1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

With all the Preamp/DI pedal options.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gremson, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    ... Have any of you just pieced together your own set of pedals in front of a standard DI box to accomplish the same thing as an Aguilar Tone Hammer, Eden WTDI, or other preamp DI pedal?

I'm thinking of setting up a pedalboard with a low gain OD pedal, EQ pedal, and maybe a compressor into a DI box. Run the DI to FOH, and through to a PA power amp and bass cab for my own stage sound.

Would this be accomplishing the same thing as a preamp/DI pedal, or am I missing something? I'd love to see/read about other folks rigs that do this too!

2. This would do exactly that! There are many straight DI's out there. I've never used it, but the JDI comes up a lot.

Then you have stuff like the REDDI, but that's starting to pump the price a bit, if you're looking for a cheaper set up.

3. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I wonder why I don't see many folks with rigs like that.

Anybody do something similar to this? Show me!

4. Needs a preamp.

5. I do it with BDDI DLX sometimes.

6. I use a Taurus TD-i preamp/direct box as a preamp into Roland Active powered 115X Bass cabinet. I have not used XLR line out and I am not sure if it is pre or post EQ [ does not give info in 'mini' manual] but my guess it is pre. It is a great sounding and intuitive to use. 3 togle switch settings vintage, modern tube and mix, midrange punch [+6db at 300] bass and treble [active] that don't change the volume only the tone also 2 toggle switches one for bass, one for treble that Cut or Boost with built in [DBS] system that cuts ultra lows for not only sound reasons but to not overload and suck out all your amps power. Also Gain & Volume with tru sound setting on gain and can be used as true bypass device also. All togle switches for tone and bass/treble cut and boost were obviously designed by bass players settings are spot on and useful. It is a hand built analogue product built in Poland. Looks cool lit up also:) Seems to fit needs and without dog and pony show dsp's [tone killers] built in [If you want a dog and pony show preamp that does not kill tone need to spend the big bucks:smug:
    sells new for $220-250

http://www.taurus-amp.pl/downloadFile-770-277

http://www.taurus-amp.pl/bass/preamp-efx/preamps/t-di.html

7. LowBC

LowBC Commercial User

Nov 17, 2008
    Music Go Round - Aurora, CO (owner) We buy used gear!
    That's what I do and it works great - tuner, compressor, OD, chorus go into a DI pedal (I use a VT Bass DI but there are plenty to choose from) and run the 1/4" out to a powered wedge monitor on stage with me and the XLR out to the front of house board.

Simple, works well, and I can move my rig in from the car in one trip.

good luck!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do exactly that with my board. A couple OD pedals for the electric, a separate EQ for the upright, into the REDDI and then into my amps. I have done the preamp thing before and liked it, but I like my current setup better because while I love the tones my VT Deluxe has, the one thing that ending up bothering me was the compression it always adds. It's subtle enough to where it wouldn't bother most folks, but I could always tell the difference so I stopped using it for the most part.