1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

With what to power my new ElWhappo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by King V, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Stewart World 1.2 or 2.1

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. Crown Power Amp

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Crest Power Amp

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Keep my SVT4Pro

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Other...make a suggestion!

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. King V

King V Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys, just picked up an Accugroove ElWhappo from BigString. Now I just have to decide how to power it! Any suggestions from Accugroove owners on how best to reach the limits of human hearing with this thing? Give me your thoughts! :bassist:

2. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Crest CA-9 and your preamp flavor of choice would be my bet.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I've very satisfied with my Crown K2. I tried a bunch of those listed before I bought it.

4. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I would definitely roll with the Stewart. There is no comparison considering weight and sonic quality. Everytime I fire mine up I think I've died and gone to heaven. And it only weighs 10 pounds.

Shear bliss...;)

SuperT

www.myspace.com/supertanker

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congratulations King V! I was wondering if you picked that El Whappo up from Big String. I bought his former Tri-210 from TB'er Gruuv several weeks ago and really love it!

I think any of the power amps you mentioned with a nice pre should sound great! Accugrooves love power! I used a T-Funk TFB-420 and Demeter 201S/QSC-1602 with my former Whappo Jr. cabinet and both sounded great but the Demeter/QSC rocked the house! IMO the T-funk could have used a bit more headroom but......... it was plenty loud enough for anything that I play.

I use an Eden WT-550 with the Tri-210 and it sounds really nice. I think the key is to use an amp with plenty of headroom and you'll be very happy!

6. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I can recommend the CA9 because I have one and used it.
    The DB750 was very good too, but pretty thick at times.
    Others definately recommend the TF which I like too but thought a bit more headroom was in order. I think the Crown would be great too. On big outside gigs the DB750/EW rig was the best I've played thus far, only doing 5-6 of those a year anymore though. Enjoy!

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

For you Whappo and AG fans.... check out the announcement on the Groove Shoppe Forum... looks like they've revoiced the low end of the El Whappo to be a little more 'tight', and also swapped out the tweeters for a version with a little more 'pop and sizzle' (which where my only two 'complaints' about that very nice cab). Very nice upgrades IMO if they deliver on that promise.

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    A nicely sized tube amp, but that's somewhat biased. :D

I'd get what you think will work best for the playing you do.

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    +1 on the CA9. Unless you want to sink some cash and get a Demeter 300 watt tube amp (the best amp I have ever heard) I would say you can't go wrong with a used CA9. I got mine for around $500 on the bay. Best 500 I've ever spent gear wise!

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Well, I'm planning to revamp my rig and I'm sell off all my cabinets to put an El Whappo under my Classic 400 :smug:

Couple of these tube monsters are in the classifieds now.

11. im gonna have to suggest a QSC. cheap, dependable and VERY powerful. Im looking forward to the PLX3402 model.

12. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    THUNDERFUNK :smug:

thats my ultimate rig. a thunderfunk with an accugroove el whappo or whappo jr.

and then like, a dingwall or mtd on the other end.

</end gas>

13. I agree totally here the T-Funk R O C K S with an EW...still one of my alltime favorite rigs! You guys must play REALLY friggin loud if you ran out of headroom on the T-Funk.....I never had a problem with mine at all, inside or out.

Peace,

T

14. Though it's not on your list, I'd take a QSC PLX, but my second choice is a Stewart, for lightweight, clean power. :D

15. King V

King V Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys. I'm kinda leaning toward the CA9 or the Stewart World. Now just to find one used somewhere!
    :hyper:

16. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    What he said.

17. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, &amp; Fishman
    I voted for keep the SVT4 pro. At least for a little while since you are familiar with it and it has plenty of power and decent EQ. I think you should play a couple of gigs with the pair to get familiar with the El Whappo. That way you can figure out what you want from a new head BEFORE you just go out there and buy one based on what other people are saying. It's best to know what you are looking for before you try to find it.

I don't mean to ruin your fun, but that's my 2cents.

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've owned 2 Stewart amps (PA1000 and 1.6) and really liked the sound but I'm surprised that other TB'ers haven't complained more about the time delay start up of these amps. I was playing gigs two different times when the power blinked momentarily and while everyone elses amp's keep putting out sound (other than a momentary glitch) I had to wait about 25 seconds before my stewart powered back up. In the middle of a live song 25 seconds feels like an eternity!:(

I sold it an replaced it with the QSC PLX 1602. Very similar amp in sound and quality areas. Also very light weight.

19. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I second that! Use it bridged or run that Whappo Grande you want to get off the other side :eek:

20. If you want the TF sound, and also want to go pre/power, I think that Dave is going to be coming out with a TF preamp soon. You might want to check into that.