WOAH!! should i go for a wish bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 4, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ok. i e-mailed him about a bass..a hippie body style.
    rear routed.
    i send all hardware
    truss rod!!
    a regular head stock
    blah blah
    flamed maple top (im goin to send to him)
    dyed black with gloss finish..

and i asked him to take his time to make the best bass possible..i don't care if it takes 4 months.

and all for $350.

jazz pups. kahler trem bridge....hhmmmm maybe not..

so do you think i can spen my money on better things? or should i just go for it...

and o fretted
  2. For the price, I'd say go for it. Even though the construction of his basses are notoriously of the crappiest, I've heard they sound good.

If you don't like it, you could always put the axe in it and use it as a firestarter. Let us know how it turns out (how it smells as it burns, the color of the smoke, etc.)... ;)
  3. wait...are you going from that MTD to a Wish?

4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what is the value of the parts that you are providing? Buy it and if you don't like it, take the parts off and sell them to recoup the cost.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    just looking for a beater bass...

and something intresteing..you never know they maybe a collecter item one day....:eek: :p

6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I just ordered a WishBass. My own body design. 2 pups, truss rod, Rosewood Sandwich body, Ebony fretboard, Badass Bridge. Each pup to have its own jack (stereo?). $600. :bassist:
  7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Without a doubt, he is the least expensive custom bass builder out there. Before you spend the money, read around what owners of his basses have said. For $350 + cost of parts, you can find a nice used bass. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend all that money on such a risky venture.
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well as of right now i have plenty of sturdy basses...so im willin to try soemthing different

9. i'd say go for it... but i wouldn't trust him with a trem.
  10. ...Nor with frets.
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ahh, BUT, its a CUSTOM bass! If it come out sucky, IT IS sucky by my specs! I am willing to go for it.:D
  12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    You could find a hell of a beater for $350. All you are going to get from Wish is a piece of crap. Waste of money IMHO......
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    My money.... my crap, thank you:p
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Here's my Wish story.
    I ordered the first single-cutaway wish bass.
    It looks like a cross between a Les Paul, and a Danalectro bass.
    Poplar body
    Mahogany top and back
    Mahogany -purpleheart neck
    Jakota fingerboard
    5-string fretless E A D G C
    with trust rod
    Single Ken Armstrong pickup
    Huge neck think upright neck on electric bass.
    Bass was setup well, plays good.
    Sounds great.
    All wish basses have huge necks. if you don't have big hands, or like large necks this bass is not for you.
    My bass was 3 in. at the nut.
    41/4 in. at end of fingerboard.
  15. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I never heard of Wish Bass before this thread so I went to his web site. I would not spend money on a bass from someone who Adjustable Truss Rod is an Option. That is scary. Then he appears to be pushing fretless basses. Makes me wonder how accurate pitch-wise his fretted basses are.

I thought it would be someone making inexpensive Fender clones and has it down to a science. All this custom this and custom that to me sounds like it fancy looking bass, that will fall apart in a year or so.

If I were doing it, I would get a body and neck from someone like Warmoth along with your parts. Then take the parts to a local guitar maker or repair shop and pay them to finish, assemble, and setup the instrument. Or Carvin sells bass kits that all you do is finish and assemble. You may not have some eye-candy bass, but you'd have a good solid axe to play.
  16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well i spec'd a p-bass sized neck..all around...

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well the thing is i can make a warmoth bass..hell i can make my own bass from scratch...but not from what hes charging..

and the neck is like an upright bass..they don't have truss rods either..

and it simple...fretless basses are easier to make than a fretted bass

18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    this is the way I look at it: I've got 5 good basses. They all sound good, they all play nice. There is no LOGICAL reason to get another, EXCEPT... I designed this one. There won't be another like it, because its a product of my own fevered mind and Wish's skills. Is it a vanity product? Yes. Why not? Its like designing your own stage clothes. You could get a good looking suit and impress the world, but, you'd rather come up with your own style. That could be a diaper and war-paint, but Its your diaper and war-paint and your look! Think of this as my diaper (warpaint pending).