With one will be louder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 15, 2001.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´m going to buy a tube amp 100W (old Ampeg v4b) or 200W (trace elliot V4). If I buy the 200W I can only afford one 15" (Bag End). And if I buy the 100W I can afford two 15":s.
    Witch one will be loudest?
    200W + 1x15" or 100W + 2x15"

I´d like the 100W and two 15:s to be louder ´cause I like the V4b more.

Any advise, oppinions or comments?
    Please help

2. Not sure if the Trace is tube or not, but the Ampeg one sounds like it will be louder. More speakers generally means louder noise, and tubes (per watt) sound louder than SS.
  3. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    "Not sure if the Trace is tube or not..." Yes it is, hence <B>V</B>4.

The more speakers you have the louder you'll be due to the increase in moving surface area of the speaker cone.

If it is loudness you're after then I'd go for the 2 speakers (provided transport is not a problem!). Only downside I could see is that you may end up driving the ampeg amp too hard to get enough volume (not ideal if the power amp section of the amp uses tubes {very $$ when they blow}).

Another factor to bear in mind is that from what I hear, Bag End cabs need quite a bit of power to drive them. Seeing as this is the case you might be better off with the 200w Trace.

I hope I've not thrown in too much here, and I hopw this helps! Best way is to try them both. I'f you'd be buying them from the same shop (provided theyre nice folks) they may let U try the various gear in a gig situation before you make up your mind.

Good luck m8!
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    What, Vube? ;)
    Quite the contrary, Bag End cabs are pretty efficient! Their S-15 cabs have a SPL of 103 dB, which is pretty high for a single 15". :)