Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

With the first pick in the 2006 NFL draft......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jan 16, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    ....the Houston Texans select Reggie Bush!!

Bush turned pro after assurance of No. 1 pick

Poor guy, off to waste away in the nothing that is Houston Texans football. What does this mean for Domanick Davis? I always thought he was a good RB.

-Mike

2. Davis is a free agent after the season, so I'm sure he'll try to find the best situation for himself. I kinda like the guy too - not only does he run hard and play hurt, but he's a factor in the passing game as well.

Still, if the Texans subscribe to the idea that Bush will not be able to handle a full workload at the NFL level, they may try to resign Davis. In any case, without an offensive line or a defense, that team isn't going to do anything anytime soon.

3. Sheesh how is going to do with Swiss Cheese infront of him.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Despite what many may think, the Texans are on the cusp of greatness. Get a better O line and watch as ad Davis' and Carr's numbers skyrocket. The 1-2 punch of Davis and Bush would harken back to the combination of White and Bush at USC.

Here's to hoping that Vince Young gets selected to a team worth a darn. Please, please, not white and gold. About the best I'm hoping for is the Titans.

My rough predictions:

Bush - Texans
    Leinart - Saints. But I'm already seeing a whine-fest of "Eli" proportions brewing. Though I feel Vince kills him in just about any category but "being a whiner", he is what many teams will view as a good, safe QB who can fit in a many offensive styles. Young needs to have a high powered offense tailored to his talents.
    Deangelo Williams - 49er's. They need to give Smith some more time before they snake him.

That leaves Young to the Jets or Titans.

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    the Titans are picking before the 49ers...so it should go:

Texans - Bush
    Saints - Leinart
    Titans - Young

no doubt the Texans need a playmaker right now, Bush will be the way to go with that #1 pick unless they trade down.

6. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Does anyone else think that the Texans and Saints are thinking about the 1984 NBA draft?

1. Olajuwon
    2. Bowie
    3. Jordan

Again, the second pick is the scary one. Can't really argue with taking Bush. Highly drafted runners are usually worth the pick. Highly drafted quarterbacks are another thing altogether.

7. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I like the whole, "Young to the Titans so he can apprentice under his already good friend and Mentor, Steve McNair."

That strikes me as a win-win for everyone ...

Young gets to learn from somebody who has "been there/done that" -- McNair is one of the toughest QB's to ever play the game. Young can learn a great deal from him.

McNair gets to end his career with some dignity and the feeling that he is "passing the torch" to the next generation.

The Titans get an orderly (and controversy-free) transition at the QB position.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes, I like your conclusions. Hopefully it works out that way. I would be great to see Young running the Titan offense in a couple years.

-Mike

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of the NFL Draft expert/talking head-types looks into his crystal ball & sees Bush as an "Eric Metcalf-type player".
    Does one need to spend the overall #1 selection on a player that may not be an every down-kinda RB?

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002

[​IMG]

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    By greatness I meant playoff contenders. Not winning 5 Superbowls in a row greatness. Wait a few years, the pieces are coming together. Don't say anything about how you saw it coming.

Protect Carr and watch his numbers skyrocket. Ditto for Davis and Bush. That alone will make for great offense.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow, you guys have REALLY lowered your standards in Brandon, Mississippi. :D

Is it that bad down there now?

-Mike

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Carr can do it. Getting pressured and sacked all game tends to skew the numbers. I'd wager they at least have a .500 season next year.

As far as football goes, South Panola high school produces the cream of the crop of players. Big, country folks. 3 South Panola attendees were playing on the four games this weekend.

Watch out for Jerius Norwood (MSU RB) in the 2006 Draft. I project him to go 3 roundish.

14. two words for you:

detroit. lions.

aren't you supposed to be an aint's fan, anyway? deuce is your hometown boy.

still, i like that the lions may draft jay cutler. great talent, push joey. maybe with the new coach -- who i've heard was really top notch at ASU -- we may actually hit .500 this year or even challenge for a playoff berth.

whatever. detroit. lions.

robb.

15. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I think the new Saints coach, Sean Payton, pretty much guarantees a QB will be taken w/ the #2 pick - the question is still Young or Lienart. Personally, I think they are both very talented, and God knows we need a QB, so I don't think we can lose. I do agree on the potential whine factor from Matt, though.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Duece is no friend of mine. :D I suspect his motives behind his funding for the King Edward Hotel. Plus, he went to Ole Miss, by law I'm supposed to hate him since I'm attending MSU.

As long as the ASU guy doesn't try that PAC10, "all offense, no defense" style of play in Detroit he could be a good coach. They gave USC a pretty good run for their money the first game last year.

You used to live in Meridian and worked at the Peavey factory, right? How about South Panola walking all over Meridian at the State Championship? If I'm thinking about a different member excuse me.

17. Bah Brandon.....one of my school's rivals. We kill em in soccer but football is a different story.

Forget South Panola...Florence High School wins it's first game in 3 years October 05! Florence vs. Port Gibson, 32 to 21