Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wishbass doesn't suck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Futurebass, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I kept hearing about how much Wishbass sucks on this board. I figured when there is such unanimity the majority is usually wrong. So I spent $350 to find out for myself. The bass has a great hairy tone, comfortable neck, well balanced. For the price it's a steal. Of course it's raw and primitive, but there's nothing preventing it from doing what a bass is supposed to do, and with a distinctive sound. Nonadjustable bridge, only a volume control, slot headstock, and lack of a truss rod. Who cares? None of those things are crucial. Maybe some of the great tone I'm hearing comes from these factors. Anyway I disagree with the consensus I've been reading here, and I suspect a lot of it comes from people who have never played one. :crying: :crying: :crying:

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Read the let's buy a wish part 2 thread. Now. Then never again accuse the anti wish consensus of having never played the instruments. Personally for that money I would buy myself another Grind BXP. And I would consider a truss rod an essential item, if your neck warps, expect me to laugh in your face. Even if they didn't have the build issues, I would still not want one, the styling just doesn't sit with me. If wish went the extra 10% he could make much better instruments. Yet he doesn't seem to care.

3. nonadjustable bridge, slot headstock, and lack of a truss rod

you just mentioned 3 reasons not to get one

Out of interest, does your E and G string (i think its E and G) dig into the headstock, ive seen that on alot of wish basses, and that really shouldnt happen

4. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    The bass cost $350. If the neck warps I can buy another one. Upright basses don't have truss rods. Vintage Martins don't have adjustable truss rods.

The Wishbass I have is fine and doesn't have any issues. That's all I have to say on the issue. I haven't played everybody elses.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hows the intonation? Hows the action?

Im sure the action isnt the best you've played. No problem you can just adjus---- wait, no you cant.

6. That is probably the most ridiculous statement I have ever read.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eyebrow: must be nice to be able to throw away money like that.

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Ah that made me laugh.

And don't try comparing to Uprights, they're totally different instruments. Think about it, if you have to buy another because the neck warps, you've spent $700. $700 would buy you a used Peavey Cirrus, neck through, truss rods, fully adjustable bridge, high quality woods, 3 band eq, humbucking pickups and everything that a Wish doesn't have. Yep, that makes sense to go for the Wish.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah really, I was just thinking the same thing!

10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    not all have so much money like you, baby.
    why use 350$ on a bass that has no trussrod, unprescice position markers, strings that dig into the head, unsymetrical string spacing, a brigde that isnt adjustable for intonation, spacing and height, ugly designs and a body finish that my 4 year old brother would sprayed it better.

you maybe not have problems with it now, but later the neck starts to warp, ye, just buy a new one... :eyebrow:

11. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    "Shields up! SHIELDS UP I SAID!"

"Captain Wish, Ey'm dooin tha best Ey can"

I can't wait to read the next Wish rebuttal.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think it's very industrious of you to go through all that time and expense to disprove something you read on TB, but for contrast let me share this: I just bought an old Japanese Fernandes Precision for less than $150. It HAS an adjustable bridge, it HAS a truss rod and it HAS a volume AND a tone control. Your Wish is a steal all right, but we seem to differ on the identity of the victim.

I admit I never played a Wish, but you don't need to drive a car with uneven wheels, shot suspension, bad transmission and no muffler to know it's a rough ride. Sure, a good enough driver can make it work, but why would he want to? Also, if that's what you like driving, more power to you, but saying that you like the drive AND think it's good BECAUSE of its shortcomings is a big exercise in denial. Big.

Like others have said, live with it for a while and then get back to us after a few gigs and recording dates. Good luck.

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Different stroke for different folks. Congratulations on the purchase of an instrument the you enjoy.

14. Whenever I read an opinion or review of a bass, I usually take it with a grain of salt and take a look at the credibility of the person with the opinion. You know, how long they have been playing, what kind of gear they have owned in the past. This way I will know their experiences and what they are comparing the instrument against.

Well, seeing how the only thing I know about you is that you are male, your entire opinion is moot, and with your "mater of fact" style, you have done nothing but reinforce my own opinion on Wish basses.

Good luck with your new bass, Sincerely.

15. "Your Wish is a steal all right, but we seem to differ on the identity of the victim."

ROFL, that's a great statement. Very witty. :)

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As shown by the original 'Lets buy a Wish' and the hit sequel too, many here have first hand experience with Wish. Others tend to comment of obvious build issues as evidenced by not-so-detailed pictures.

To say that an adjustable bridge or truss rod isn't crucial is completely ridiculous, and to compare it to an upright or a Martin acoustic is just a nice little straw man argument. A martin acoustic doesn't have the string tension of an electric bass guitar, and an upright is designed with hundreds of years of trial and error and loads of skill.

You've lost any credibility in my mind.

If your neck warps, having a trussrod isn't going to help a whole lot...but if you live in a place that doesn't have constant humidity and temperature then you NEED a trussrod to adjust neck relief properly. It's like having a car that you can't change the oil on. Same deal with the bridge. Can't adjust the string height or intonation for different strings or playing preference and style? Bah.

You should join the 20th century...there's all sorts of neat advancements in instruments where you can make them play really well with all sorts of adjustability.

Once you do that, maybe you'll catch up with us in the 21st century

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I agree with this. If you like it for what it is, than nothing else matters.

I'd never ever buy one, but that's because you and I obviously have different opinions of what we need in an instrument. But if you're happy, I'm happy.

18. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Why do I suspect that the original poster wanted some affirmation that his purchase was a good one? I just hope he doesn't feel too upset about the money he plopped down after reading these replies.

19. Knavery is quite correct...

In any event... first a "Sadowsky.... worth the price?" post, and now this... people just love to throw rocks at hornet nests...

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    See, I wouldn't like it. I prefer shaved tone.

Glad you like your bass. But you really don't need to come on here posting about it telling people who dislike them that they are basically idiots for saying they don't like em.

I have never played one, but ya know what?? I have no desire to. To me, a bass with no truss rod, an unadjustable bridge, etc., is nothing that interests me. Am I an idiot for feeling this way?? I don't think so. If you like your bass, great. I sincerely am happy for you. But you don't need to get argumentative with the people here who don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.