1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

With the proliferation of Pau Ferro fretboards, will rosewood necks go up in value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Oct 29, 2017.

1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Will necks with rosewood fretboards sell for more in the classifieds? Will basses with rosewood necks fetch a premium as companies switch to cheaper wood options?

2. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Non exotic rosewoods were already pretty cheap, that's why it was used. Indonesian, Indian, etc.... Perhaps as time passes and more of the present rosewood instruments meet their end - reducing their numbers - they might appreciate in value, but when you consider they can't ship or travel easily it could be that keeps the value static. There are millions of rosewood guitars and basses out there, with not enough of a tonal difference from similar woods, IMO, to predict a noticeable "premium" for rosewood. IMO.

Beej likes this.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I doubt it. Rosewood was never really a sought after wood. It's just what companies used. It's not like a rarely used wood is becoming even more rare. Like @MarkoYYZ said, there are still millions of instruments with rosewood fretboards.

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Rosewood is a staple for acoustic guitar back and sides, and Brazilian rosewood fetches a ridiculous premium if you can find someone with old stock on hand. For bass necks maybe not, but all in all in guitar building it's still super desirable.

pcake likes this.
  5. What is the difference between Brazilian and Indian rosewood only God knows probably ... (intentionally polemic)

6. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    if you're talking the difference in $$$, quite a bit.

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I can't cite tonal differences, but Brazilian Rosewood is beautiful. EIR is not in the same class at all...

8. That depends on it. Back when B-R wasn't scarce, only the pieces with a straight grain were used, and those looked just as boring as modern rosewood. It was just in the late 1950's and in the 1960's that "lesser cuts" were used since supplies started to run short. Those lesser cuts were often sawed at an angle from the grain (or used pieces with irregular grain, like stumps), which gave highly figured pieces of wood.

9. Exactly, like my Indian rosewood Am. Std. Jazz Bass neck's fretboard with nice red-like stripes which I like much more than an almost totally black rosewood... hence to say that Brazilian rosewood is beautiful I believe is subjective