1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wives & Rush

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tangentmusic, Jul 30, 2012.

1. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    So, this weekend my wife and I took a road trip.
    I was responsible for the driving, she the music selections.

After getting up to highway cruising speed, she puts in her first choice - Moving Pictures. Great. Love it. Great selection i'm thinking. Our vehicle has an awesome sound system, so she cranks it up. We listen to the entire disc without even talking to each other (it was loud anyway). CD over. Alright, that sounded great! I was wondering what she'd put in next.
    Assuming she would select another band, I was pleasantly suprised when she put in Hemispheres! Right on! Now i'm in a good mood. We're crusing along, diggin' the music and the trip. Fantastic. After the last notes of "La Villa" die down, she immediately swaps Hemispheres for A Farewell to Kings!. We are in total Rush marathon mode now and lovin' every minute of it!
    After Farewell, we take a bit of a music break to rest the ol' ears some. The conversation goes something like this:
    Me: so, you're really likin' the Rush tunes today, huh?
    Her: Yeah, their my favorite band.
    Me: Whaddaya like so much about 'em?
    Her: Everything. The songs, lyrics, guitar playing, drumming, bass playing and Geddys voice.
    Me: So, Geddy's voice isn't annoying to you?
    Her: Are you kidding? His voice is the best thing about them!
    Me: Really? Most women think his voice is too high and shrill.
    Her: I love it. I like his voice more on the eariler stuff than the newer stuff.
    Me: Whats your favorite album of theirs?
    Her: Moving Pictures.
    Me: Why that one?
    Her: Every song is a classic.
    Me: Whats your favorite song on it?
    Her: "Vital Signs"
    Me: Why "Vital Signs"?
    Her: The tune is great, but the lyrics really speak to me.
    Me: In what way?
    Her: You know, about deviating and elevating from the norm and things like that.
    Me: In all the years i've known you, you've never been normal!!
    She gives me a playful punch on the shoulder, and slams 2112 into the CD player. My wife is cool..
    What's your wife's opinion of the band?

2. hates them... Meh, I don't care. I feel the same way about Lady Gaga.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Anytime I want to be alone and not bothered by anyone, not even the woman I love... I put on Rush.

Actually, it draws my son, so it doesn't work too well, but basically...

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I think you have a fun, cool wife.

5. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    To the OP, you've been married to her for how long and you haven't brought up Rush to her before? Madness!

(only kidding)

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Both my exes dislike Rush. Admittedly, Im not the biggest Rush fan, and really only recently started to get into them.
    That said, my brother-in-law has been trying to push Rush on me for a while, and we all know how well indoctrination works... not very.
    My sister hates Rush.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    This is kind of a thread grenade, but:

I wouldn't mind seeing an all instrumental Rush album.
    I'd really enjoy that.

[Nothing against Geddy. I say this about other bands I like, too. I really like the instrumental portions of tunes more than the sung parts. I'm hoping Tom Scholz does a whole instrumental album someday.]

8. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I love Rush and my wife actually really likes them but I doubt she would listen to three albums in a row!

9. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    My wife likes Tom Sawyer, and that's the only Rush song she'll listen to. That's one more than me.

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I don't have a wife but a few years back I was dating a woman who really liked harder edged bands like Metallica, Rammstein, etc. as well as The Grass Roots and many other types of bands. Well, we planned a vacation to Toronto for a week and I specifically wanted to go on Canada Day to see Rush at the Molson Amphitheatre. When I told her I got tickets, she was so excited. We had a great time at the concert and see could not believe she got to see one of her favorite bands in their hometown.

11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Not much of a Rush fan myself, I have no issue with Rush themselves, it's their annoying fanboys that ruin it for me.

And just for laughs, here's an unlikely scenario:

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My wife does not like RUSH. I learned bass because of Geddy. She likes almost everything so I won't begrudge her few misses...

13. My wife is learning to like Rush and some of the other prog stuff i like so much, luckily she is a jazz player and is pretty open minded about music.

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    LOL !!!!

I will +1 that!

15. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    My wife loves Rush, actually she said the same thing your wife ( the OP) said when I asked what she liked about them? (Everything)

She also told me that she thought Alex is underrated as a guitar player and should be talked about more as one of the top guitar guys.. I agree actually, he does seem to fly under the radar when people have those best guitar player conversations.

16. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    My wife can't stand Rush, she said her best friend in high school used to play them non stop. One day while she was on the treadmill I put on the first album with out her knowing who it was (guess her friend never played it) she was shaking her head going yeah this is good....ha it's Rush she was like well ok you can play this anytime you want.

17. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    My wife doesn't hate Rush, but I wouldn't say that she would intentionally listen to them either.
    She grew up listening to her dads music, The Beatles, The Who, Yes, Frank Zappa, etc. She never really had a big Rush experience.
    The first time I had Rush playing in the car when we were dating, I was almost an unspoken law, learn to like it or get out.

18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    +1

+ I LOVE RUSH! :D

19. +1

My biggest complaint about "Clockwork Angels" was a lack of instrumentals.

(however, LOVED Snakes and Arrows, mainly due to the instrumentals)

20. Yeah I know what you mean. Have a pretty good friend who is a Rush geek. I once had a 2 hour conversation about Rush with him, I just listened while he kept praising, showing me video of a live show he went to, history of the band, yadda yadda. :rollno: