Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wnat to learn honky tonk bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by junior, May 6, 2001.

1. junior

junior

May 6, 2001
    Austin, Tx
    I have played a little guitar over the years, but have always wanted to play bass. My musical interest is country and/or rockabilly. Does anyone know a good place to start to prepare to play this style of music. I just bought a Fender P-Bass and am trying to learn some scales to get my feet wet. I owned a bass about 10 years ago and played in a punk band, but that was just some 3 chord songs played with a pick. Can anyone offer a suggestion for a FNG.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There are a few videos on country and honkey tonk bass, plus I believe I have seen a recently published book/CD set on country bass. I know one video is called "The Lost Art of Country Bass", but I don't own it, so I can't vouch for it.

Check out this web site. They offer books and videos in all areas of bass playing. Last I checked they did have some country materials.

http://www.bassbooks.com

JO

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just checked the site myself. The "video" I referred to is actually a book/CD by Keith Rosier . I don't have the book, but I have "Jump and Blues Bass" by him and it is excellent. So I'm sure you will get your money's worth with this book. Also, it has an explanation of the Nashville Number Systenm used in Country music charts.

JO

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My thoughts would be that you'd be better of just listening to some of the music you want to learn...the bass lines are really very simple in most cases. The "honky-tonk", old-style country you might be thinking about (ala Hank Williams Sr., older Merle Haggard, etc.) is mostly based on a root - V pattern over a I-IV-V progression or a variation thereof. The rockabilly stuff will be more of a walking bass line proposition. In either case, the watchword will be SIMPLICITY. One new group that's out that really nails this style in a new way is BR-549...I like this band a lot. It's got elements of both rockabilly and the older "honky-tonk" stuff.

5. junior

junior

May 6, 2001
    Austin, Tx
    Thank you for your responces. Lately I have gotten into the so called Alt-country scene. In Austin we have a whole bunch of locals who are really good. My favorite is Cory Morrow and the Derailers. If anyone is into this style, give me a shout,