Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Well, from searching the threads for a helpful wishbass thread, i found about 50% like their wishbass and 50% don't like wishbass! So, what is the final verdict on them? I only ask because I went to the site, and it sounds like a good idea. Can you design your own body? does it cost extra? If i can, i want to make a jaguar shaped bass, one humbucker in the bridge and a fretted neck. sound cool? yes. anyways, please help me out here. Is wishbass really too good to be true?? oh and how necessary is a trussrod? its 75 bucks extra for one, and i want to know how much i need one. thanks for the help,
  2. About a truss rod, it depends. It's not really nessicary in an area that has the same weather year round with little change in humidity, but woods, esspecially on unfinished necks, react to changes in temperature and humidity, and necks without trussrods react even more. A truss rod not only stabalizes a neck, it also allows an easier adjustment to the neck so it is back the way you want it to play.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I would not recommend any bass guitar without a truss rod. Also, I wouldn't say 50% really enjoyed their instrument based on TalkBass users-many try to sell them again, in fact.
  4. The one consistent dislike - even amongst those that liked the tone - was the poor workmanship in nearly every aspect of the bass. Now, combine poor workmanship with the lack of trussrods (or an extra charge!?) and you wind up with far less instrument than you paid for.

Ever wonder why Wish's basses don't have trussrods and nearly every single bass model in the market does??

Well, we do to.:rolleyes:
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    In searching the threads like you claimed you did you should have had all these questions answered.. Just get one and see how you like it.. After all it's not like they cost an exorbitant amount of money.. :rolleyes:
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    just be aware of one thing - you are not getting a bass that feels even remotely similar to a standard electric bass guitar to play. his necks are as thick front-to-back as they are wide, by design. i imagine this is to compensate for the lack of a truss rod - he patterns them after a double-bass.

also be aware that simple fit-and-finish issues will be present - things will not necessarily line up, the strings will not necessarily be the same distance from one another, etc.

that being said, what prog said is true - they aren't that expensive. try one and see. just don't think that you're getting a "custom bass" in the usual sense of the word.

or, go to warmoth and get a nice neck and hardware and build your own instrument. it will probably work better, imo.
  7. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    I don't own a Wish bass, and I've never played one, but from what I've seen of his work, for the kind of bass you describe, I don't think Wish is the builder to do it. It sounds like you want something fairly conventional, and Wish's work is anything but!
  8. well,thaanks for the help, i have been emailing this guy for a few days now, he says he can make my bass, but it will be a little more expensive for a flat headstock rather than the one he usually puts on. the reason i want to try wishbass is that its afforable. i want a jaguar shaped bass, but i can't afford the prices of a custom read or something like that. Wishbass told me it would be a few hundred dollars, but read and nordstroms go for 3000 dollars! I don't need that much, i don't want any exotic woods or expensive circuitry, just a jaguar shaped bass!

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wouldn't consider a Wish as a custom. I owned one for a short period of time. I had no complaints about the tone, but he does take big shortcuts on detail. I kinda knew what to expect when I bought it but was still disapointed when I opened it. My Essex was made in China and costs 119.00, and detail was still better than the Wish. Wish is upfront about this issue. I bought it as a toy and it was fun for a while but I soon grew tired of it.
  10. Charlie, you've got mail!
  11. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    There is a great article/interview with Wish on this link. Wish goes into his philosophy and how/why his basses can be $300. A very good read and quite interesting.:

I am an avid fan of Wishbass. I own a 4 string and have 2 more on the way (another 4 and a 7-string).

Iterating what others have said, WIshbasses are inherently different than anything else. I have heard them described as hybrids between upright bass and a bass guitar.

In my opinion, these are great basses. They are inexpensive, aesthetically interesting, and they sound phenominal, especially considering how simple Wish keeps the electronics. While they take some getting used to, I must admit that now when I play "normal" basses, they feel abnormal.

However, my experience comes from his standard instruments. Wish can build anything you ask, and he can build more "standard" instruments according to spec if you work with him. In fact, Larry Banks, another Talkbasser just had a custom 5 built and I believe that he is quite happy with it. Check the threads-- he details his experience custom building with Wish.

At the end of the day, I think for the money its worth a shot. I bought my first Wish on blind faith. My thinking was, "If I don't like the bass, I can hang it on my wall as art." And things worked out for me.

Good luck and Happy Turkey-Day!
  12. [​IMG]
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I like mine. I'd take it to practice, but I haven't finished it yet.
  14. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Everybody got the right to have an opinion, but that's a bit crude, isn't it?
  15. Monolith507

Jan 2, 2009
    I just got my Wishbass JB today and I LOVE IT.
    There are no intonation problems, the action is nice and low, and Steve correctly positioned the side dots. I ordered mine without any varnish, I figure I can probably do that next time I change the strings. It sounds great too, it has a nice "dwong" to it. Overall, I can definitely say it was money well-spent.

Purpleheart body, maple neck, jatoba fingerboard:
    (The picture doesn't even do it justice)
  16. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Nice! As weird as they are, if I had the spare cash, I would get one. Why the heck not?
  17. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Why don't you buy a used Fender jaguar bass? They sell pretty reasonably will be a more solid build than a Wishbass and will actually maintain some resale value.
  18. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    VA, USA
    I like my Wishbass and got a lot of satisfaction refinishing it, so much so that's I've just bought another for a winter project.

Both of my Wishbasses play and sound great, although I can see why they are not everybody's cup of tea. I'd be careful straying to far from what Wishbass offers in terms of designs as from what I've seen there's a fair bit of artistic license goes into the customs!!

The neck is thick and very stable from what I've seen so far in a couple of years of ownership - so I buy into the 'no need for a truss rod'. These basses are also not flimsy - build quality may not be 100% but they are like a proverbial brick s**t house

IMHO folks that knock Wishbasses don't get the philosophy, not that there is anything wrong with that, just seem to get it or you don't. Go to the Wishbass Club on this site and you'll get more than a 50% hit rate on folks who like their Wishbasses! A lot of good info there on the basses, their quirks and how to go about refinishing.

Comparing Neck thickness: right to left: Thumb BO 5, Wishbass, T'Bird, Precision.

Comparing relative size: Ritter, Wish', Precision.
  19. CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    After I did a lot of cleaning up on mine, it was pretty decent.

Granted, I switched electronics/pup, re-rounded the back of the neck, refinished it with like 12 coats of tung oil, made a new bridge, sanded down the uneven fingerboard, and filled in lot of wood flaws.

It looked pretty good when I got done with it, but it was a lot of work. In the end the neck bowed too much anyway, and I couldn't fix it because I had no truss rod- so I sold it.