1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishbass (the "company") is for sale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rustynuts, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. According to his latest eBay offering, "The Wishbass company is officially for sale, so i am designing a few new bass patterns for the Wishnevsky name."

Selling off Wishbass to start a new company? Sounds like it....The sticker on the back of this one reads "Wishnevsky Musical Instruments" and the website is now wishnevsky.com.

Though still flawed, this one looks better than most of the Wishbasses I've seen.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I will give him half a dollar for his company for the basses he half makes. :bag:

3. I'm just wondering what, other than the name itself (and the accompanying reputation), he's selling. It doesn't sound like there's any product, hardware or woods going with the deal since he's starting another identity already....

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I can't imagine who would want to buy that name, but, then again, I can't imagine who would want to buy his basses, either.

:bag:

5. After reading the listing again it sounds like he's also selling off the current Wishbass designs along with the name.

6. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Yeah, it's hard to say what's actually being sold here. Any business with even a little bit of notoriety can sell its name. Even a company with a reputation as dubious as some think this one has could take an interesting turn if a builder with some initiative bought it with the intent of improving the product.

Matt

7. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Ah. Thanks.

Matt

8. I was thinking along the same lines....At least initially there might be some curious interest in the product to see if the new owner is able to improve on the past work. If the new stuff turned out halfway decent people would more than likely be talking about it.

9. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

From a pure business standpoint there is some value to the name, regardless of what some may think of the product. Not as much as McDonald's or Starbucks, obviously, but value nonetheless. It would be up to the buyer to either a.) increase the company's current modest sales (and, as I stated before, I would hope, make some improvements to the product) or b.) run it into the ground.

Matt

Matt

10. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Very true.

Matt

11. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

I guess I should amend my previous statement then to say it's hard to say what the actual value is of what's being sold.

Matt

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

...and by "designs" he means random noodlings with a router.

:D

13. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I wonder if there is any one out there that would actually buy the "company."

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Is he putting it on ebay?

15. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    LOL, that's one of his better ones.

17. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    This guy has come up with a process by which he can build basses in a day. Sure, his QA is questionable at best and his designs don't appeal to everyone....

But if you combine "fundamentally sound concept (albeit niche)" + "fundamentally sound business model (albeit without the QA/QC processes that one might ask for) and combine that all with "enough capital to absorb overhead and buy parts and wood at a higher discount in larger quanitities" - hell, I'd buy that.

The only thing separating Wishbasses from being awesome as a rule is some attention to detail and some consistency - one CNC and some templates should get you 80% of the way there. Again, they might still be a VERY narrow niche market...but it's a market no one else is serving, and people are buying the things. :)

but that's just me.

18. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    "some attention to detail and some consistency"

okay - more than "some" - A LOT. but still...

19. jackcregg

jackcregg Guest

Feb 25, 2007
    that bass is horrible!!!!

the new wishnevsky stuff looks rather nice though

more, mainstream

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.