Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

with all this Ashdown talk around here...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I've been seriously looking at replaceing my B2-R.
    Right now looking at the ABM 500 EVO II.
    Any other suggestions...

Cabs: Hartke 4x10 XL, 400 watts

2. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Alot of the Ashdown talk around here seems to be about problems with Ashdown stuff.
    The Ashdown stuff I looked at seemed very cheaply made, even more so than SWR. :meh:

3. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    The ABM stuff is held in very high regard, but the MAG, not so much. The MAG series is the high end of the low end.

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    What ohms are those cabs???

5. Superfly, say what you will about the tone of SWR equipment but the build quality is very good (at least when talking about the professional series). I own a Bass 350 and am impressed with the components and construction inside and out.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I disagree.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah that behringer stuff looks way better built.

8. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Hey all. From what I've read over at harmony-central, the ABM series, MAG head and cabs etc are all meant to be built like tanks, and extremely reliable things. :bassist:

Unfortunately I have seen a few horror stories about the reliability of the MAG, electric blue, and practice series combos.

The problems with the MAG combos seem to be confined to a (possible?) design flaw in the very early Chinese production models, although I am sure that the guys at Ashdown would have sorted this out pretty sharpish. :)

9. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I have a MAG300, it's been dropped and knocked over and is transported frequently from point A to B.. so far it has held up wonderfully and sounds great to these ears

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My MAG200 combo is holding up quite well... too bad I sold it :bawl: Oh well, I needed a tube pre :cool:

Ray

11. I fully agree. I have the SWR 350x and it is quality build with quality components. I do not know what SWR he is talking but it isn't the Pro series!
    Fact! :eyebrow:

12. :meh:

I couldn't disagree more.

The SWR SM series gear I owned was some of the highest quality stuff I have ever seen.

As far as Ashdown goes they are a newer company, and had a few bugs in the beginning, but it is my understanding that most of the problems were due to shipping damage. The previous US distributor suposedly had some issues with packing. Other than a cracked footswitch jack, I havent had any trouble with mine in two years. Then, they rushed me a new jack from England no questions asked.

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    My 2 year old Ashdown ABM500 EVO has been perfect! No issues whatsoever! None.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ahh! This is where the battle is! Let me grab a seat....
    [​IMG]

15. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I have been very impressed with the way my Evo II head is built.. I've got the traditional Non-Rackmount version...

My only complaint is that the power cord recepticle seems kinda loose... Idon't know if it is supposed to be or if there is something wrong with it...

The ABM cabs are built extremly stout...

16. xonebass

xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    I don't know about the post Fender SWR equipment, but I've had my Superredhead for 7 years and I've gigged with it for nearly all that time. Never had a problem. IMO they build quality gear. Nuff said. :D

17. I did have that issue with mine too. When I was having the jack fixed, my tech put a bead of silicone around the recepticle, which took most of the slack out of it. My guess is that the recepticles must be different in the models sent to the US and the hole is cut for European version. Could be wrong though.

18. dangjalopy

dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    this crap about Ashdown being junk is just that crap. I have played for 16 yrs. I have used ampeg, carvin, swr, and ashdown. the only amp i have bought twice is ashdown. I have had a small 65W amp that i wish i never sold and a my live rig that just happens to be the "high end of the low end" as some people call it (probably have never even seen an Ashdown in person). I would swear by the Ashdown MAG series and "if" its the high end of the low end then that makes the ampegs, carvins, and the swrs the lowest of them all. just wanted make it clear!!!!!!!

19. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

That's an excellent theory... I've only ever seen one other ABM head and it was like that too...

Any suggestions on where I can get the proper type of silicon to do that myself?