Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wizzy + CXL-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seanm, Jan 23, 2005.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Has anybody tried the wizzy and the CXL-112 togeather? Does the 4 ohm wizzy take all the power from the CXL-112 or does it tend to balance out. I have an iAMP 500, so the 2.7 ohm load is not a problem.

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    At one point I had both cabs together with the same amp. They actually compliment each other pretty well despite the different impedances. The wizzy has more low mid bump while the the Cxl has super deep lows and sparkly highs that the wizzy lacks. The wizzy is just slightly louder at the same amp settings but the Cxl is capable of more volume before fartation. This was all done in my bedroom - I never got a chance to gig with both cabs as I only had them together for a few days (sold Cxl, kept wizzy).

3. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hmm, sounds good. Sounds like the two compliment each other.

My thinking was that since the wizzy is lower power, the impendence will go up as the speaker is pushed and this will let the CXL-112 have more power since it will just be coasting.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have tried these two together, and agree that sonically, they are a very good match. At lower levels, the volume balance is fairly close, too. My main concern would be driving the two of them really hard, as the Wizzy should be seeing 2/3 of the power (as it is 4 ohm), and as noted, it is the CxL-112 that is rated to handle more power.

That said, I drive two Wizzy's with my iAMP 800, so each is seeing about 500w, and they handle it just fine.

5. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am worried about overpowering the Wizzy too. I was thinking of trying to talk EA into selling a headless iAMP 500 combo :D One less thing to carry and it is under <50 pounds.

However, I can't keep the CXL-112 if I am not using it, I don't have the room. But if I am getting rid of the CXL-112 I could just get a Schroeder 1212....

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Do you mean just an unpowered Wizzy cab (which they do offer) or a Wizzy combo with no amp but room for a 2-space head (which they might be willing to do for you)?

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The later. It looks like the new iAMP 500 combo is just a wizzy with the iAMP bolted on top. Since I have the iAMP 500, I might get a deal. However, I am only toying with the idea. And I may just keep the CXL-112.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think that the iAMP 500 Combo is the iAMP 200 Combo with the 500 head and a slight modification for speaker jacks. If you contact EA, I bet they would sell you what you are considering, if you go that route.