Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WM 10 w/ extension or WM 15, which is louder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snowdan, Mar 12, 2006.

1. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    how much more powerful is a Wm 15 combo than a WM 10 w/ 1x10" extenson added?

i currently own both combos. i am torn between selling the WM 15 and getting the 1x10 cab (i'd get ~100 euros more for the amp than the cab costs) or keeping both combos as they are.

i bought the WM 10 for DB, but wonder how well it would perform for my 6string w/ the ext cab compared to the WM 15.

the thing is i could go to a gig with the little stack by bus, but hardly so with the WM 15. if the stack is only a bit less powerful, i would be OK.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In terms of speaker sensitivity, 2x10 is roughly on par with 1x15, so the WM15 will be about 3 dB louder by virtue of having twice as much power. But if you are not pushing the WM15 to its limits, then the little stack will probably be OK.

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well the WM 15 actually has only 120 for the internal speaker, the WM 10 puts out 100 watts into 4 ohms.

anybody with 1st hand experience? in particular, is someone here using the WM 10 stack?

4. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i am in my parents place now, where i can crank it up really. so i just made some a/b comparison. the 15 sounds that much clearer al the way. it is not a whole world louder (but 3/4), the limiter will prevent that. but it stays cleaner for that much longer. and the 10 develops insane vibrations and rattles here and there when you crank it. with the neuser 6string, it is the other way around than with the DB. 15 sounds much better compared to the 10. that goes for the low b in particular.

now i wonder how much better the 10 would get with the extension cab. it is my suspicion that not the speaker but the power amp of the 10 is the weak part.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I owned a wm10 with an extention. I used it for a while with a 4 string electric bass. I never compared directly with a wm 15, but I suspect the 15 WOULD handle (not fart) on a 5 string, but the wm10+10 might still fart at higher volumes. but I loved the portability of the wm10. I sometimes regret selling it.

do you have a cart for your amps? http://www.kart-a-bag.com/html/products.html

I have the tricart800 (in picture below) ...holds 300LBS, although I've really only carried about 100 Lbs.

[​IMG]

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mcrelly, you have described the scenario exactly. I owned both the WM15 and a WM10+10 at the same time. I sold the 15 when I got my Eden/Berg setup. The idea was to keep the small WM setup for the other room in my house when I want to play there, and also to have an ultra portable setup for small acoustic settings and the like. The 10+10 is not as capable at realistic volume as the 15 and it WILL fart when pushed a bit. The power is the weak link in the 10. It is, of course, much more portable but it is also less capable. Have you considered selling them both and getting a modular 12" cab setup? That's what I did and my new setup (Eden WT-550and Berg HT/EX 112's) is a quantum leap up in performance and is quite portable to boot!:)