1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Witch bass is better? Fender Jazz 08 or a warwick corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liljawn, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Hi bass community,

Im looking to purchase my first bass i ve been playing guitar for awhile and am looking to make a change over to bass guitar.

So what my question is witch bass is right for me i have two that i cant decide between. I was woundering if some of you with some experince could inform me on the pluses and drawbacks of these two basses i ve been looking at. I normaly dont post questions ever but i just cant seem to find any good information on the wood types used in these two guitars like i ve read warmoth on Bubinga and alder. But being as i know nothing about bass tone qualitys and what im wanting i just cant decide. All that i know is that i want a jazz.

Fender Standard 2008
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Jazz-Bass?sku=515755

Warwicks
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Corvette-Standard-Bass?sku=519128
    and
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Corvette-Standard-Bass?sku=514195

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Well, we can't know better than you, as you might expect. What kind of wood would give you the sound you're looking for is something only you can tell by trying them out.

Welcome to bass playing, and a lifetime of GAS :D

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Well, then it's simple. Fender makes a Jazz; Warwick doesn't.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Both Warwick and Fender are quality manufacturers, and the difference is more in terms of feel, comfort, and tone. The best is the one you like the best.:)

5. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Both are great basses. If you like a thin neck, get the Jazz. If the neck size doesn't matter, then both are super. The Warwick is heavy. The weight contributes to its tone, but it is heavy.

6. Ok well let me add to this then does anyone have any opinions on these 2 basses that they would like to share?

im in the dark and also live in a small town where there isnt a music store i can go try these out at i ve done a lot of research. Just wanted some opinions i guess... *shrugs*

7. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Which one is better, a caddilac or a mercedes?

I think a porsche! :bag:

8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I personally prefer the Fender, but IMO those 2 basses sound very similar tonally. The Fender will definitely be lighter, though.

However, f you want to go fretless you should get the Warwick. They do a damn good job on fretless, whereas Fender..... not so much.

9. It's always risky to buy without trying. Both are good basses and, as said, it comes down to personal preferences.

Me: I prefer the Fender neck over the Warwick neck- but I only know that because I've tried both.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Welcome to the bassist community. :)

Off course the cliché advice still stands: try them out and see what you think about it.

A bit of my own boring advice:
    Are you sure you want to spend that much money right away?
    If you like a jazz, consider the Squier Vintage Modified series as your first bass... and work your way from there.
    Then at least you may have a reference point in your further search for a bass that will suit you.
    Not to discourage you but after 9 years I still don't know what bass I want. :)

Note: it's not my opinion that every beginner must start with a Squier.
    If you can afford more expensive bass and you really want that right away, nothing stopping you. As long as you are happy with it.

Either you hate or love Squier. I'm even considering a Squier VM. You can't beat that price/quality.

Good lucK with your purchase.
    And good luck in picking up playing bass.

11. Personally, I like Warwicks..emphasis on "like"..many people swear by them and others think they are big clumsy beasts...they have a tone that is unique to the name..I'm in the middle on them..wouldn't mind having one , but it would not be my main bass. Having said that, it wont help you still, you have to try one. Now a Fender Jazz...I LOVE a good Fender Jazz bass. notice the emphasis there.... Tonal variation is great, can be used on any type or genre of music, and is on MANY of the good recordings you've heard your whole life. I'm biased though, as I have an almost inappropriate relationship to Jazz basses. I think the ratio of hate/love on J-basses leans farther to the positive side.

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    a few thoughts:

According to old Fender ads, The J bass was designed to help guitarists make the transition, due to its thinner neck...

Any used bass you buy that is of good quality from a decent maker will allow you to sell your bass for around what you paid for it should you lose interest or find one you like better...

I'd find a used Fender for ~650 (like the one I just bought on Ebay) and if it doesn't work for you, sell it and try something else.

13. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Well.... the Jazz has a smoother, deeper low end. Not a huge difference. The Jazz neck is noticeable thinner at the nut. Most Warwicks feel far more beefy close to the nut. A fair amount of people complain about the feel of Warwick necks on this and other forums.

I like the tone on both, but I would characterize the Warwick as being more mid-range dominant than the Jazz. I think that has more to do with it's pickups, because there sure is a lot of wood in a Warwick.

Both are good slappers. To me, the treble on the Jazz is more what your ears is expecting to hear from a bass. However, they both have a great feel for slap if their action is properly set for that.

For finger style playing, both basses' treble sounds very similarly to me. They are both great. Playing live with a band, they both cut through nicely as long as you have enough horsepower in your amp.

14. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Apples to oranges, mon frere. Go forth to GC and compare for yourself.

...That said, get the 'wick $$. :bag:

15. Fender J is sounding like the way to go from the posts so far. also i did own a starter bass i would call it i got for 150 dollars played around with then hocked for 100 dollars to see how i liked bass i ve been saving money for a nice one. Fender is what i wanted to go with but i ve awlays heard good things about warwick and was curious what other people thought.

16. Its two hour drive to the nearest guitar center that me and my buddy are going to take this saturday i think. So i can try out these basses and he can try out some new guitars.

17. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Good thing you are going to a GC. I'm reasonably sure it will have a few Warwicks for you to play. I know they will certainly have a number of Jazz basses. Happy hunting.

18. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well. both are great basses, in a similar price range and with similar pickups configuration.

The Warwick has its own trademark sound, IMO is a bit more modern, with plenty of definition and a good amount of growl.
    It`s also heavier (the bubinga version) and the neck profile is a bit chunkier.

The Fender Jazz has a more "traditional" tone. IME, it`s more balanced from string to string. It`s also lighter and with better resonance. It`s my personal favourite and also my main gigging bass.

19. Yeah you owe it to yourself to try before you buy..... Good luck!

20. Transitioning from guitar, a jazz might feel more comfortable to you b/c of the slimmer neck profile.