1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wishing for a new VOX bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slidlow, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    So I see Vox has a nu-tube based 150W guitar amp out now. Thinking I would like to see a Bass version. I wonder if Vox are considering this? Maybe start a campaign?

2. Sadly VOX isn’t what it used to be in it’s heyday. Much as I loved the brand I grew up with they never did produce what I would call a great bass amp.

3. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    They did produce one but everyone knocks it. I've had my V125 Bass since I bought it in 1982. It's all tube and an excellent amp. I have the guitar version as well. IMG_4453.JPG

4. If those are tube amps you should move your runners from the top. The cooling provided by the small black vents is nowhere near adequate as it is.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Well of course they come off when in operation! During down time (after they cool off) they go on to keep dust and anything else out. By the way, the vents on top of these are quite large compared to what you are probably used to on any of the AC30s. They cool fine. The bass amp is 100% tube. The guitar version has FETS on the input only. Both amps have the same tube complement but there are differences in circuit values and the output transformers are different. I have these and also previously had others and have recorded most of the differences I saw on them.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'm sure they've thought of it. Guitar amps are always first. It's a much bigger market.

The guitar version is like $800 - for 150W
    How much power would you want for bass and how much should it cost?
    With enough interest they just might listen but I don't think there's much of a market for Nutube if it's going to be competing with high end amp makers.

Their Nutube marketing may alienate some of the tube fannoids - as they say stuff like:
    "Nutube has eliminated the problematic aspects of tubes"

NuPower seems to be a regular Solid-state power amp with a NuTube in a part of the early amplication section. The head having another NuTube in the front end pre-amp. Time will tell if people if people like the sound over traditional tubes. VOX also has several modeling amps, so they seem to be covering all the safe bases of advancing technologies.

7. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    I understand the nu-tubes are used in the preamp and also the output stage in push pull aided by solid state. I love tube amps and the bigger then life headroom but am willing to give the nu-tube stuff a whirl.

8. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    The Vox VX50BA bass amp, with nu-tube, punches way above it's weight class at just 9.9 lb.s, 50 watts, 8" speaker. I was prepared for disappointment, but ordered it anyway due to back surgery lifting restrictions.

It started off sounding stiff and boxy, like I expected. But, the more I played it, and pushed it, even though it's very high-gain oriented, the more it "broke in" and smoothed out. Before too long I could get some very full round tones at good volume. It made a believer out of me and is now my main Sunday morning gig rig!

20181125_093256.

iagtrplyr, BadExample and SBassman like this.