WM 4004 vs. 350x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eerik, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Eerik

Jul 9, 2001

I´m about to buy a new a cab and a head to go with it but I just can´t make my mind about the head. As for the cab I´m pretty much determined with SWR WM 4x10T and I originally planned to buy a WM 4004 head to use with it but then started thinking would it be worth the extra money to buy the SWR 350x head. So, what´s your opinion on this? Or would some other head in this same price range do the thing even better? My main band plays metal but I do get other gigs too occasionally so I´d like the head to be versatile.

Thanks in advance.
  2. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I think I would consider the WM 4004 and a Goliath III before I would go with a 350x -> WM 4x10T.
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Of course, if it's feasable, the 350x with a Goliath III would be the optimal solution, but comparing those two heads with the same cab, I think I might have to say the 350x. I have a WM4004, and have been pleased with it, but hope to soon step up to the upper line stuff. You may be getting a little less power, but you're getting a much better pre-amp section. If you go with the WM4x10T, you're looking at an 8 ohm cab, and the 4004 and 350x push 260 and 230 watts, respectively. If you plan on adding another cab later, I'd say go for the 350x. If you want this to be your only cab, then I'd say WM4004 with a Goliath III. or you may want to wait a little longer, save a few more bucks, and look into the new 550x. Yet another thing to consider is that the 350x will run at 2 ohms, while the others don't say anything about it on the SWR website.
    Hope I helped, but I think I may have caused some more troubles!