Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Jan 28, 2003.

1. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

What's up with his feedback? Someone actually wrote "his work is most beautiful." Yikes.
  2. Hey, he ditched the tin can control plate! Whats next, a trussrod?
  3. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    The headstock could be different, I mean Alembic-like or something:D this Select by EMG..man....and NO trussrod, dammit. $400 :eek:
  4. LMAO!

Honestly, if it wasn't for that pot and the ugly saddle, I could believe it wasn't a Whishnevsky... The body looks extremely decent as compared to other Wish's.
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Of course the body looks decent, he stole the design. ;)
  6. Talk about a low blow.. but oh so true ;)

The headstock.. is aweful.. Spoils the bass!! :(
  7. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Actually, I really really like this Wishbass.

If it had a trussord, I do think I'd bid on it.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Since I always found the headstock to be the nicest thing about those basses, I still think it's ok.

To say Wish stole a design and not think the same about Sadowsky, Mike Lull, etc. is, all kidding aside, a double standard.
  9. At least the auctions no longer explain how there is no need for a trussrod because of the rigidity of the woods used on the neck. :) It simply states the facts: No trussrod.

You gotta give him props for improving his truth in advertising m.o.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My thoughts, exactly.
  11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have seen one on ebay with a truss rod.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That door-stop bridge just er.........oh well.

Is "fully non-adjustable action" a feature ???

Yeah, the headstock.......Has he ever heard of "straight string pull"???

Too bad that figured maple couldn't have met a better fate.
  13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    this is the nicest i have seen
    pretty soon i will have to get one.
    one with a trussrod. and a real bridge.
    maybe i can e-mail him.....
    i really like the body but not the headstock.
    and the control cover is gone thank jebus!!

14. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Woo hoo I'm almost feelin' the gas. The tin can lid will never die though it just got moved to the back of the bass. Maybe we need to do a mass e-mailing about this truss rod thing.
  15. looks nice, I happen to like some of his designs...the Banana bass is a work of art, I really wish he'd get a new back drop..that oldish blanket gig is just not happening, IMO

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    He actually Says "Hippie Sandwich" in his posting.... right off of the Alembic website.

Man, I have one of his 'experiments'.... as a conversation piece. Usually my stringed friends come over to poke fun at my judgement on getting the instrument....

17. the string pull doesn't really look any worse than on Warwicks or Zons, or Gibsons with 2+2 headstocks.

and at least he's angled the bridge the right way this time:D

why does he insist on fitting those cheap aluminium control knobs?
    does he have a yard full of old 70's music centres he takes the knobs off to fit on his basses?
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mock - I fully respect what you are saying about the Warwicks and the Zons. Excellent examples that are true. But I won't include Gibson, based on my experience.

The thing that bugs me about Wish's string pull is that so little on his basses seems well thought-out. Like the Gibson I once owned and those that I played, they required constant retuning, especially as string designs/tensions changed. (I wonder if the downaward force of the strings, given the proximity of his through-body ferrules, wouldn't crack his bridge in time???).

Forgive me if I'm saying something you already know, but a neck moves as you tighten your strings. Straight string pull minimizes the "twist" the neck endures. The force is more "vertical" to the neck instead of "horizontal. I imagine Wilfer's people and Joe Zon have been at it long enough to compensate for this with their construction techniques.

But Wishnevsky???
  19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's actually quite a pretty body - doesn't look hacked at all, but really nicely carved. and the strings even look almost the same distance from one another.

actually, that's a really nice looking instrument. i wonder how it sounds - i know hippiesandwich, i hope he gets it.