Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WM12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrcrowUK, Feb 1, 2003.

1. i have a 1995-1996 model of the WM12
    with a celestion speaker
    anyone else using one of these
    and what eq settings are you using to get decent tone, mainly also are you able to use the aural enhancer effectively
    i am using a 4 string bass into mine..
    cheers:)

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have an early '94 WM12. I have been very pleased with the tone. EQ settings are dependent on what bass you are using (I too, play 4s). The amp is very clean and if you are too bright, try rolling off of the midrange and dropping the aural enhancer down. I like the aural enhancer between 12 and about 2 o'clock...it seems to make my sound more articulate. I generally run the treble at 12 o'clock and the bass between 10 and 2 o'clock. The amp, itself, is better suited to low volume practice and/or accompanying acoustic instruments. At the time that I purchased it, it had the best feature set of any amp of its kind. Still happy with it.

Kim

3. thanks
    needed some encouragement on this rather sterile combo
    i understand the wm15 has a better eq control
    i am considering the sansamp di to warm it a bit
    or change to another manufacturer
    cheers again

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    You might try turning off the piezo tweeter with the switch on the back, dialing your mids back to about 9 o'clock, bump the bass to about 2 o'clock and drop the treble to about 11 o'clock. Set the aural enhancer to about 9-10 o'clock and see if that helps get rid of the 'sterile' sound.
    I had played the WM15 and it, to me, had too much midrange. The 12, tonewise, is one of the nicest small combos that I have played through.

Good luck!
    Kim

5. thanks kim
    those are settings i havent used yet but will try
    ps i keep the tweeter off anyway
    cheers:)

6. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    When I initially got my WM12 a few years ago, I was generally very pleased with it, and only occasionally found it to be unpleasantly sterile. However, since I got the SansAmp BDDI, I always use it and always love the tone. (Two years later, there are still times when I am playing and I just can't help breaking into a big goofy grin after dropping a big fat "F" - - because the sound is so warm and "right.")

I highly recommend that you try the SansAmp with this amp.

7. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    I generally leave the bass, mid and treble settings flat, the tweeter off and the aural enhancer between 10 and 1.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I second this. It will blow your mind.

9. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Munji and Gus,

When you use the SansAmp BDDI with the WM12, are you bypassing the WM12 preamp or as an effects pedal?

10. i have been told this so often and ignored it as i am not an effects man
    but it looks like the sansamp is going to be a must to augment my wm12
    i will connect direct to it from the bass and then take an output to the lo input?? ok
    and leave the wm12 settings at mid.?
    the aural enhancer should be off?
    i see it has a control to blend 0-max of the affected signal
    will read a bit more on it
    cheers
    :)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just put it between the bass and the amp input. Boost the bass on the SABDDI a bit. You can still diddle the enhance knob if you're tempted.