Wishnevskys are under-rated!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Okay everone, 'fess up! I can't be the only one who digs these instruments. Think about what other basses you can get for the price of Wishy. You're not going to get a neckthrough with anything remotely resembling the nice wood combinations that Wishnevsky uses. You're not going to get anything that has had nearly the amount of attention that was put into it and you're not going to get anything unique.

Play your $150 Rogue or ultra-mass-produced Squire P-Bass. Nobody is going to give you a second look. Now get on stage with a Wishnevsky! I guarantee that, for good or bad, you'll be the center of attention.

That being said, let's see some Wishnevsky pics!

- Dave
  2. I like them as pieces of art. Playable bass? Nah.

Sorry, I've just seen too many construction errors.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    have you seen the pickup routing and placement, especially on the 5 and more string basses?

How about the bridges? He doesnt even angle them the right way for compensation!

And no truss rod?!

Im sorry man, but that cant be a verry playable bass.

Ive seen the uprights he makes and they look nice. Id consider buying an electric upright from him if I got to be involved with the design. One of his electric uprights I saw had a regular J pickup under the extreemely radiused strings which would definetly make picking up the A and D strings very difficult compared to the E and G. It just seems pretty insane seeing what he does with these basses.

4. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Damnit beavis! I told you to stop making those damn bass guitars.
  5. uh, have you actually PLAYED one, dave?
  6. Not yet. Have any of the dozens of people who have been slamming Wishnevsky's instruments played them?

I haven't addressed playability. I have read some of Wishnevsky's eBay feedback entries and they have all been positive.

Maybe they don't play well or have good intonation or action. They get a hell of a lot more respect from me than some mass produced CNC manufactured ultra-budget bass that costs about the same.

Wishnevsky has created many unique instruments and while some of the designs may not be all that aestetically pleasing to me. I admire his conviction and effort and I respect him. I like his wood combinations and the fact that he gives each instrument a unique design.

How functional they are as an instrument will depend on the player who buys one. Would you rather hear Jaco on a Wishnevsky or Fieldy on a $5000 alembic? It's the player that makes the music anyway.

I guess the point of this post is that we shouldn't all get on the slam-Wishnevsky bandwagon whenever a post about his instruments comes up. Some of the things that you guys write about him and his instruments are downright rude. Would you all say the same things if he were reading this forum? Sadly, I'm sure that it wouldn't matter to some.

I'd be willing to bet that the people most vocal on the subject have never even tried one. Maybe they play better than they look like they would. Maybe not. It's the same mentality that JT slammed in his "over-rated" post pinned to the top of the forum. That is, people giving opinions about things in abusive and negative manners when they have little or no experience in the subject.

- Dave
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Triple snap in Z formation!!
  8. I might be able to live with the looks if the construction were a bit better. If he put a trussrod in, lined up the pickups right (or at least use ones that don't rely on pole pieces!), and straightened out some of the other flaws, it would be worth the gamble for such a low price. But with all the flaws he has in his current instruments, I'd rather play a Squier.
  9. some of his designs are cool, yes. i thought about getting one, before i knew as much as i do now, about construction, lack of a trussrod, etc. and by the time you pay for important features like quality pickups, trussrod, etc., it's not quite so cheap.
    and as far as jumping on the wish-bash bandwagon; i usually make every joke and rib humanly possible, in almost any situation, at almost anyone's expense. i'm just that kind of a-hole.
  10. i'm sorry that you feel bad for the guy, dave. but you can't tell anyone that the basses are underrated if you've never played one. sure, it's POSSIBLE they play well, but wishnevsky's detractors are making fun of obvious things, such as lack of a trussrod and poor alignment, not to mention that they are hideous. is it not justifiable for me to say that an ugly car with no shocks or power steering is a piece of crap, even if i've never driven it? i think it is. yeah, with Jeff Gordon behind the wheel it might impress me, but that doesn't make it underrated.

and why would you respect them more than a mass-produced bass? the end justifies the means. if it sounds and plays good, i don't care if it came from a factory.
  11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dave, I haven't played one. However, without playing one, I can tell you that the ones I've seen on eBay and elsewhere are ugly as sin, IMO. So I'm not likely to play one unless someone I know gets one, which also seems unlikely.

Incidentally, I am mostly playing my five-string Squier these days, and that's an underrated bass. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my tone recently. I prefer that to someone saying, "Hey! Check that whacked-out bass!"

