1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wizzy rattle

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TroyK, Mar 25, 2009.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My Wizzy was rattling/buzzing tonight. sounded like the cone but I'm hoping it's the screen or something, I'll check it out tomorrow. Anyone had this happen?

Troy

2. Yes.I think it's the screen on my m-line 12"..but,I think I pushed the standard 12" with My B-string pretty hard one night(I use them for EB mostly) and,it may be the cone rattling.One way to tell is,play a low note@ the volume it rattles,let it sustain then,apply some pressure(I use My hand)to the screen if it stops-BINGO if not...:meh:...IMO,IME.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    :) <---- (click)

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    When I got my first one, it rattled straight outta the box. EA replaced the driver, deeming it defective, but I never got details on which part was bad.

No problem since, and while they had my Wizzy, they sent me one of the M-Line prototypes as a loaner.

:hyper:

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    My Wizzy 12 rattled right out of the box, too.

It got sent back and hasn't had a problem since it returned. I don't know what was done to it, but there was a note about replacing some of the plastic corners.

6. Not a Wizzy...but my NL-210 went through about 3 drivers to get rid of a buzz..

7. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    wow i wish these popped up before i bought one..lol. Anyways.. YEA what chris fitzgerald said... I have one of those in the mail now apparently.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys, especially Chris for the exact answer that I didn't search for first. :^/

I've had my iAmp for 2 or 3 years now and it's the first ever rattle, so I anything is defective. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the screen and will fool with it a bit between now and the Saturday night gig. If it turns out to be the cone/driver I'll reach out to EA. If it's just tightening or dampening the screen, I'll bet I can figure something out.

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    2 or 3 yrs?

Y'know, I bet mice skeletons and stuff would rattle something fierce....

:eyebrow:

10. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've owned and extensively used an original Wizzy, a Wizzy M, and a Wizzy 10 all with no problems whatsoever. Frankly I'm a little surprised to hear about these issues.

11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings

I was the third owner of the 10 and played over 100 gigs with it and never noticed a problem either. The verticallygiftedArsenio plugs it in and gets buzz city whenever he hits a D. Go figure.
    Did I become gradually deaf to something that was developing? More likely, something happened in shipping.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I never noticed the rattle in mine until I got my Rob Allen Mouse, which puts out a ton more low end than my DB's do. Once it shook the grill loose on the Wizzy, I had the rattle on DB as well until I installed the "fix". If it's the grill, the repair is really so easy it's ridiculous.

13. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I've run the pork chop through it many times, cranking the active bass control to the max. Granted, the Focus is bass shy but I should have caught it.

The very tall former talkshow host pm'd me that he removed the grill and that took care of it. The 'fix' is on the way to him so that should do it.

14. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Dont' feel bad chief. May just be that his bass + pickup is resonating that cab in a way yours wasn't. As you know open D strings on some DBs are notorious for that overly resonant factor thing.

Great to know about the felt grill thingys, just in case.

FWIW, my Wizzy and M-line have never done this. Even dropped the Wizzy on its face once :)eek:) and it put a nice indentation in the grill. Still sounds fine.

15. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    wow clink your laying into my screename pretty hard..lol... The wizzy seems to be fine. Just waiting on the "kit". When I tightened every screw in the wizzy it seemed to just about eliminate the buzz.

16. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Who loves ya baby??? Glad you're happy.

17. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Kojak.

This question and answer amuses Mrs. Dar and it confuses and annoys my teenage daughters.

Good times.

18. MrSmith

MrSmith

Oct 26, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    Just received a new Wizzy 10 today. Right away I noticed a rattle which got really bad as I turned it up, but it sounded like it was coming from the back of the cabinet. After turning the cabinet around a few times and scratching my head I realized that it was the strap handle on the side. The area where the strap moves in and out is metal against metal and quite loose. Must be defective. Weird. Nobody else has experienced this? I'll be talking to the dealer in the morning.

19. MrSmith

MrSmith

Oct 26, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    The rattling handle is a known issue, EA is sending out a fix.