Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wishbass report

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I got my Wish Peanut bass yesterday (200.00 on ebay.)Construction was somewhat better than the Talkbass traveling wish (the string holes were done with a drill press.) Mine has a brushed laquer finish that looks pretty bad. I will be correcting that very soon. As far as sound and playability I was very suprised. It sounds very warm and the set up is not bad at all. If the guy would just take a little more time on his basses it would really pay off for him.

2. I tried out a Wishbass at Guitar Heaven in Pleasant Hill, California.

Before I get to my criticisms, I'd like to say that the instrument really sounded very good. It had a great warm tone that was rich and full. While the neck was as thick as a baseball bat, it was still relatively easy to play.

The action was really good and the neck was as straight as would be desired even without a truss rod.

The problems with this instrument were obvious though. The fretboard had a major problem in the lower frets that made the notes there buzz and intonate poorly. The glue joint between the fretboard and the neck had big gaps where the two were not flush. The pickup holes didn't really fit the pickups too well. The fretmarker dots on the sides of the fretboard look like they were drilled by Stevie Wonder.

If it wasn't for the problem with the fretboard, I could see myself paying $250-300 for that instrument. They were asking like $450 or something but when I told them about the ones that had sold on ebay for somewhat less, they lowered the price to like $350.

The instrument does have soul though. Soul in the "Hamhocks in your corn flakes" and "Joint rolled in toilet paper" kind of way.

I may buy a wishbass someday just to hang on my wall as a work of art to take down and noodle on occasionally. I don't think it could ever compete with my 7-string Hanewinckel Pro fretless though.

- Dave

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Here is the ebay picture

4. [​IMG]
    Treena

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Would you mind terribly if I used this in my sig line? :D

6. You'll have to ask George Clinton. Those are Funkadelic quotes. :D

- Dave

7. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Funny enough, I was going to purchase this very bass from ebay (how can you argue with the $200). But literally 2 minutes after I got clearance from the tower (i.e. my wife's permission)it was gone. From the pics it looks like a nice one. Congrats! ;)

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It sounds very nice, but it is rough around the edges (literally!) In experimenting this weekend I have discovered that Labella Tapewounds do not sound good on this bass(I love them on my ABG.) Also for kicks I put on an old P-Bass bridge on without screwing it down. It sounded better with the original non adjustable bridge. In the future I will experiment with different types of flatwound strings-any suggestions?

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Just paid my deposit on a Wish Bass.. oooh baby I can't wait :bassist: :D

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    What style did you get? Options?

11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    7 string fretless, still working out details

12. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    What is Wish asking for a fretless 7? Any additional features? Truss Rod? Extra Pups?

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I know I wouldn't buy a Wish, just because I'd prefer to take the chance at building a bass myself than to take the chance at getting a Wish that needs a lot of repairs.

Maybe once he matures a little more in the build quality department I'll look into buying, since he HAS been getting better, but 350 bucks will pay for most of a cheap car, so it's not very high on my priorities list.

14. I'm sorry. But I just hate Wish's with a passion.

I've seen better basses form completely random out of nature.

(okay maybe not that, but you get the point)

15. TI Jazz Flats are the ticket my friend!

[​IMG]
    Treena

16. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I really like bright roundwound strings, but using roundwounds will eventually eat the fingerboard up. Does anyone make a good sounding bright flatwound?

17. Yes, the TI Jazz Flats are bright sounding even after a few months of playing.

You might also consider the half rounds for your fretless, they are better on the neck and bright too!

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Yes-I sold my P bass and need another fretted one.It's cool, but it's not like am selling an F Bass.