusted my playing technique a little by positioning my right hand over the finger board instead of the pickup. That seems to help a little, but still lacking. (On my Fender I usually play either directly over my bridge pup or between the pups but never much more beyond the neck pup.)

7. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I did replace my JB's EMG Select pup with a Bartolini. No jump in volume, a little nicer tone and a lot less hum, but nothing dramatically different. So, I am currently looking at what it would take to replace the pup on my JB (see photo a couple of pages back & my avatar) with the hotter KA (and put the Bart into one of my other Wishes). In holding the KA pup over the existing set-up I can see that there is room to make it work, so if mine can fit, yours has more than enough room! (One thing to keep in mind though, is not getting too close to your control cavity - the KA is tad wider.) I know it will increase your volume but how much it will change (improve) your tone I don't know. Perhaps TR or someone else more familiar with this kind of exchange may know. Or, you may consider staying with the J-pup shape but another brand of pup - perhaps there is one out there that would increase output and give you the tone you seek while still utilizing the existing cavity. I also recommend releveling and polishing your fingerboard - it can't help but improve things! Also, replacing the bridge and nut with wood pieces tends to soften the overall tone a bit, and of course changing strings can be effective. Again, others may have some stronger opinions about all of this than me, but this has been my experience so far.

On the other side of the coin, wood is strange stuff and it is impossible to predict what exactly will happen when marrying them together - some basses just sound better and/or different than others. Good luck.

8. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    If you've not done so already you'll probably want to get some foam under the p-up to get it to the sort of height you need.

Another thing that will dial back some of the highs, is a tone control, but you'll either need to stack it with a vol of drill for a side jack as there usually isn't the room for two pots and a jack input in the cavity, due to the positioning of the first two holes, which aren't usually drilled with the thought of an extra pot additional at some point down the road.

Plenty of room on yours for a KA IMHO - just look at this Fantasy - about the same real estate if not a little less. The KA is approx 1.5" wide.

EDIT: Reading 49's post above the great thing with the KA if you're looking for more oomph and bass is wiring in a 3 way split/series/parrallel switch as per the pic.

DSC_7430.

9. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    nice, thank you very much. considering my finances at the moment, I'll have to hold off on the pup replacement for a couple months. maybe I'll do some work on the fingerboard for now.

thunderitter, is that a coil split switch on your fantasy?

also, what do you guys think of using a bridge like this?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337912

10. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    scratch that, probably way too big for a wish

11. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Yes

12. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    so, this may be considered wish-blasphemy, but considering that my wish has a rear control cavity, would there be any drawbacks to making a bigger cavity? found this on stewmac, http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/1117

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's your bass to do with as you please!

14. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    And a good time was had by all?

=wr=

15. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    It depends on what you making the cavity bigger for.

You may find that you're restricted size-wise. It doesn't look like you've got all that much space in the lower part of that bout, what with the p-up rout and all. Cavities are also best put in on the parallel section of the bout.

16. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have started a page at Bandcamp, a music sharing site.

http://tbmod.bandcamp.com/

The TBMOD "album", (The Blind Mechanics Of Disaster) has a longer version of the Wishbass jam that I used for my youtube demo, Wishbass Scarab in action. It's the cut entitled, "Ladies and Gentlemen, TBMOD". The rest of the jams are my Alembic Epic, I think.....

I also have some of my daughter's high school vocal jazz ensemble up there to, if you are inclined that way.

um...... enjoy?

JBY

17. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Your daughter has a great voice. Is that in Los Angeles? I thought you were in TX?

18. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    TR - How's the pickup sound split? Can we get some clips? :)

19. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You must be confusing me with that 49sFine fellow. I've been in L.A. for 24 years. My daughter is a Freshman at the Los Angeles County High School for The Arts, LACHSA.

I think she is the best :)

20. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I knew he's from TX, but I guess I'm just an idiot otherwise...

I used to live in the San Fernando Valley... I wish I could have gone to a high school for music, man. I couldn't play music until I could afford to buy the instruments myself... So I was a little late in the game. :meh: But yeah, those recordings are great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.