1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass Club Part VII (The Wonders of Wish)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 14, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    If I get some time, which isn't looking good this week.

Although, with my AV equipment, I personally don't think you'll get anything more from the clips than the fact that it works and that there are three distinct sounds! You're certainly not going to hear what it really sounds like!

It's a mod that I think is well worth doing on the KA if you have the time, the switch and the soldering skills!

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I have a push/pull pot for series/parallel, but I'm interested in how split sounds...

3. newfuture

newfuture

Jul 13, 2007
    the location of the PU is the real issue. I've got a similar issue with a hyper and a lobe. both are helped a great deal by using a varitone.

4. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    well.....somebody got under wish's skin today.....

"Let me say this one more time. I am a grumpy old fart and the only person in the world who makes instruments as cheap and as quickly as i do. I make custom orders just for PR. I make more money from the ebay ones, with a lot less aggro. If you want to have your custom order cancelled, just send me five emails a day trying to hurry me up."

lol

5. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    has anyone tried using a Bartolini pup with preamp on their wish? I'm thinking about maybe using a BC3CBC with a 2-band 2-knob preamp. It's a 1.25" pickup, so not as big as a traditional soapbar.

6. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I am not trying to be snotty here, but first off read the post above yours.

Steve will do what you ask in terms of custom basses, but I personally wouldn't be traveling to far off his list of what he does as 'standard'.

If this is your first Wishbass then you can't go far wrong from waiting for the 'right' one to appear on eBay. It will cost you $300 plus shipping, rather than spending twice that on a custom that when you get it may be a big disappointment and/or may well be a waste of the additional $300 for all the extra you get.

Wishbasses are not 'dream' basses in my book so I wouldn't go about building one in that way. However, don't be deterred! If that's what you really want then go for it and you're in the right place to ask any questions you might have.

7. CultureSliver

CultureSliver

Sep 23, 2006
    Eugene, OR
  8. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Oh yeah, that is a GREAT one. Lobe is my favorite body style. Nice lower horn, too, I don't like the sharp ones.

9. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    CultureSliver: Great Lobe! Congrats!

Here's how my Cherry FannyLobe (RT) now the 'ThunderCherry' is looking post reshape, rotten wood removal, etc. As you'll see the grain on the 'board has come out real nice.

[​IMG]

DSC_7590.

DSC_7594.

DSC_7588.

Pics were taken post sealer. The bass has now been rubbed down and the Tru-Oil application has started. 2 down, lots to go!

10. Looks nice TR. Just got started on my PB, trying to work on 2 basses at once is confusing. Should have pix soon. Taking it slower this time around. The back is limiting how much I can get done each day.

So far I've rounded the edges, carved belly and forearm contours, and done a little work to the fingerboard. I'm a bit concerned that Steve made the neck on this one a little too thin. Not so sure it can handle full string tension.

11. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    RIP: I'm working on two at once as well. I don't find it confusing, but when you have encountered problems with them at the same time, it is 'cause for pause'! The poplar Stude is "resting" right now because I am scratching my head over what to do about the postion markers. The fanned fret Hipper just received new dowel plugs in those #3 misaligned tuning machine holes and I am now asking myself, "What have I got myself into now?" It's flat scary I tell you. I have been taking photos and if my repair is at all a success, I will share them. Heck, I should share them if it's not, come to think of it!

About your thin neck. I would not worry about it. On my walnut JB I took a spokeshave to the neck and really slimmed it down. Actually, it came out thinner than I had planned and by Wishbass standards, it is scary thin (to give you an idea, it is almost as thin as a truss rodded neck - no lie!). It has held up fine though and holds tune great and has even survived the move from very dry NM to very humid TX. Also, the neck on the fanned fret Hipper is very thin, and Steve made it that way. SInce it is a 5 string it is wide, but surprisingly thin. I guess the purpleheart and maple keeps everything honest! Why don't you measure the thickness of your neck? I could measure mine and we could compare. It might make you feel better ....

CULTURE: Way to go. Good looking Lobe, for sure. We're glad you're in!

12. That's what I'm concerned about. This neck is THINNER than some trussed necks I've seen. I'm hoping for the best, but worst case, I'll keep it in a drop tuning. It's so thin my guitarist even said, "Wow, that neck is thin!!!"

13. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Boy, now I am going to measure the JB's neck!

14. Mine is just under 3/4" (with fingerboard) the whole length of the neck. If she holds, it's gonna be a VERY fast neck. It looks great, just scary thin.

15. 74d0ab3a.

16. From one Lobe-lover to another --- welcome to the club!

17. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    RIP: Mine's a 1/16" thicker than yours at it's thinnest point. It does increase by an 1/8" down near the heel of the neck. Yours wins! I still wouldn't worry about it. If it warps, I think Wish will stand behind it. I've had some warpage issues due to me putting too much fingerboard oil on and he took care of things and saved the JB's board/neck. I say just go for it and string it up the way you intended - sooner the better too ...

18. I gotta admit, when I first got this Wish, I was a little frustrated. Between the gaps everywhere, the uber thin neck, and the huge amount of tearout around the tuners, I was ready to make firewood.

After spending a few days thinking things over, this is gonna be a special bass when I get her finished. Going crazy on this one, making it sparkle as much as I can.

19. _Sasquatch_

_Sasquatch_

Sep 27, 2009
    Michigan
    Like TR said, I wouldnt worry. My hipper came with a pretty thin neck compared to the standard wish...and its still like playing a tree. Its not going anywhere.

20. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Aug 13, 2009
    so shes been sent and from the picture it looks like the tuners fit perfectly the end of waiting is drawing nar! [​IMG][/IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.