Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wishnevsky double bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Fluke, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

Just wondering what you all think of this... Wish is now making a ACOUSTIC upright bass. It's hardly typical for sure... he's also made a 9-string with fanned frets:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMHO:The fanned fret piece looks pretty rough on the close-up..How do they sound?
    (Phill Yost comes to mind)

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cool!

If I may ask, what were the prices?

:)

Joe.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm utterly speechless about both of those. I can only speculate that those instruments owe their existence -- in part -- to the plentiful amount of mary jane flowing through the greater Winston-Salem area.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Indeed! I am afraid of that bass! If you have trouble building an electric how can you build an acoustic???

7. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    ..wow.. I'm oddly intrigued by the look, but I'm not buying.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'm starting to think this is "art" or something.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Check out his guitars...
    [​IMG]

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Now THAT looks like something I could play(if I could play guitar)...

11. The Double Bass Wish:

I like the use of the natural wood colors. The "moved sound holes" is risky;- something borrowed from modern acoustic guitar design that may not work the same way on a DB (on the guitars moving the sound holes to the upper bouts supposedly increases resonance of the top by allowing less bracing.) The "handle" I think would be detrimental to the flexibility or spring action (with particular attention to the "S" in "spring") of the ribs. The body needs to flex like a double "S" spring. If this handle is as solid as it looks, it would definitely suppress flexibility of the C bout. The cutaway side is not well shown. It's a trade-off to have a cutaway. I'm sure the way-up-there thumb positions are easier to negotiate, but the volume of the body is cut considerably.

The fan frets bass guitar:

This is not really anything new for those of you who are seeing it for the first time. There were early lutes that were designed this way (fan-frets) because optimizing the length was often the best and easiest way to get a particular gauge of gut string to a particular pitch. One could avoid thin sounding high pitch strings by using heavier gauges on those courses and the low strings benefit also by being able to use gauges that are more flexible. With limited gauges one could get a wider range of pitches from the bass strings to the trebles. I think only a masochist would attempt to play such a thing. It's like a Precision in mid morph to an SG. It probably has a pretty fat sound across the spectrum though.

It is encouraging to see innovation and individuality, even if it brinks on the impractical. ;)

12. :eek: Be afraid, be very afraid!

I wonder if he cut the fanned fret slots himself. I definitely wouldn't trust Mr. Wishnevsky on that.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Clocks. Does Steve make clocks ?

14. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I think that handle would be hittin my nuts when I do heavy pizz strokes....as for the ribs/front color difference - is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of the funny Danelectro slabs?

String angle is more like of an EUB.....and that bridge looks....wrong.....I dunno, count me out.

Bob Ross makes unusual basses, but they seem to work fine from what I've heard!

It'd be quite amusing to show up for an audition with this one....

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Bob Ross makes basses with removable c-bouts, no ? For ease of soundpost adjustment. His basses are nice looking...

16. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    quite snazzy, they are...........

http://www.rossdoublebass.com/

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Wish bashing has been a TBBG pastime for quite a while. I'd hate see it start over here. The guy does persevere if nothing else. He's been around forever.

He must do 'cid or something. His stuff is outrageous.

18. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    > Bash Mode back on after humanistic plug <

That thing (thang?) looks like it has probably a C or Db neck on it as well.

The same way that you'd tease a soul for playing jazz, with said person having never heard jazz (but read about it in a book), you have to allow us, as participants in the strange world of bass, to rib-poke one who would take on updating a tried-and-true design by stripping it of only its most important features.

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

You could make it your official thumb position practice bass. :)

As mentioned, he has taken plenty of hammering here at TB.

I think Mr. Wish has taken concept of form over function and jumped with it off a cliff.

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    "Throw me down the stairs my suitcase."

Are you from Hamtramck, MI, by any chance. If so, send me some of the local pierogies -- the best!

:)