Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

With a Low B 2 10's or 1 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 25, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What handels a Low B better 2 10's or 1 15 specificaly for Ashdown Combos?.Thanks

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    In my expirience a 15 handles the B better for the first 3 frets. After that you are back in territory where the 10s will be adequate.

In my book get both.

3. +1.

2x10 Combo + 1x15 Deep Cab. Job done. :) :)

4. MAJOR METAL

Thats a great idea. :hyper:

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Depends on the cab. With some companies (such as Bergantino), the 2x10 has lower frequency response than the 1x15. Even so, the 1x15 might *sound* lower due to having less midrange punch.

FWIW I preferred tens when I played fours, and I still prefer tens now that I play fivers.

6. Yep, all relative to speaker type and cab as to how it will sound. In General...1 x 15 will go lower than 2 x 10 which will be punchy in the mids.
    I however have an Avatar Cab with JBL and get some low end and mid punchiness...along with smooth highs if needed due to the horn and a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover.

Whereas if you get the B115H Avatar cab with the Eminence Kappa Pro LF...be ready to "knock the paint off the walls" with the kick butt low end. It will however suffer a bit in the mids and need the 2 x 10's.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. +1.

I play almost exclusively 5's these days, and find I need the 15 on the bottom. The 10's just don't cut it for the low end. In live outdoor situations, I use a couple of 18's for subs, to beef up the ground-travelling stuff. I usually cross them over at around 100 Hz or so, so they don't affect the punchiness of the smaller speakers.

8. MAJOR METAL

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you are planning on starting off with just a combo I'd say get the 15" one. I've had reasonable luck with my 15 inch combo in metal band practice situations.

Adding a 210 extension cab latter will only improve things.

I would advise looking into a cab+head arrangement too. I think you can get either a 210 or a 115 Avatar bundled with the Ashdown MAG300 head for about what you would pay for either combo.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Another consideration if you really want the combo would be to check out the Low Down Sound cabs where you can get a small rack built into the cab.

11. MAJOR METAL

I will check that out, have a Blessed Easter Adron. :)

12. MAJOR METAL

Does anyone make 2 15's in a cabinet?.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Bergantino NV215!

14. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I just ordered a 2x15 from LowDown Sound. Should be ready next week. It has 2 15s, and 2 6s in it! It's a neo cab and only weighs around 70 lbs!

15. MAJOR METAL

Wow that is something.

16. MAJOR METAL

Is Aguilar making a single 15 combo?

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have found some 15's that I just love. The Bergantino HT115 is my favorite 1x15, followed by the older (EV loaded) Mesa Boogie Diesel/Road Ready series. Boogie also made a 2x15 back then, and I still think that the Diesel/RR 2x15 is one of the best cabs I have ever heard. I heard (and lifted!) the Low Down Sound 2x15, and it is incredibly huge in tone, but light in weight! The Berg NV215 is incredibly good, as well.

But, before you write off 10's, while the HT115 will toast many 2x10's I have heard, ACME's Low B-2 has incredible low end response (and was specifically designed with the low B in mind, as its name implies). Accugroove's Tri 210L is also quite stout in the lows, and my EA VL-210's still amaze me with their tight, deep, seismic lows (when pushed with enough juice).

So my bottom line is that it varies from cab to cab, and there are 1x15's that sound great on the low B, just as there are some that don't like much below a low E. Same goes for 2x10's.

18. All I know is that my 810 cab absolutely DESTROYS every 215 cab I've played through, especially dealing with the low B.