1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Possibly controversial, but I'm going to post anyway!

Is it just a new camera (!) or is the quality of Wishbasses improving?

I know that you can't always tell from a picture, but the two basses below, currently on e-Bay, look a lot better than some recent Wishbasses. The wood choice, cut and finish looks a lot better than usual, although I might want a closer look at the knot on the second bass.

I don't know - what do you think?

I certainly appreciate what Steve Wishnevsky is doing - maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but hey a bit of variation and color makes the World a more interesting place and if you don't like don't buy!

01fa_1.
    5946_1.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    "wishbass quality" is an oxymoron.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    run for your life

4. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Not wanting to have a go, but are you speaking from experience? What were you issues?

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    holy phalic symbol :bag:

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Nah, I'm just messing around. I saw one in a store here locally once, and fooled around on it. It looked and played like something a kid made in shop class in junior high.

7. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but these guys look better than shop class!

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!

HA HA AH HA HA HA!!

HA HA HA HA

Wishbass quality...haha...that's rich!:D

9. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Judging by Spector_Ray's post I think I may have made a mistake posting this one!

Wishbass Quality? Please note the question mark!

Come on guys give it a chance. If you hate them please say why!

10. You own a Ritter. Why are you even looking at Wishbasses?!!:D

I would hope his work is improving. If I ever see a Wish I will definitely have a go at it. Any bass that generates controversy on TB is worth a try.

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    You know, I really enjoy mine for a mess-around bass. Although I put a BUTTLOAD of work into it to make it acceptable. I practically claim it as mt own creation for how much work I did to it.

1 - I had to re-shape the neck for one, it's back profile was like a washboard with tons of waves and ripples in it.

2 - I put an entirely new fingerboard on it for the same reason, that was a lot of work.

3 - The finish was terrible. My sanding it off and applying like 10 coats of tung oil fixed that. Looks really good now.

4 - Put a bridge-width Lace Sensor jazz pickup in it. Million times better than that crappy neck-width pup Chinese EMG.

5 - Shielded the control cavity with mass quatities of copper and re-wired the noisy, lousy ground wiring.

6 - Fixed the bridge and nut to lower the mile high action. Also routed out a permanent slot for that bone bridge so I wouldn't have to intonate it every time I changed strings.

It was probably worth the $200 I paid for it because it taught me a ton about luthier work, and it gets compliments on the look and tone wherever it goes.

Unfortunately, the baseball-bat neck has started to bow some (no truss rod, and i don't want to even try to fix that), therefore this bass is strictly a backup now. :scowl:

12. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    CapnSev good objective post about a wishbass!

When did you get yours - was it recently?

13. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I got one made a few months back to my specs (36" scale). It's fretless with a purple heart fingerboard. I also did some rather extensive modifications. I dropped a EMG SSD pup from a Spector bass in the neck position & redid the electronics. NOW the bass sounds like a freaking bull dozer. I am quite happy with the sound. I also had Wish use a Hipshot bridge instead of his usual plastic scrap. Here's my take on what do do if you order one: Have Wish make the body......period. Under no circumstances allow him to put finish on it or mess with the electronics. If I ordered another one, I'd let the guys at The Custom Shop (Austin, Tx. ) do all the rest using my picked components. If you play an extended scale bass that only available as a custom, it makes economic sense to have him do the neck thru body for under $500. Then you can have just what you want for the rest. Of course, there's always a photo op when you strap that weird lookin' SOB on. You want to see flashes go off? You wanna talk to every bass nerd in the place? Strap on the Wish.

14. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    Oh God!

I just went onto the site to have a look (objectively:) ) they're horrible! wow! i mean Really horrible. i'm not usually one to judge how somehting plays by looks, but i think it'd be hard for me to pick of these up to find out without feeling ill!

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1. The bass I played looked like it was made in shop class by the blind. No truss rod is a genius idea though!:rolleyes: :D

I would take up banjo before playing one of these things. If the were $99 I could see the attraction but these basses are $400+!!!:confused:

16. mikopita

mikopita Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Florida
    I tried a friend's wb once. I 'kind of' liked it. My background is in URB, so the massively chunky neck appealed to me. I found the woodworking to be shoddy at best, and the electronics looked amateurish. The sound was unique though, and I can see where it could be purchased as a novelty instrument.

My only real gripes are with the fact that they aren't well measured (whatever happened to 'measure twice, cut once'?), and the lack of a truss rod. These two problems occur on the types of instruments you might find in the gift shop of a Cracker Barrel.

17. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Back to my original question in that the latest two basses look a tad better than previous ones?

Is this a change in style, a couple of 'oddballs' or a new camera?:D

I also can't help wondering what another $200 of 'effort' on the bass might do to sales? In saying that, I would suspect that Wishbass has found a niche at the end of the day it is a business.

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have seen one in person. They look like something that was made in a garage out of old patio funiture. I could not seeing paying more than 50 bucks for one.

19. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    A thread with Wishbass and Quality in the same sentence....

Isn't that an oxymoron?

20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have had Wish build 2 basses for me. I assert there's a real role for dudes like him. My main instruments are Dingwall, CB, LA Kidwell and Michel Fournel customs, but I had Wish make 2inexpensive basses in order to allow me to try weird things (like a 26 inch 5-string for travel and another very oddly shaped 4 as an ergonomic experiment). He makes playable folk art. It's rough cut and if it's precision you want, go elsewhere. The fact that you can get a 2 or 7-string 41 inch scale passive electric for the price of a Mexi Fender is a novelty niche and I'm happy he fills it.