1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wishbass naysayers !! Brian Ritchie has one !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gintaras, May 7, 2006.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have read a lot of negativism on the wishbass on this site. Probably most of it is true, but I have also have read a lot on it's not the instrument that makes the great bassplayer. I was engrossed in this month's bassplayer mag and reading the article on Brian Ritchie and he mentioned that he has a Wishbass. He said some of the same comments that were mentioned here but he still likes it (page 38)

So far as a Midlife Newbie relearning this craft, there are 2 things that I have picked up from this site
    1) It's not the instrument that makes a great bassplayer (thou the GAS is really fun)
    2) what you don't play is as important as what you play
    :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Because Brian Ritchie owns one, does not mean that it does not suck.

PS. Who is Brian Ritchie?

3. +1.

Also, I would not play a Wish, if offered a cash endorsement.

4. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    bass player for the violent femmes = Brian Ritchie

5. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    He's the bass player for the Violent Femmes. I just saw them, and he played it live.

I like Brian Richie, but realistically, the guy also played a washtub bass, a conch shell, and several other strange instruments I can't recall at the moment. He'll play anything that makes a sound.

6. Ritchie's a pretty good bassist, but his taste leans toward unconventional instruments. The Ernie Ball Earthwood? That thing generates more feedback than if you stuck a condenser mic in front of a PA main.

7. i'm not that proud...if someone paid me enough i'd go on stage and play a keytar :)

personally i think wishbasses are decent, so long as you don't expect a Zon or a Fodera which it seems a lot of people do

8. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    He also says that there are issues with the construction, which I understand is the main gripe about Wishbass. That and they're butt-ugly.

9. not too proud. just realistic. and honest.

10. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    +1??(maybe...)
    You get what you pay for. To pay $400 and expect a Fodera is just nuts. I've heard some good things about their tone; but I've heard a lot more negatives in every other area. I'm willing to give one a go. And yes, I signed on to the Wish tour on here!

11. First off, Brian Ritchie Kicks much a$$. He can solo on bass witout sounding like a jerk.:bassist: I would kill for an earthwood in good condition! They just never come up on Ebay, so my VF tribute band will have to wait. Maybe thats a good thing....
    2nd, yes they are ugly, check out wishbass.com. Ugh, his ampeg derivative is atrocious!
    And as far as feedback, try miking an accordion and a flute in a warehouse. Soundmans nightmare. (oops, I mean sound person, see I TRY to change)

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

13. haha nice 'shop

14. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    [​IMG]

That's a Wish Acoustic being played by the great Dave Pomeroy. :D

15. BANANA BASS!

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I believe that Brian also mentioned some construction issues with that bass in the article.

He has always been a fan of unusual instruments, so it isn't much of a surprise that he owns a very unusual wishbass. Still doesn't mean I'll waste my money on one.

17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    +1,0000

If Will Lee bought and played one I still wouldn't touch one.

Only things that would happen is that I would have less respect for Will and I would thik maybe he might need psychiatric help. It would be a sad day.

18. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    LMAO!!!!!!!

:D

19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1!!!! :D

Ok, I know this is all just academic, but as long as we're talkin' about it...

If Wish offered me a sponsorship, I'd do it, but it would have to be one with VERY limited requirements.

They'd have to give me a bass, of my choosing, totally free and clear, including all repairs/adjustments including shipping both ways, and I would only have to play it on at least one song per show, of my choosing, of no minimum length, and even that requirement is waived if I'm not at least reasonably satisfied with the way the bass played and sounded upon receipt. Of course they would be free to terminate the sponsorship at any time, as well.

Bottom line is, even if I was handed one of these things totally free and clear, and thought it sounded/played alright, it'd never ever replace my main axes... no way. He's just not that good, and with his business model, never will be, because he doesn't seem to be targeting that quality level.

The only reason I'd even consider the deal is because I believe everyone deserves a shot at success, and if I feel they're in earnest, I'd be all about doing what I could to help (within my personal tolerance levels, of course.)

IMHO/FWIW anyway...

20. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    :D