Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

With TI Jazz FLats, Will Neck Need Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Mar 2, 2004.

1. I knew up front before ordering the TI Jazz FLats that they had lower tension than your run of the mill music store roundwounds.
    Question?
    Not being a guitar mechanic, I'm wondering if the lower tension is going to have any effect on the neck? Seems to me less tension, might mean some rod adjustment. If so it might do for me to let the local store put them on. They have some excellent guitar guys there.
    Also...
    Being a church player, would you recommend not changing to the TIs just before a service, without having some wood shed time to get used to them. I play with a light touch anyway.
    (I've never comprehended how a player can break a bass string while playing. If you need to be louder, turn the knob!)

2. The lower tension strings probably will require a trussrod adjustment, but I wouldnt let it put you off, its really quite easy to adjust the trussrod (on all the basses I've owned)

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Personally I would not change string right before a practice or a gig. While stretching them as you put them on does help...it's only after some playing time that they will truly settle in.

I just ordered a set of TI Jazz Flats myself. From what I've read they are quite bright at first, but take some time to settle down. I would make the string change as long before your next gig as possible. If not, wait until after the gig.

4. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    i just put a pair of TIs on my fretless fender jazz last night (first time i changed the strings) I love the tone...the feel is a bit different though. much less tension, and they're much thinner than the stock fenders. I do like them a lot though.

I had to adjust the truss rod and the action b/c of the huge difference in tension. I didn't like them when I first put them on, but after settling over night they're really cooking now. they're great.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I didn't need to adjust my truss rod at all, though there is less tension with the TI's vs. my LaBellas. Strange as I was expecting to have to do just that.

Yes, they do have a different feel...and I also am still adjusting to the difference in tone. I love them...though at times the tone is so different that I am readjusting my amp settings.

They take a while to get used to, that's for sure.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I really had to loosen my truss rod for TI Flats;
    (Warwick wenge neck 4)

In fact I loosened it all the way and then it took about half a turn tight.

T.I. String Tension Chart

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have had to change my set up about 50% of the time.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I had to make truss rod adjustments and bridge saddle adjustments. I use them exclusively now so it ended up being a one time only thing as expected.

9. I had a phone conversation with Bill Lawrence (pickups) and one of the points he mentioned was how players pull and stretch their new strings.

Bill told me this destroys the string, and it will never stay in tune due to being stretched beyond its modulus of elasticity.

I never stretch my new strings, and my P-bass stays in tune for months at a time.

YMMV.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I only use TI jazz flats. In all probability you'll need a truss rod adjustment and probably bridge depending on how hard your attack is - they floppy dudes.

They take about two weeks to settle in. At first they'll sound a lot like rounds - but that won't last. After a couple weeks the change is so subtle you won't notice the difference.

I wouldn't recommend a string change before a gig unless you don't mind being out of tune.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I put them on my Warwick Infinity ltd 2000 and i am very happy with the way they work with the bass. I had to make a small adjustment to the truss rod but that was just to correction the action.The do have sonsiderable less preassure then the past warwick strings.