If you get one, let us know how it is.
  12. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Never played one. I can see obvious flaws, just from lookin' at the pics. No need to point them out again. I don't mind the peanut body style, if the thing had a truss rod. Which I guess he does offer now. I guess I could live with some construction flaws. But not the ones that affect playability. For instance strings off the side of the fretboard. Pickup placement could cause problems with the sound as well. I think I'd get an Essex first. Never played one of those either:D

Any way I hope this will not be considered "overrated thread crap" it's just my .02
  13. I don't think my point has been clear enough. I was trying to subtly ironic and make the point that people shouldn't just assume that everyone hates Wishnevskys and that maybe they're not as bad as everybody makes them out to be.

Every post about his instruments, of which there are many, seems to begin with the assumption that everybody thinks his basses suck and everybody is just looking for another chance to bash him.

Yeah, his pickups are generally misaligned and he doesn't use truss rods ( I think his most recent creation does though ). Does anybody have any direct experience that this means that his necks are unplayable or that the strings don't sound right because of the pickups? I have a custom P-bass that was converted from 4 strings to 5 strings. This means that the pole pieces aren't aligned for any of the middle strings. However, the bass still sounds great and there is no noticable difference in volume between the strings.

As for how they look, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see many many basses here that I find aesteticially unpleasant. Obviously the builder though differently and since they sell, so do other people. I've seen at least a dozen Wishnevskys and there were a couple of them that I liked. Most I didn't though. The difference is, if I dislike something, I usually don't say anything at all or if I did feel compelled to voice my opinion, I would do so in such away that didn't disrespect the designer.

I guess my point is that people should show a little more respect for other people. People are buying his instruments. Even if it's just for kicks or as a conversation piece, people find value in them. The general assumption by people who post messages that bash him and his instruments is that everyone feels the same way. Then people go along with the mob mentality and the insults start getting worse and worse.

Of course, these are just my opinions and people are of course welcome to continue to be hurtful and insulting to other people within whatever tolerance the moderators will allow. Obviously JT felt that some people had crossed some lines and made that clear.

Just think about how Wishnevsky might feel if he dropped in here and read the posts about him and his instruments. Then think about how you would feel if someone made similar comments about you. I try to treat others how I would like them to treat me. Yeah, sometimes I give people the smackdown if I feel that they are not being respectful or are otherwise acting badly. By that time, they've already crossed the line though.

This is starting to get off-topic so let's get back to the topic. Who here has direct experience with a Wishnevsky? Let's get some informed opinions and hear from people who don't hate his instruments.

- Dave
  14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, I agree with most of this. Steve Wishnevsky obviously has some woodworking skill, although I find his sense of esthetics odd. He's built and sold a lot of instruments. I don't like them, but as you say, somebody's buying them.

BTW, did you check the "Bartolini sucks" thread over in Pickups?
  15. I just peeked at it now. Heh, heh. I have Barts in all of my basses and Warrs. There are enough people around defending Bartolinis though.

BTW, anyone going to NAMM should check out the Bartolini booth. They always have a really impressive array of high-end basses. Last year I met Steve Sukop, Ken Bebensee and Pete Hanewinckel ( who I already knew ) there.

- Dave
  16. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Here's a thought. When I started painting houses I started in the closet. Please refrain from the coming out of the closet jokes, I'm not that kind of guy!:) Just a good place to start because most people don't spend a lot of time in the closet. Any way my point at this late hour is that in most fields there is usually some kind of training period usually like an apprenticeship. before we begin to advertise our work for public consumption. So let us assume that I am a good house painter and then let's say that I begin to paint portraits. Well, the materials are similar(sort of), and my first portrait is okay. If I go and put this up for sale at a discounted rate of course, on a site where art critics hang out, I'm gonna get a bad review!!! My own d*mn fault!

It is beginning to look as though he is trying. So I'll give him credit for that.
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I actually like Wish's Bannana Bass. I would play that one live. I'll bet it's louder than my Tacoma acoustically.
  18. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Read the Wish megathread, JT constantly slams Wish, which I found to be unreasonable. Its the same thing if Wish got on mullet boards, and took shot after shot every chanve he got on JT. Without a doubt, Wish would be much better off with some routing templates, but jeezzzzz....isnt what he did in that thread to wish basically the same thing as his "Under-rated" thread was warning against? I agree wish basses appear to need some refinements, but it looks as though recently he has added truss rods, and adjustable bridges...a step in the right direction. I personally would like to try out a few of wish's designs, then I would give a fair review. Until then, I don't know.....and will keep my mouth shut. Sorry if this seems like I am picking on JT, wasn't my intentions....but hypocritical actions piss me off.