Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wo hoo!! More PA, more roles as bandmember...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Wo hoo!!

So last night was the first opportunity to work with Joe & his PA (latest bandmember, lead singer / bass player). Joe was a kick to work with and did a fine job. His PA:

Mackie 1604 vlz pro mixer
    Mackie sa 1521 tops
    Mackie swa 1801 subs

Holy shiite, it filled a large venue without even breaking a sweat. At one point, I turned down the PA because the room was saturated (PA so loud that you couldn't hold a conversation without yelling in someone's ear, and the stage mix was washed out). :eek: If anyone wonders what these powered Mackies are capable of, let me tell you, they can perform.

My role as a bandmemeber has changed a bit also:

I now sing lead vox on 2 songs, play about 15 songs on keys, sing plenty of backing vox, do some electronic percussion and play bass about 50% of the time.

Wife is getting chinese food, gotta go but just wanted to share in some good cheer and hope all is well for my TB friends.

:)

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like you're having fun wearing all those different hats - bully for you! :D

3. Thanks!! Different hats = never a dull moment. :)

Hey COVERTBURRO -

Do you sing? Backing or lead? Just curious.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The 15's with the tweeter and the 18's give your band a full range of sound. We have a set up like that and sounds awesome!

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No, I'm lame... :(

My wife is a studied vocalist (sings with a southern Baptist church choir -- and she's a rabid atheist -- yikes!) agrees that it's much better for me to keep my mouth shut onstage! :D

I've missed out on some great playing opportunities for lack of backing pipes, though...

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Blimp I did a sound gig recently for a guy who's regular operator left him in the lurch. The Pa turned out to be a powered mackie. I was in such a rush I didn't think to get the model numbers but it was a 15+horn midhigh, and a 15" bandpass sub.

I loved it. That thing sounded much better than is should for it's size.

But when I conveyed this to the guy who owned the PA, he said he'd had some problems with them. They have apparently shut down on him occasionally, usually on very hot days when the PA is running hard. He said he gets around it by not running the PA so hard is it's really warm, but it still gets plenty loud enough.

Good to hear you're enjoying the gigs. That's what it's all about.

7. COVERTBURRO -

Not singing does not make one... 'lame'. In fact, it is honorable to not sing if you feel you're not into it, or don't do well with it. :)

Pete - Re: powered speaks..

Yup, I personally have not encountered powered speakers when they go thermal and shut down. But I hear of it quite often. I guess my definition of 'loud' and pushing the limits of a system, are different for some people. FWIW - I personally do not own any powered speaker systems, I believe in the old fashioned separates approach (power amps with fans). But, nonetheless, those powered Mackies (15 + horn tops, 18" subs) are astounding in a large club.