1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WM12 + MXR M80 Bassdi+ = much better!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by momo, Mar 28, 2006.

1. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I was starting to get frusterated with my WM12 for a while now. It just has not had the kind of plug and play sound that my jazz bass usually delivers with most other setups. On a whim, I decided to plug my di+ into the fx return. The result? Bliss.

I don't know why I cant get the preamp section of the wm12 to work for me, but the thickness of the di+ really gets this little guy pumping. I used to use it straight into the power amp in my big rig, but it was recently replaced by an RBI. I am thinking about selling the RBI and getting another di+. It is just that good. The DI+ is a total sleeper in the DI/preamp world due to the crappy distortion, but the clean tone on the thing is awsome.

Any wm12 users bypassing the pre?
    Any DI+ users realizing the mite of this little box?

Bueller, Bueller?

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I do the same thing with my WM10. I use a Sansamp
    acoustic DI. (sweepable mids, active/passive DI, etc)
    I put it in the effects return. Totally wakes up my little
    WM10. Sometimes I'll run a Boss stompbox eq inline
    instead of the Sansamp. This also kicks ass.
    Does the Mxr M80 have a very different sound than the
    Sansamp? Has it got enough gain to run a poweramp?

3. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have run a power amp with it for some time, and it is about equal when compaired to an RBI. The sound is similar to the RBI with the blend at 0, but the lows on the RBI are a bit tighter. Not better, but thghter, sometimes I like the low bloom of the DI+ better. They sound close though.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    For a practice amp I dig the simple, pure tone of the workingman's combos (I have a 10 and have played the 12 quite a few times), but if you wanted more of a "rock" sound then a BDDI or MXR in front would be a fast and easy way to get it!

5. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    It is not to say that the WM12 was bad to begin with, it is just that they seemed a bit colored. Some sort of scoop in the mids and boost of lower bass frequencies made it not cut through as well. The DI+ just seems more transparent to my ears, much thicker.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I didn't like the sound of my WM-12 until I put my SABDDI in front of the input. It sounds a ton better like that. So much so, that I've said in the past that you shouldn't get a WM-12 without getting a SABDDI or, in your case, an M-80.

7. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I find its just easier to bypass the preamp completely.
    So as I understand it, the Sansamp would sound very
    similar to the mxr m80 in this application?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Easier? You're just picking a different jack to put the plug into. I don't use the M-80 that much, so I haven'nt A/B'd it with the SABDDI in this application. But I think the effect would be similar.

9. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I had tried my RBI into the front end of the wm12 and thought it was better, but in the fx return, it is night and day.

10. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    By putting the M-80, or for me the Sansamp Acoustic DI,
    in the effects return I'm bypassing the SWR preamp altogether.
    With my little WM-10 the sound is MUCH better. I like
    the sweepable mid control on the acoustic di. This unit
    is very similar to the electric bass version, without the
    overdrive function.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah, I was just thinking about this thread. I'm thinking of getting an M-80 to put into the power section of my Ashdown. Has anyone done this with their larger rigs live?

12. tried that, and thought it sounded great(clean-not the overdrive).
    but i do think my SAPBDDI sounds better through the instrument input of my SWR 220 than directly into the powramp.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think the WM series is a nice little amp. I had a WM10 that really kicked butt - even with the low B string. I used a TubeWorks 4001 in front of mine for a while and it was great.

14. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I ran this setup for years and I loved it. The only reason that I switched was for the minimal convienence of a rack unit, and an occasional need for some overdrive (which I am yet to need). Great all around box if you don't use the distortion.

15. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    After reading this thread, I tried my Godin A4 into the effects return of a WM10. Much more natural and smooth sounding, adquate volume, less hiss. I think my Fishman Pro-EQ also does well with EB, but not as clear as the amp's own pre.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I'm convinced that this will work with my Ashdown/Berg rig as well. I just plugged into the back of my Ashdown and the tone difference was astounding! I know this thread is about the WMan's stuff but thanks for putting the idea into my head. If I can get something to try this out with at my gig tonight than I'm going to go this route.

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Lemme get this straight: Does the little critter have enough juice to run a big poweramp, like say a QSC RMX?

Its time for a new rig soon, and MXR->Poweramp sounds good to me.

18. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yep! I have the M-80, BDDI and the Programable BDDI...oh yeah an MXR Micro Amp....gonna have it all hooked up tonight....can't wait!!!!!

19. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Great, thanks.

Looks like Im going MXR>QSC RMX 1850>Epi 410. :hyper: