1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

With or Without You?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrThumpenstein, Mar 17, 2019.

1. With

121 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. Without

61 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Search the world for a pickguard you like.

80 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Carrots

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. Carrots with a tort pickguard

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Fire the drummer!

15 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Pickguard or no pickguard, please vote and comment. Lakland 44-60, 2010, recently purchased. Took off the PG to adjust the truss rod and I just think it's a beauty this way!

PROS: I think that wood is gorgeous and I hate covering it up. I'm pretty easy on my bass' finishes and a few honest dings in a working bass gives it character, so the protection factor isn't important to me. I am not of the school that there is any real possibility that it would affect tone. I can't hear any difference so that won't enter into it. This one's a keeper, I'm not worried about resale, and I'm not ditching the old PG so whoever gets it when old Dr. T joins the Choir Invisible can decide for themselves.

CON: Screw holes, and yes, I've searched the many suggestions about how to deal with those. There's not much of an after-market for Lakland pickguards, and I just don't like the white. Won't be refinishing it for the foreseeable. Short-term, black screws hardly show up, less noticeable than the Chrome screws.
    20190317_093032. 20190317_093104.

Thanks for your opinions!

Ellery likes this.
  2. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Pickguard. Because holes. White pearl maybe, if you want to dress it up. Nice bass!

dalkowski, Phil508, gsquare and 8 others like this.
  3. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Clear! The wood shows through and no unfilled screw holes.

4. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    I did find a custom shop that can make one from an impressive range of materials, but I didn't see clear. Any leads on sources?

Yeah, screw holes are vexing!

5. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Thanks, I think about anything would be better than the starch-white nursing hat of a PG that came on it!

But it plays SO nice!

Bassist4Eris and Groove Doctor like this.
  6. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I voted “with” but admittedly I would be ok without and don’t give a rats ass about the screw holes. If you wanted to try something to make the screw holes “disappear” without harming anything, poke a brown sharpie in there to cover the bare wood.

As far as color, if you want flashy I agree with the pearl suggestion. However, a *nice* tort would look awesome with that fretboard.

7. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Thanks, yeah, I'm looking for options and I'm ok with black or *nice* tort. This acquisition was inspired by Familyman, and those are what he usually sported on his Jazz basses.

8. Without, don't worry about the holes. Clear or tort works too.

9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Black AND clear. Switch every month.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Definitely pickguard. Look how lonely those blocks are without a pickguard to match them.

M.R. Ogle, murphy, porterbass and 5 others like this.
  11. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Yeah, I could make peace with the right pearloid...

M.R. Ogle likes this.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Pickguards are pointless.

13. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Well, for a fingerstyle like me, yes, unnecessary.

Nice stuff, thanks for the opinions. Good to see some votes for no guard, I was thinking about voting in my own poll just to break the ice on that!

ctmullins likes this.
  14. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    Pearloid to match the inlays... and I don't think pickguards are pointless, they let us personalize our instruments and gives us a place to write our name underneath to prove it was ours after it's been stolen and you see it sitting in a pawn shop.

15. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Tort pickguard.

16. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    PG.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  17. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    transparent.

2tonic, DrThumpenstein and gepettus like this.
  18. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Lavender

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I can never go for the lonely control plate on Jazz-style basses with no pick guard. Something custom that looks like it belongs there would be nice.

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I’m happy to see white on burst. Reminds me of the late 90’s when I would look at similar FSO’s like they were specifically designed for the geriatric set, meanwhile drooling like an idiot for a $300 Ibanez. As I approach 40, they just look classy and dare I say, less sheeple equipped than the tort adorned. Also, Lakland’s tort looks :vomit::vomit::vomit:, so if you are going to go that route, go custom.