1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Wizzy 10, Barefaced one10, or Crazy 8

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Keithunem, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Keithunem

Keithunem

Jun 17, 2018
    Bemidji, MN
    I am blessed to have wonderful equipment for medium-large venues and even when I play small clubs I use just one of my Bergantino Ref 112 cabs. I’m going on a bluegrass cruise in January and looking for a small cab, hopefully 24 lbs or less to go with my Bergantino Forte. I’m not afraid to spend a little money and am looking at Wizzy 10, Crazy 8, Barefaced one10, MAS 18, etc. I know these have been debated before but I really respect the opinions I see here and I’m wondering if some of you wouldn’t mind throwing in another 2 cents. Thanks, Keith

2. I cannot comment on the others, but the Barefaced One10 is my go to. I have had who knows how many cabs in my decades of playing, and the Barefaced is the best of the lot.

Zbysek and Keithunem like this.
  3. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    As always, it all depends on your signal chain, particularly the pickup. Of the three cabs it was the OneTen that disappointed me. With my Lifeline it was just too dark, although I use a BF Super Midget for the louder gigs with great results. I have a great affection for the Wizzy 10 for the quieter gigs. I know the mids don’t appeal to everyone but they can be controlled if required. And it’s the mids that we should be bringing out for clarity and interaction with the other musicians on stage. The room will look after the lower frequencies.

4. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have both the Barefaced One10 and Super Midget. If you have to get only one cab, and you want something that can go loud but still very clear and sounds like your bass, and is easy to carry, get the Super Midget. The Super Midget would probably be a better contender in a match up against the other cabs you mentioned, which are all hi-fi. The One10 is a warmer and deeper sounding cab. If your bass is brighter sounding this can work great. If your pickup, strings, instrument are a darker sound the cab might get a little muddy. Both are great, but if you’re looking for one cab I recommend the Super Midget. I also recommend a pole mount and/or an On Stage amp stand that allows you to angle it upwards towards you.

monsterthompson and saltydude like this.
  5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS7500--on-stage-stands-rs7500-tilt-back-tripod-amp-stand

6. Keithunem

Keithunem

Jun 17, 2018
    Bemidji, MN
    Thanks guys, great advice as expected on this site. I have a Krivo magnetic and Yamahiko. I’m very satisfied with both buy use the Krivo more often since it’s easier to eq and no feedback. I wish the one10 had a small tweeter because I really do like the air and presence that allows. Wish I could try them. I also wish I could get a Bergantino single 10 as I love all the equipment they make! Have been emailing Greenboy for a week and no response so I think the crazy 8 is out, though I hear good things about it!

7. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    From my experience with the Berg heads they match up better with Berg cabs. I didn't care for it with other cabs I tried. If it were me I'd get a HDN112 and put one these on it:

Three-Stage removable Surface Mount Extension Handle with Wheels

I have one on my Wizzy 12 and it will spoil you!

8. Keithunem

Keithunem

Jun 17, 2018
    Bemidji, MN
    Looks like a great tool. I don’t have an issue hauling my 44lb. Reference 112’s, just looking for a smaller cab I can move around with amp in hand, etc. I really want to stay in that 20lb range as this will be used to move around on a cruise ship and really small places where everyone else is playing acoustically.

Zbysek likes this.
  9. notabene

notabene

Sep 20, 2010
    SF Bay area
    I missed highs from my one ten, until, following the manufacturer's instructions, I placed it so it is raised up enough, and then the quite directional highs turned out to be there. On the floor, I couldn't hear enough highs. Placed on a chair, or stool, they are present. I assume the room hears them. I love the one ten, as does my back. Light weight and warm sound, but not stuffy, nor booming.

Steven

Zbysek likes this.
  10. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I won't comment on other cabs, but since I'm the designer of the Crazy 8 and MAS18 I can compare those two. The 18 goes louder than two Crazy 8's , deeper by a half of an octave--and has much more authority in the low end.

Zbysek and Keithunem like this.
  11. Keithunem

Keithunem

Jun 17, 2018
    Bemidji, MN
    Thanks for the info Steven. What pickup, and amp do you use? The one10 definitely meets my size a

12. Keithunem

Keithunem

Jun 17, 2018
    Bemidji, MN
    That well may be the answer, I know a lot of really knowledgeable players who swear by your 18!

Zbysek likes this.
  13. notabene

notabene

Sep 20, 2010
    SF Bay area
    carved czech bass, Full circle, through an erlund preamp (for volume control on the bass), Walter Woods green light 400 watt, to the one 10. Would go louder than I have ever had need for.

Ric Vice likes this.
  14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Love the Ehrlund EAP, it sounds great through a Walter Woods amplifier. I've found that just plugging the EAP directly into the Woods gives me more control over the EQ of the pickup.
    Since I have the Woods Electroacoustic Ultra that gives me more headroom to play with as it's 600 watts into 8 Ohms. With the Ehrlund Pre Amp in line after the EAP the low end
    comes up so fast when you increase the volume, it's harder to EQ. It's better with the Ehrlund Pre on the Hi setting, but ultimately it's easier to just take the preamp out of the signal path.

15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    You can use PJB Ear Box (in addition to one10) which will give you the presence you require....and the rig will still be under 19 lbs...

P: EB-001 | Phil Jones Bass

bassfran likes this.
  16. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    But isn’t the Earbox a monitor? And won’t add to the sound the audience and band gets from your bass?

17. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes, exactly. It's a near field monitor for the player...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  18. Keithunem

Keithunem

Jun 17, 2018
    Bemidji, MN
    Z...that’s great advice. Thanks for the idea, I will give that some serious thought. I think I will start out with just a basic stand to eliminate coupling and get sound pointed toward me.

Zbysek likes this.
  19. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Good luck! Let us know how it went.

20. I can't compare but FWIW I have been quite happy with my setup Bass -> Troll -> AcousticImage Clarus SL-2 -> OneTen. The thing that's important to take into consideration with the OneTen is that it isn't a hifi cab like the Barefaced SuperMidget cab so it does color the sound which you may or may not find a problem.

Zbysek likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021