Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

With fans like this, who needs enemies?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ever get some really annoying fans? We've got a crappy message board on our site, and we've got two (or more) people coming to our site over and over again using it as a private chat room. Which wouldn't be so bad except they bash us, our ex-singer, and talk about Trent Reznor all the time. And they have never even heard any of our songs! We've got 4 songs for free download, and yet they refuse to listen to any of them, and seem to relish that fact. Am I being unreasonable to think that it would be nice that people who have been visiting (and utilising) our site for months would at least download a song or two? Grr... not really pissed off here, just annoyed.

Let's hear your annoying fan stories (or at least check out our site (link below) and tell us how great we are:D ).

2. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    the thread title is all wrong....these people are not fans, either slap them or ban them from the site.

annoying fan story:

my brother's band were headlining a gig. the support band played their slot (they sucked...meh). Then my brother's band took to stage. After every one of their songs this one drunken loser starting calling out for more of the support band (they were called "rainslow")
    " rainslow! rainslow!...." time passed, pints were consumed

"slowrain! slowrain!" he got his own chant wrong. then he fell out the door and was gone.

Crackpot theory:
    Alcohol + alcohol = annoying prat?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, I suppose Limp Bizkit wasn't too happy about getting booed off stage recently ;).

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Last weekend, halfway through the last set, a drunk chick came in and started yelling "Lou Reed, Lou Reed!" after every song. We don't know any, but when we did Should I Stay by The Clash she seemed to think it was Lou so she was happy, but only for 2 songs, then she started yelling "More Lou Reed" at us.

We deserved her. We drank a lot and played poorly.

5. www.proboards.com <---go there, now...get a forum from there...now...you can ban IPs and it is really helpful...go now...GO GO GO!

6. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    wow very cool tunes,is all your stuff experimental/instrumental? How does it play live? I guess I can see why your "fans" talk about Trent Reznor.

7. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Good stuff, I just set one up for my band. This is much better than a guestbook, any ideas for me on this, here it is:

http://sideshowband.proboards20.com/index.cgi

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yeah, alot of it is experimental, ambient stuff. The sound has changed alot with the new album (like some singing here and there), but the same mindset still applies. We don't play live anymore. We don't even live in the same state; we pass files back and forth over the internet. Fun way to make music.

As for us sounding like NIN, well, I guess that's going to happen when two of us work for him and we recorded over at his studio. The programmer, Nigel, did alot of sound design for Trent, so I guess you could say that NIN sounds like us!

:D

9. I would make another category for "Musicians" and have it broken down into seperate topics kinda like here. Also...in your OT forum, have fun with moderating politics...

10. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    yeah, well, I don't expect to have a fraction of the traffic that talkbass gets so I don't think it will be too hard to moderate politics. I like your idea on musicians, I might do that.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    We've got the same thing happening right now, board getting hijacked for personal chat wars. I'll suppose it'll get edited off, but in the meantime it's goofy.

We had a rather inebriated gal requesting that we play "Haw Haw Haw" recently; I believe it turned out she was hoping to hear La Grange by ZZ Top. Not gonna happen at our gig...

oh yeah, cool site & music! Wish you could make it over to Mobile for the Summit in August... :-(

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I always seem to get mobbed by the drunks whenever my band goes on break. You know, the people who are drunk, corner you while walking to your table and start rambling on about useless crap that you couldn't care less about. Half of them try to tell you about how "They were in a band back when they were younger but they don't play anymore.....".

Hmm, from reading all these replies it's seems like majority of the annoying fans also have consumed large amounts of alchohol. Anyone else noticing a trend? :rolleyes:

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Benjamin:

My dog pissed on Trent's studio yesterday. Twice. Just thought I'd toss that out.

If Benjamin were an ice cream flavor...

14. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've sure had my run ins with some intoxicated people. You know when it gets to be a pain in the ass? When the same people come back week after week, talking the same trash.
    Then inevitably, these people will say something like "well, I'm sick of this, I'm sick of that, why don't you do this or that, etc." My reply is along the lines of "well, you can't be that unhappy, because you come back week after week."
    Usually, that works. Although one night, this older Irish woman got on my ear, and ranted and raved about a whole lot of senseless crap. Wasn't the first time it had happened either. Her tirades always ended with" I'm gonna leave." I had enough this night. I told her "if you're gonna be a miserable little b**ch, then fine, goodbye, cause I'm not gonna listen to you run your mouth all night. I've had it with you!"
    She never copped an attitude with me again. :D

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You wanna see a pathetic guestbook? Check out Dave Brockie's GB at oderus.com. The "fans" there talk about everything from their most recent bowel movements to their favorite football teams (and why their team is better than everyone else's) and to their favorite football teams. There's also a lot of garage band promotion going on (and why their band is better than everyone else's). My favorite posts are the ones where the message is their screen name ("Dirty Pig Raper" posts a thread that simply says, "I'm a dirty pig raper"). When I finally get my site up and running, my guestbook will be meticulously maintained. You're not using my bandwidth to get known. Hmph.

16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Do you really look like Andrew Dice Clay?

Not that thats a bad thing......... :D