With all the love for *cough* wishbass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kronos, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I had an idea, and I wanted to see if the experts here thought it could be a decent idea.

I've done tons of research on Wishbass, which a lot of the research comes from seeing the Buy a Wish threads posted here, and I think I've come to some sort of middle ground. Currently, I'm sitting on the fence and I wanted to get an idea of what everyone here thinks.

Let's go over what we know about Wishbass. They have thick necks, like an upright. No trussrod without paying for it. Weird pickup spacing. A bone bridge that just floats under the strings. A box for a headstock. Bad (or no) finishing. Nails for side markers. Ridiculously long fingerboards. Sub-par sanding. Cheap prices. Good sound.

Now, knowing all this, I had a thought. What if I could design a bass myself, send the design to Wishnevsky, have him do the cutting and routing (to the specs that I would send him for the Pickups, nut, etc), send a pre cut 6 string ebony fretboard (from Luthiers Mercantile which has the fret slots already cut for about $30-whereas for an ebony fretboard Wish charges $100 I believe), along with a pre cut nut AND adjustable bridge, have him finish the bass in white with just the holes routed for the pickups which I would install myself.

I've been thinking about this, and I also thought that I could give him a rough example of what I wanted for a design, and shape the rest myself, since I would be doing the finishing. Granted, my woodworking skills aren't that of a luthier, but I think that the design I would want, with some patience and a lot of sanding, I could get there.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Is it worth it?
  2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
  3. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    umm, ok...Care to elaborate?
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would e-mail wish himself, and see if he's on for the idea. Whatever sub par stuff he does, you can do yourself. It's worth a try, but you will have to collaborate with wish about doing it only partway so that you can complete it.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

6. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's what I was thinking of doing. Main reason is that I'm really on a budget, and I don't have a shop or the tools to really go ahead and make my own bass as much as I'd love to.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If that were the case, I would search ebay for MightyMite brand bodies, use a rondomusic.net neck, and then find the hardware at your liesure.
  8. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ok...maybe I should've been a little clearer with what I had in mind. While the mightymites are nice, I really don't want a fender clone. What I wanted was a 6 string lined fretless bass with a nicer body style. I almost went Gecko until I saw the prices. I also am worried about de fretting my current 6 string because I use it for gigging and I've only handled a fretless once. I couldn't see doing all that to my bass and not really having enough time to acclimate myself to the fretless. This was why I thought about going Wish.
  9. The problem with going Wish is that there is a decent chance that even if you gave him schematics and a pre-written CAD design, he might still fudge it just enough to irritate you. Save up and get the gecko. Much, much higher quality.
  10. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I think you should just build the whole thing yourself. Get that radiused, sloted fingerboard from lmii and get yourself a couple of rasps, files, a jigsaw, a drill and splurge on a cheap router (or borrow a friend's) and go at it.

Go to projectguitar.com, read all the turorials and hang out on their forum and the luthier's corner here and read as much as you can. You can easily do it yourself... with better results than Wish would.

I build my two first basses with just these tools and they look a hell of a lot better than Wishnevsky's stuff AND if you've got decent pickups in it it will sound good. No matter how much it looks like crap or not (read: Wish)
  11. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I do think wish would probably manage to fudge it anyway regardless of what materials you gave him. I wouldn't trust him with any wood full stop.
  12. Then your best bet is to get a cheap Brice/Galveston off of eBay and de-fret it yourself. That way, you don't need all of the tools to accomplish what you want. You wouldn't necessarily be able to get an ebony board, but that could be something you tinker with later.

Try eBay items: 7377240737, 7376483504, 7378289302, 7377358485

If you don't like the color, strip it down to natural; everyone needs a cheap bass to practice their "customization/mutilation" skills. Either way, it's a much cheaper way to get a starter "do-it-yourself fretless".
  13. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for everyone's help. I think I will get a cheaper 6 string off ebay and mutilate it myself. Just to see if I can get good results. Then, I'll take my hand at some home building on my own. I'll be a little more old fashioned with my building, since I live in an apartment, and can't afford to rent a garage, so most of my equipment will be small and mostly hand oriented.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Screw Wishbass, send that stuff to Nino Valenti!!
  15. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
  16. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    ok, I know I'll probably be lambasted for this, but who is Nino Valenti? And, would sending a design to him cost me an arm and a leg?
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Nino Valenti puts together kick ass fender clones from my reading. He uses pre-made parts, might do finishing himself, and does all assembly and setup and wiring. He is proud of his work, as he should be, and you wont be able to get one of his fine pieces of work for what your looking to spend Im guessing.

And defretting a cheapie bass is not very difficult. You can spend about $20-$25 on materials, one of those being a $12 or so set of fret pullers (not cutters) from Stew Mac. There is a very good defretting thread in the setup forum that I followed for defretting my old Ibanez when I stopped playing it. That would be my vote as well, get a decent cheapie bass, and defret it yourself. If you have a good setup guy in town, you might do the basic parts (pull frets, fill slots, trim them down as much as possible with a razor ect), and have your setup guy radius the board for you after you fill the slots, and recut the nut (it will need to be filed deeper). You can get a radius sanding board, and nut files from Stew Mac as well, but if your not comfortable doing the work, take it to a setup guy and get it done. It shouldnt cost and arm and a leg or anything.

Also, if you happen to know any local luthiers, you might just ask them what they'd charge for a de-fretting job. Many of them will work on other basses to supliment their income, many will not, and of course, there may not be a luthier near you either, but its worth checking into. Some guys might do it for as little as $100-150, and if your worried about losing the investment on the cheapie bass, or that you cant do the work, this might be a better option.