Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woah! am I seeing this right?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, May 28, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I was just recently watching a video i downloaded of Weather Report, They're playing Black Market in Stadthall Offenbach. Where that is.

And there's a part where Zawinul is doing a run on the keyboards, but growing up playing piano, I realized. He's going left and the notes are getting higher, what the hell?

Is there anyone else who has noticed this?

Oh wait sorry, He has 3 keyboards infront of him. He plays the chords on the lower keyboard, and it's the middle one that he is playing...backwards.

Can anyone help me on this?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That video was taking during the brief time when Ashley Simpson was their keyboard player. :D

3. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Zawinul wired the keyboard on an Arp 2600 backwards at one point to change his mindset about technique. No joke!!!

4. Yep. Genderblind is 100 percent right.

5. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    I noticed this a while ago. Messed with my head a bit! Great stuff!

6. Wow. Being a keyboardist myself, I find this extremely impressive.

Thanks for sharing that!

7. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I don't know if it is the same video, but I saw this too. Thought I was seeing things at first! I read in an interview that he likes to wire the one keyboard backwards sometimes because it helps him come up with new ideas. I get the idea, but what a freak! Heheh

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can see the point of this - so in Jazz classes it has often been mentioned how you don't want to fall into the trap of playing "visual" patterns that you see on a fretboard or keyboard.

So - this would make sure that he was playing what he heard, rather than a keyboard pattern.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow... that's... wow.

*considers playing bass left handed*

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pete Cosey, while with Miles, would re-string his guitar in various configurations....& would reek havoc with the guitarists in the audience.

Matt-
    Some bass book I have suggests re-stringing &/or playing left-handed to get outta ruts. I have never tried either(thought about them)...another 'trick' is reading music from "right-to-left" or "upside down"...the book is flipped over(not you).

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Mostly I've been messing with strange tunings... but this all could be considered. *ponder*