Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WM 10 vs. BA-115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizardKing45, Feb 4, 2001.

1. I am looking into a moderately priced amp to play with some friends, and my 12 watt crate cannot cut it! These amps are the same price, and i have heard people raving about both of them on this board.. so i want to know how they compare side to side, and i havent had an opportunity to try them yet.. and i dont have enough cash for em yet, but i want to set a goal. I wont be playing very much funk, although i do like to do an occasional slap line to impress the friends ;). I would mostly be playing heavy music, which would require quite a bit of volume to cut through the mix. Logic would say that the 100w 15" would have more volume than the 80w 10", but i dont know...Also, the swr is cabinet capable, so maybe that would be better later on? Please help me before I fry my brain and die of this painful G.A.S!!

2. rockthistown

rockthistown

Jan 8, 2001
    alot of people rave about the ba-115 i have never tryed it but i do own the wm10 and i love it.I use this mighty little amp to record with and just sounds fantastic. It does have a very modern sound to it, and can also get pretty loud for an amp so small. Add the Ex. cab and it really rocks. It has all the great features and it small and very easy to carry around.
    try them both out and good luck . let your ears tell you what to buy

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    It's somewhat of a relative term; "quite a bit of volume". I don't think either of those amps will cut it with a loud drummer or guitarist. I use a WM10 to jam with a single guitarist playing thru a 15W amp and it is fine for that. Add a drummer and I'm bringing the WM15 instead for its 160W.

4. Well, i did neglect to mention that i do not have a drummer. I usually play with one or two guitarists with small to medium amps. I do not know the exact wattage, but its nothing ear-shattering.. I think one has a small 15w peavey rage, and the other has some sort of fender, thats much louder than the peavey. i would want enough power and volume to cut through that.I dont want to be drowned out!

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You may have to tell the louder guy to turn down, not just for you but for the other guitar as well. You should be fine with either amp then. The WM10 is a LOT lighter and smaller than the Ampeg. You should go play both, and pick up and carry both, before you make a final decision.

6. Groove

Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    You can't go wrong with SWR! I sell the WM's 10 and I think you'll be surprised at the volume and the tone for a 10. If you can stretch it the twelve is even better.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Sometimes I play with two loud guitarists using the BA-112. It works well for me so the BA-115 should be OK.

8. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001

HEY Steve S,

I have a BA-112 and you are right about the output...I play with a keyboard player and drummer at my church with no problem of being heard......

peace, BJ

9. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    go for one of those vintage B-15s with the flip out head.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The WM10 and the BA-115 are two completely different classes of amp, though in the same price range. The WM that might compare to a BA-115 is the WM15.

The BA-115 is indeed heavier than a WM10 and it's louder and has much better low end reproduction, especially if you use a low B.

Now, compare the price of the two;) The BA-115 compares very favorably with the WM fifteen, which sells for $250-$300 more.

Check them all out if you can, for what you've described IMO the Ampeg is a bargain (relatively speaking). If you don't want the bigger sound of the bigger (and heavier)combo, the WM10 will probably be fine.

I don't own either but have played several and do own an Ampeg B-100R, another bargain.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    As Brad and Bernard have said, the Ampegs have great sound. I have the B100R and the BA-112 and they are both fine amps.

12. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Just out of curiousity, which do you like better and why?

13. solo175

solo175

Jun 26, 2000
    I had the same decision to make a couple of months ago. I went with the ba-115. I'm sure the wm10 is great but, logically the ba-115 is better. More power for less money. It sounds great. I play heavy music also and I have a pretty loud drummer and a gutarist. We recorded a couple of songs, and my amp was farther than anybody from the mic, And when we played it back, you could hear the bass real clear.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If you truly need the tweeter, the BA-115. I've used the B-100R (which I have) with anything from a passive 4 to an active 7 string and it sounds great...different than my other rig, but great. I play old school funk, progressive and trad. Jazz, Rock, oldies, fusion, pop, R&B, etc. Slap and fingerstyle.
    Haven't regretted buying the B-100R for even a split-second.

15. brad, i dont nessicarily need the tweeter, so which amp do you like better, the BA-115, or the B-100R? Any price difference there?

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I bought the B-100R. That's the one I like. I have yet to hear any bass I've plugged into one not sound good. That's almost weird.

The BA-115 has more features, you can't go wrong with it either. Neither will support extra cabs (haven't needed one) the B-100R has a 1/4" line out (no XLR... I still run to the board when needed so not a problem). I've owned several original B-15's and the B-100R reminds me of that tone, plus the ability to go low without stress. Sweet. The little sucker looks pretty good, too (a bonus IMO).

17. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The B-100R is a bit more expensive, which is why I couldn't justify getting one. I was on a tight budget, and the BA-115 seemed like a better deal. Maybe I didn't test the B-100R very well, but it sounded pretty midrangey compared to the BA-115.

18. Ok, you all have pretty much eliminated any hope of me buying the SWR WM-10.. But, i have not yet settled on the BA-115.. for the same price from carvin, i can get the
    PB200-15. That is 399 direct, and its 160 watts, instead of 100, and you can add an extention cabinet to it. however, one spec about it confused me.. "160 watts @ 8 ohms, 2 x 80 watts @ 4 ohms (two internal power amps bridged)" Now, is the current speaker and tweeter arrangement 8 ohms?.. And if i was to put an extention cabinet on, would it only give 80 watts? or would i bridge the two amps into the extention cab? I have thouroughly confused myself thinking about it. so now im officially changing this thread to BA-115 v. Carvin PB200-15...

19. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Lizardking: I've never tried the Carvin, but the specs look really good. It has more features than the BA-115, especially practical ones like tweeter control. I say go for the Carvin, and I wish I had known about it earlier.

As far as the amp power ratings, maybe it's a typo.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Cornbread, the B-100R is rear ported. I can't count the number of times I've seen them in stores with the rear ports blocked. They're important:)As far as the price, it's been in the very low $400 range for a while, ~$420. I bought mine used for $250. What is the current street price on the WM10?

I agree, the Carvin looks better on paper. I'd like for this to not sound like Carvin bashing, several people here are very satisfied with theirs. For "big" sound though, I think they pale in comparison to the Ampeg combos. I don't know if the B-100R is underrated or not, I know it's way louder and punchier than it's specs would convey. Specs don't tell everything and a problem I have with Carvin is that they seem to rely on specs to sell products instead of sound, which shoud be the primary concern. So...you get the latest buzzwords and specs with Carvin.

I think anyone interested in one (a Carvin) should check it out. I've done that several times;)

IMO the Carvin doesn't come close. The same low B that would instantly make a Carvin fart comes out great on the Ampegs. When you really push the PB-200 it sounds stressed. When you turn up the Ampegs...they get louder. A tweeter control is nice if you have an annoying one, like most of the WM series. Ampeg doesn't seem to have that issue.

I don't own any Ampeg stock and have no vested interest in them;) This has just been my experience with what I consider one of the best amps I've heard or used, regardless of price. It all depends on whether you like the Ampeg sound, which leans more towards traditional as opposed to some of the more modern amps, which don't really sound modern to me, just either thin and bright or muddy. I haven't been able to dial in Ampeg tone on the SWRs or Carvins. YMMV