1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Witholding songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fettbass, Jul 24, 2007.

1. So I'm in a band I'm slightly unhappy with. They're great guys, and reasonable musicians, but I feel like they shouldn't even be in a band right now. This is because they can't really commit to any practice time or rehearsals. We've had to cancel rehearsals two weeks in a row. The guitarist just had his first kid, and the singer just got engaged, so the time they can spend on band related stuff has really dwindled. We were supposed to be gigging a MONTH ago, and the drummer and I are ready, but they just aren't, and probably never will be. So the drummer and I have started a side project, with me playing guitar and bass, him drumming, and sharing writing and vocal duties. I've written a good 5 songs, he's written about 3, and here's where the problem lies. With my regular band, the guitarist will ask if we've written anything, and I usually don't share the ideas I come up with with the drummer, as I know that they won't go anywhere because of the aforementioned noncommitted nature of the guitarist and drummer. Am I being an ass?

2. Buzzgroove

Buzzgroove

Apr 11, 2007
    Scotland
    Get another band together man! Guys who won't rehearse or commit to anything are never going anywhere, don't tie yourself in with them.
    Getting engaged or having kids really doesn't stop you playing although they will if you're looking for excuses not to play anyway.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    they are YOUR songs, they do not belong to the band simply because you are in it. Be upfront about it and tell him you haven't written anything for THIS project and ask him if he is interested in collaborating with you on some stuff. If he isn't, then your band won't be getting anywhere fast anyways. If he is, and you like the direction it goes, you can consider using some of your other stuff.

4. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Why don't you just do your songs with both projects?

5. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I would say yes about being an ass towards your member that just had a baby, depending on how long ago it was.

6. about three months ago. Oh and the guitarist is male, so it's not he gave birth, it's his wife had a baby.

7. satchmo

satchmo

May 1, 2007
    Toronto
    Just start a new band. If you are serious about it.

I got caught in a group where half the members had no real aspirations, and while I was happy playing with them, I was disappointed that more effort wasn't put in on their parts, and because of it I feel I wasted a year of time I could've been in a more serious project.

Talk to your bandmates about your concerns, and if they want to step up and get as serious as you and the drummer do, then that's great. If not, call it quits and take your songs with you.

8. That doesn't mean that he's got as much free time as he did before she had the baby; Talk to the guys who you're unhappy with; that's the best road to take.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No.