1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

With all the METALLICA threads....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I decided to whip out my metallica collection up to ReLoad. Im up to JFA right now, and lovin it!!!

I much prefer hetfields voice back then. Slightly gravely, and not as "singsongish".

Anesthesia made me want to re-learn it, cus I've forgotten how most of it goes.... and I love Hammets (sp?) solos :D

Im so glad he got to do some on DM :)

2. lol same thing with me on APT..i was like oh man i want to learn this one again.. and i love load/reload and the BA..cd's that get critizsized here alot..

3. I did the same recently too,...

learning anesthesia for my christmas gig im doing :D

funnily enough although most of the reload album I hate I discovered a few I like on there I had forgotten about, where the wild things are and devils dance comes to mind!

still despite all the metallica albums, and I find all of them listenable (yes even st anger tho I have to be in the mood to hear lars trash cans!), the one album I always come back to is and justice for all,... the offbeat stuff and the groove in all those tracks just does it for me a little bit more than all the others somehow,... need to try and get my band members into wanting to cover harvestor of sorrow ;)

I need to buy death magnetic and just keep listening to it, initial response from me is very good but I haven't heard enough!

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It's Hemmet! ;)

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    shows you how much I pay attentions :p :bag:

Im listening to re-load right now. I kinda skipped load. Not enough time in the day. And I really wanted to hear "Fuel" for whatever reason.

Im quite surprised to be enjoying the album. I guess my musical taste has kindof changed a little recently. I've shifted back to Zeppelin/Sabbath-esque stoner rock.

Weird....

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I thought Load was good and Reload was a complete turd.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Dude, check out some Clutch, Orange Goblin, and Corrosion of Conformity. Kick ass metal that does not focus on speed. Killer riffs throughout.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Killer riffs are where its at right now for me apparently. I will check out those bands :D I've heard of Clutch (good things) and CoC (iffy), but Orange Goblin is new to me. With a name like that tho.... :D

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that I hear a definite "evolution" in his vocal style, but even for ReLoad he has a growl to his voice that works for the band. Its the only thing missing from DM for me :(

9. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    at the risk of derailing the thread(sorry dt):

best. live. show. ever.

10. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    Dont forget kyuss....and "The Sword" best new band in a long time IMO. Almost impossible for me to listen to the sword without me keep turning it up.

11. A man after my own heart, but don't forget Monster Magnet (up to God says No), sHeavy, Priestess, Bongzilla, Sasquatch, Sleep, Kyuss, Nebula, Colour Haze, Acrimony, Electric Wizard, Acid King, Om, and older Queens of the Stoned Age!

And I'm Digging Death Magnetic except for Lars' Drums (***) and Load was good simply for Ain't My Bitch!

12. With all these Metallica threads I've been re-learning a lot of their old material too. Man did I take some shortcuts in my youth haha!

Devil's Dance makes for a very interesting floor show by the ladies in the crowd ;)

13. ooo more music for me to listen to! yeah im more of a groove metal person than insane speed,... headbanging is where its at for me ;) I'll have to look alot of those bands up!

The only thing for me that killed QOTSA was seeing them live,... wasn't hugely into them in the first place but I spent the whole time just waiting for them to finish,... and one of my friends is a huge QOTSA fan and she felt the same way! May have just been a flat night tho...

14. Shameless plug for a local stoner band: http://www.myspace.com/hypnopilot

I also recently listened to the first four Metallica albums. Fell in love with them all over again.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I agree. To me, James' best vocals were on Black, Load, and Reload. That growling, snarling, awesome voice. It kinda shows up these days, but it would be awesome if they were the same.

To me, the evolution of James' voice goes like this:
    Kill 'em all-Lighting: Classic dirty thrash teenage voice.
    Puppets-Justice-Black: Refined and grown up classic thrash voice.
    Load-Reload: Heavy metal growling snarling voice. The Best IMO.
    S&M-Anger: Like he went through puberty again. WTH happend?
    DM: Kinda back to a mix between classic thrash, and his growl voice.

Yes. And yes to all. Good stuff.:)

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    No need to apologize :D Derailed threads are often the best IME :D :D

Got some Sleep (Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker), and I've only heard of about 1/2 of the other bands. You know what that means: time to search for more music!!!! :D

They sound AWESOME!!!

17. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    Actually, his name is Kirk HAMMETT.

18. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    no, it's Kirk Hermit

19. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    It's Hamster. Kirk Hamster. *cue James Bond themed guitar solo with copious amounts of wah*

20. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    Are you sure it's not just Kermit?