wishnevski thumb?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, Jul 31, 2003.

1. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    hasn't been a Wishy thread lately- that I know of.

Is this his OLP thumb maybe?
    ebay wishy

it's made of "5 or 6 different kinds of wood!"
  2. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    that actually looks interesting in a retro-70s, green shag carpet kind of way. Gotta give him credit for one thing, he marches to the beat of a different bass and doesn't seem to mind.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, yeah; he definitely has a singular vision!
    There's a couple of his more recognizably signature basses on ebay now too.
    We'll have one at the Summit for people to check out.

They sound pretty darn good! Well, the one I played does anyway...
  4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Does he not know? :p
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I would buy that out of sheer curiosity.
  6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    if the upper horn resembled that of a warwick streamer, that would be one bad ass looking bass.
  7. corky st. clair

corky st. clair

Apr 22, 2003
    ah, more like a wishnevski anus, methinks.
  8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It's interesting how much Wish and Carl Thompson have in common - butcher-block striping, non-adjustable wood bridges, the control plate. Obviously, the build quality isn't comparable, but some of these Wishes look like something Carl probably made in the early 70s.
  9. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Excellent buy, notice that the "side dots are included"!!??
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Better question: would he care if he did know?
  11. Just out of curiousity, how would one go about setting the intonation on a bridge that you can't adjust. Can it be done at all?:confused:
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I would buy it just to have one. Just to be able to say "yeah. it's a Wishnevsky..."

maybe if i were hip but not really too concerned about my gear that would be cool.

I'm sure some avant-garage bands would find it terribly post-modern.
  13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Well, by definition, no. People do it because it's a simple look, or, in the case of Wishnevsky, because they're lazy/not into measuring. On a fretless bass, it doesn't matter too much, since you can adjust your intonation while playing. Violin family instruments don't typically have adjustable bridges (I think, I could be wrong); in fact, they aren't even angled to give rough intonation. But, again, it doesn't matter on a fretless instrument. Acoustic guitars are also unadjustable.

Usually, they are setup on an angle to get you roughly intonated. Sometimes they'll be cut to exact spots to get you exactly intonated, but this goes out the window if you change string gauge.

<a href=http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94766>This Eshenbaugh</a> looks like a non-adjustable bridge, but it apparently has screws under the strings that can be adjusted. I'm not sure how he did that. He probably used the Force/Shwartz.
  14. Thanks for the info.

that eshenbaugh is an awesome looking bass.

15. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Are those body woods put together completly random?
  16. odie

odie Supporting Member

"....Kent armstron Humbucker" Soapbar:confused: :rolleyes:
  17. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh the G.A.S., I can't stand the pain.
  18. Seems that he wants to make it very clear that "THERE IS A TRUSS ROD." I almost get the impression that sentence is aimed directly at us, like "hey TB, I finally built a bass with a trussrod, ARE YA HAPPY NOW?!?" :p

Is it just me, or are the E and G strings a bit too close to the fingerboard?

Eh well, like he says, "nitpickers will be happier with souless factory stuff." :D
  19. xparis001

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
  20. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    oh, that bass definitely has "soul" It probably also comes with elevator shoes.